Review Cats turn Lions into wet pussies at the Gabba by 26 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Knevitt and Hardie both deserve a run in the senior side.

Trying to get them in ...with the next 3 to 5 weeks will be puzzle as its a difficult group of games. Be a huge game for Hardie to debut at the G with a big crowd against a up and about Blues

totally agree...

also other people.....

yeah lets be like north and GWS and GC and cook all our kids from day 1 in the AFL... break them physically and mentally too whilst at it. 4 seasons of spankings. Saints kids must luv their playing AFL from rd 3-22 each year and then having September off.

But hey at least they are playing right?!?!?!

Expectation levels can GAGF.

There .. I said it.

GO Catters
You most certainly did say it - and I listened 😳

I do agree that battling to get a game is better than being gifted games in bad teams - no doubt.

We only have to go back to Dempsey who played out his skin in VFL last year (a rare 20 yo in VFL team of the year as consistently good 20 yo are normally high draft picks playing AFL). I bet he is happy he played only 1 full game last year at Cats as opposed to 23 at Hawks…. And comes in 2024 with a break out game but more importantly for me is now just playing a (very useful) role consistent over first 6 games

Having said that there is a balance with Neale for example who is in 4th year…

Actually I thought he was pretty good in atrocious conditions last night.
I am completely confused as to how I feel about Duncan. I see both sides (he is aging or he is crucial!)…maybe both are true…

In the end I suppose we can’t have too many aging but crucial stars given the importance of team defence and running both ways…

I would not be shocked on opposite scenarios this year…either he gets squeezed out as we win the premiership or he becomes crucial to our premiership win (see how both scenarios have a good outcome though!).

You look at the older players i think in terms of rotating them to give the guys you named games. 6-0 allows us to do it. Then by about round 20 you make a call on who the best 22 is.
Bews is gone (not coming back)
Soon i think tuohy will join him in the vfl
Tuohy out allows games into clark/hardie/mannagh.
You rest stanley every 3rd week or so and play conway.
You rest hawkins another 3 or 4 times this year and play neale.
The hard one is how you get rohan games as hawkins aside all the other fwds are young (and its the older guys we will want to rest).
I would probably rest duncan (who looks like he is struggling) at stages and maybe play rohan off the hbf (its the only way he makes the side anyway).
We probably wont rest blitz as we dont have a like for like swap but hawk danger duncan stanley etc will all get rested.
I still think parf will just miss the 23 due to his lack of versatility.

Our squad for this year is essentially last nights 23 (swap either conway or stanley as the ruck) plus guthrie then mannagh and hardie as the next 2 in, then knevitt just behind them. Mullin is 29th as the emergency defender (though honestly if a defender got injured i think we would just move bowes or moc/atkins back there and keep parf in) and neale or rohan in case of a fwd injury.

Outside that 30 no else is in contention this year (although i like stevens humphries osullivan and clohesy long term). COS or humphries might get a game or two to reward effort but they wont be in the 23.
Playing rohan off half back is a terrible idea. Tried that at Sydney and was shocking. I would rather debut Humphries.
Trying to get them in ...with the next 3 to 5 weeks will be puzzle as its a difficult group of games. Be a huge game for Hardie to debut at the G with a big crowd against a up and about Blues
It's not that much of a puzzle. Drop Clark.

I understand concussion protocol and timely diagnosis, but there is a genuine concern for the welfare of our player, rather than just as a superstar chess piece. Stewarts head crash, nose forward was sickening and he dropped like a rock.
There would have been immediate evidence of head/facial injury, as being pulled from the ground indicates.

Chris Scott's continued pretense of ignorance on known injury is beyond irritating, particularly when he says I'm not to be trusted on that question. He knows the question will be asked in the presser and is no doubt more informed than he likes us to know, if not, get the bloody answer! Even the punters here called a broken nose at the least.
No one is asking for a full medical report, or for him to make a fool of himself, just be a bit more upfront and sympathetic to concerns, instead of the same pat answer. Frankly he is treating interested parties as mushrooms.

Lions are inconsistent. Full of big heads, front runners, i-am-ers. 1 city, 1 team. Never get dropped despite poor performances.

Rayner has played one good game in his career at Lions. (last week)
Hipwood has played 3 in his career.
Cameron is inconsistent in front of goal, and may not play anyway.
Daniher is an inconsistent glamour boy that pisses in his own bathwater.
Zorko is a little grub, his game is fading fast.
Fagan is clueless as a coach and is only complimented by the best list in the AFL (arguably)

They are very good when its time to look in the mirror. Last week they caught a glimpse of themselves and show-ponied up v the Dees. One would expect that in the spotlight at home they should again pull out a good game from their asses. BUT, they played well last week, and often thats enough for these front runners... they got no guts, they slack off. They got no bottom if it gets really hard. When they play well, they know it, and expect to get a rest late in games. If Geelong are there at the end, still putting it to em, Lions will fold like the skin on a cold custard. Same colour and all..

Last edited: Tuesday at 12:54 PM

Told you all so..

From what I’ve seen in the VFL, Hardie’s a very smart footballer. I reckon he’d step up fairly seamlessly. Will be hard trying to squeeze him in, but he’s gonna make the MC find a way sooner or later if he keeps his VFL form up.

The wet weather really exposed how unthreatening Brisbane are ball in hand. In contrast we repeatedly got the ball over top despite the conditions. Once their ruckmen went down, they had no chance. We got lucky, was a bad game to give Conway a shot.

Overly offensive players are overrated, Poor play from Neale resulted in us getting multiple goals when the score was still close.

Z.Guthrie and Stengle were massive with Duncan really clean, Hawkins showed his football IQ with that torp goal assist not so much with the 100 metre pen. Cameron's workrate stood out. O.Henry almost had a big night, just need to be a little cleaner with the ball. Danger did a lot of small deft touches that would have been easy to miss. Midfield battled well, very even group. Our KPDs played deep and acted as a wall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand concussion protocol and timely diagnosis, but there is a genuine concern for the welfare of our player, rather than just as a superstar chess piece. Stewarts head crash, nose forward was sickening and he dropped like a rock.
There would have been immediate evidence of head/facial injury, as being pulled from the ground indicates.

Chris Scott's continued pretense of ignorance on known injury is beyond irritating, particularly when he says I'm not to be trusted on that question. He knows the question will be asked in the presser and is no doubt more informed than he likes us to know, if not, get the bloody answer! Even the punters here called a broken nose at the least.
No one is asking for a full medical report, or for him to make a fool of himself, just be a bit more upfront and sympathetic to concerns, instead of the same pat answer. Frankly he is treating interested parties as mushrooms.

Chris Scott doesn’t owe you an explanation of a player’s injury.

You look at the older players i think in terms of rotating them to give the guys you named games. 6-0 allows us to do it. Then by about round 20 you make a call on who the best 22 is.
Bews is gone (not coming back)
Soon i think tuohy will join him in the vfl
Tuohy out allows games into clark/hardie/mannagh.
You rest stanley every 3rd week or so and play conway.
You rest hawkins another 3 or 4 times this year and play neale.
The hard one is how you get rohan games as hawkins aside all the other fwds are young (and its the older guys we will want to rest).
I would probably rest duncan (who looks like he is struggling) at stages and maybe play rohan off the hbf (its the only way he makes the side anyway).
We probably wont rest blitz as we dont have a like for like swap but hawk danger duncan stanley etc will all get rested.
I still think parf will just miss the 23 due to his lack of versatility.

Our squad for this year is essentially last nights 23 (swap either conway or stanley as the ruck) plus guthrie then mannagh and hardie as the next 2 in, then knevitt just behind them. Mullin is 29th as the emergency defender (though honestly if a defender got injured i think we would just move bowes or moc/atkins back there and keep parf in) and neale or rohan in case of a fwd injury.

Outside that 30 no else is in contention this year (although i like stevens humphries osullivan and clohesy long term). COS or humphries might get a game or two to reward effort but they wont be in the 23.
Disagree.
Parf is in our best every week, and offers things that we need. His tackling pressure is huge, he displays leadership out there, and you forget he was a top 22 player 2, 3, 4 years ago. Last year was his annus horribilis, but he is a pivotal mid, at the perfect age. We need him, his teammates love him, and CS loves him. He's not missing the 23 this year, unless injury, which has been his downfall in other seasons.

Love your posts but disagree. Even the medical team does not have XRay vision, and until a player has been fully assessed and investigated, it IS guesswork to make comments. Besides, you saw it as it happened, as did the punters, so let's be patient. CS IS upfront and sympathetic, that's why he covers bases, and says nothing that could be used against him later on, ie anything incorrect is jumped on.

You're obviously not a journalist, a psychologist that understands emotional investment, or a relative.
A relative would not rely on a presser to discover what the status of the player's injury is.
A good journo always has "my sources", and the truth will be revealed when it's appropriate.

Clark has played less than 5 games and spent all last year on the sidelines.

Any expectation needs to be pushed to 2025 as this is really his first year.

Based on what ive seen so far he'll be an ovenight success in the MF 3 years in the making come 2026.

Let them slow cook FFS. Its called development.

GO Catters
On top of all that we need to remember he is playing the most physically demanding (aside from Ruck) position in the game - inside mid.

He is not floating around half back getting fed the ball and playing bruise free footy. He is at the bottom of packs and clearances trying to extract the hard contested ball.

He is routinely competing with the oppositions hardest and strongest mids and he is physically just not there yet.

That doesn’t mean he is no good, it just means he needs some time to get bigger, stronger and used to the beating.

He clearly had the will for the contest, can use the ball well and had the appetite for tackling. Every sign for him is positive, he just needs time. We will not see anywhere near his ceiling for another 80-100 games and 5+extra kgs on his frame. Look out when it happens, he will be great.

The other thing that stood out to me last night was our tackling.

Not just the sheer number of tackles, but the effectiveness of the tackles. In wet weather it can be so hard to stop a player who has forward momentum and more often than not we were able to stop Brisbane players in their tracks and either force a stoppage or turn the ball over.

It broke their spirit and eventually they rolled over.

Ehhh... I don't think that drafting a player so another team doesn't draft them - only for them to sit in the VFL - is particularly wise or productive.

I suspect that the emergence of Dempsey, Parfitt and Bruhn has probably pushed him out of the side that we thought he was a good chance to slot into at this point in time.

I dont think it was why we drafted him but its worked out to be a bonus since he was clearly going soon after the pick we used, and likely to a top 6 side and we look like we will be top 6.

I suspect that we drafted him to slot straight into the smith role and how well dempsey has performed straight up on a wing has surprised us and made it harder for him to get in. I think after a bit more vfl time as a genuine mid he will be back in and by end of year/start of next year he should have a clear path in (i think people will be surprised how many guys retire this year).

Love your posts but disagree. Even the medical team does not have XRay vision, and until a player has been fully assessed and investigated, it IS guesswork to make comments. Besides, you saw it as it happened, as did the punters, so let's be patient. CS IS upfront and sympathetic, that's why he covers bases, and says nothing that could be used against him later on, ie anything incorrect is jumped on.

Fair enough but I still think he's overly evasive, maybe just improve the terminology a tad.
If Stewart failed a concussion test, then there's no winding back on that, so say it, along with some other stuff like he's doing well at the moment, but we'll know more later. Doesn't take much instead of pleading poor me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back