Preview Round 5, 2022: St.Kilda v Gold Coast - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 16th April, 1:45PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 50 74.6%
  • Suns

Votes: 17 25.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They sure are, Have got a player back who I was told was trying to get to the saints before covid hit, L.Weller. He is starting to hit his straps and has got great running power. Unlike his bro, who is still playing in Tasmania but is bigger than Luke O'Sullivan ever was.....
They are young and fast but we should be able to beat them
Gotta say our midfield have picked up their game and that’s what is going to be needed. Crouch, Steele, Gresh, Ross and co will be critical. Play with the intensity we’ve seen and we win.

Gotta say our midfield have picked up their game and that’s what is going to be needed. Crouch, Steele, Gresh, Ross and co will be critical. Play with the intensity we’ve seen and we win.
Just going through the team stats and the Suns are very average in all stats except hitouts ( 1) and Inside 50's (2)

Campbell was ok for Sandy on Sunday

Just need to put a clamp on T. Miller and we should go ok

Your boy Anderson was the issue this week, 35 touches, 32 for Touk, 31 for Weller with silver service from Witts. Rowell can get plenty if he wants to as well. Our mids need to be on and I think Campbell makes sense due to Witts size.

On the Couch just put a lot of their stats up they're no push over

Yeah we'd be complete idiots to not take them seriously. They're are up and about.

Look at this, practically go long through the middle and keep it locked in the forward line. Maybe they'll switch it up now against us haha.

1649677500209.png

Yeah we'd be complete idiots to not take them seriously. They're are up and about.

Look at this, practically go long through the middle and keep it locked in the forward line. Maybe they'll switch it up now against us haha.

View attachment 1369716

Same plaudits that the Hawks got last week so keep it coming.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Haven’t seen Campbell play since preseason but seems a risk in terms of what he’ll contribute other than tapwork.

Does he have the mobility to impact around the ground?

From his two VFL games he's had a total of 34 disposals, 2 goals, 4 marks and 73 hitouts. Certainly no Bily Longer around the ground. I'd back him in this week - Hayes would be absolutely slaughtered by Witts in the ruck.

Out: Ryder, Long (moved to sub)
In: Campbell, Higgins

B: Paton, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Sinclair, Battle, Webster
C: Hill, Steele, McKenzie
HF: Higgins, Membrey, Wood
F: Butler, King, Gresham

Foll: Marshall, Crouch, Ross
Int: Campbell, Lienert, Wangmil, Windhager

It's been a long time since I've felt like this after a game. Yeah 2020 was great, but no win made me feel as satisfied and excited as Sunday did.

Now it's Monday, my day off work, and I've been refreshing big footy, the AFL subreddit and watched/listened all the footy content I could find and taking in all the positives the media has to say about saints footy. Been on the couch all day if I'm honest.

I'm ITCHING for the game to come around Saturday. I can't get enough of Saints content at the moment.

This doesn't have anything to do with the game next week. Just a general feeling I have that I haven't felt since probably 2010. Not saying we are as good as that team, but just saying the team hasn't made me this excited since then

We simply HAVE to keep the foot down. Our biggest problem we have had for a few years is we get a little run going before a reality check hits us and derails our season. Need to be consistent.

On Pixel 4 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app
Same, It's a great feeling right? I really wish there was more content to be honest.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Higgins for Long or Windhager I'd guess.

Ideally Ryder gets off but knowing St kilda he'll cop a ban. Agree that we need to be mindful of Witts he's a big unit so Campbell might be the play there.

Banana peel game, the Gold Coast are 2-2 and have their early season form kinda ok. Need to control the game early and get them on the back foot
1 game and then out for Windy? Absolutely no thanks.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sucks Ryder is out but we are good enough to beat them without him.

Marshall is a good ruck in his own right and our mids have stepped up recently. Miller, Anderson, Rowell are good but Steele, Crouch, Gresh are no easy beats.
Ryder is still one of the best ruckmen around but we all know he is in the twilight of his career and we have to start to realize he will not be around for ever and Marshall has to start to up his game.
Marshall has only played 69 games and is taller and 10kg heaver than Paddy so in all reality he should be a way better tap ruckman than what he is actually showing.
For instance Tom Hickey was a very mediocre ruckman up until he went to Sydney where he has upped his performance in the ruck and at the age of 31 it has taken time and as they say most rucks don't actually hit there straps until they get to the late 20s.
So playing against Witts should be a good challenge for Marshall and size wise he matches up ok being 8cm shorter and 6kg less in weight is not all that bad compared to Ryder who weighs 16kg less and 12cm shorter.
We all know Ryder makes up for the weight and size with his leap and is one of the best tap rucks around but it's time for Marshall to take it to the better ruckmen and I'm sure he can.

Even if Marshall can halve the contest at best it should help enormously in getting a advantage in the midfield , to me our biggest problem is Miller , the guy is at the peak of his game and I rate one of the best 3 midfielders running around.
He has the running ability of Hill but can win contested ball , he is there trump card.
GWS were so worried about Miller they had 2 players tag him out of the game , the reason he is so good is his speed and our midfield is lacking in this department - this is why when Jones comes back it should help tremendously.

Anyway our midfielders can blunt there midfield by our pressure , contested possessions and tackling which hopefully will work in our favor.

Apart from there midfield we have them more than covered , we have role players who are exceptional and only get a small mention from the media when we win like Wilkie how he made Gunston look average.
Lienert has also slotted into this role and his best asset is his disposal which when I watched the replay against Hawthorn was elite.

Our forward line to me is the best in the AFL with King , Membery , Higgins , Gresham and Butler.

So in all I do expect us to win this game however we know no game is easy and if we don't bring our attack on the football we will lose like Carlton.
We need to win this game and win well , increase our % and just keep building the belief in the team.
A loss to the Gold Coast will be a massive blow knowing the fallout will knock the confidence out of the team with the media piling on like usual.

With the likes of Billings , Clark and Jones out of the team we know our side has massive upside.

Yeah I wasn't really counting the sub, just for the 22

Wood would be the sub if he were dropped though I'd say
Watching Wood play I see they have him using his elite running - helping in defense and being a threat up forward so I couldn't see him being dropped unless his form drops off dramatically.
He is another of the role players who are doing there job along with Lienert , however it will comedown to the oppositions lineup who we go with where.
This week with Ryder out I fully expect Hayes to come back in and Higgins for Long and I only feel these will be the changes.

I have read about bringing in Campbell but really why bring him in if we are going to use Marshall for most probably 90% of the time in the ruck.
Hayes has showed he can be a threat in the forward line and around the ground, Campbell has been impressive in the VFL but really we need to get games into guys who have a future at the club.

Your boy Anderson was the issue this week, 35 touches, 32 for Touk, 31 for Weller with silver service from Witts. Rowell can get plenty if he wants to as well. Our mids need to be on and I think Campbell makes sense due to Witts size.
Yeah Anderson will be a special player with another 30 games under his belt
The little bits of the game i seen Miller was the engine getting them going

Yeah Anderson will be a special player with another 30 games under his belt
The little bits of the game i seen Miller was the engine getting them going

Miller is a star. He's their Jack Steele. That's just what you expect from him every week and it's only unusual when he doesn't perform.

All for protecting the head.

But no one has come out and said what Ryder should have done only that he shouldn’t have bumped.

His feet were planted and Day took a
Step to the left.

What is Ryders duty of care to jump out of Days way?

It is a contact sport with players coming at you from all directions occasionally there is going to be head knocks that are accidental and unavoidable.

Someone please tell me what the alternative action was for Ryder.
Was on 360 last night with the chief wafflers Whatley and Robbo -Gerard said and i quote" Paddy had a choice "no he didnt with the speed of the game in the heat of it all -he braced for contact if he had kept charging then there would be an issue - he had absolutely no intent at all that was obvious has to be challenged

Was on 360 last night with the chief wafflers Whatley and Robbo -Gerard said and i quote" Paddy had a choice "no he didnt with the speed of the game in the heat of it all -he braced for contact if he had kept charging then there would be an issue - he had absolutely no intent at all that was obvious has to be challenged
For right or wrong the front on bump is being eliminated from the game. If you bump, do it from the side on. From the front (like Paddy) you need to tackle rather than bump cos the risk of hitting the head is too high. Paddy should’ve tried to tackle or hold him up with his arms. It’ll take time for players to build the muscle memory to tackle rather than bump/brace in this type of situation though.

For right or wrong the front on bump is being eliminated from the game. If you bump, do it from the side on. From the front (like Paddy) you need to tackle rather than bump cos the risk of hitting the head is too high. Paddy should’ve tried to tackle or hold him up with his arms. It’ll take time for players to build the muscle memory to tackle rather than bump/brace in this type of situation though.
I’m not sure he actually went to bump though. He was running up to him because given the fact Day had the ball he had to go at him- to either try to tackle him, or smother the kick, or whatever- but once Day disposed of the ball, those two options were off the table and then I think all Paddy did was effectively stop and brace for contact.

If he’d actually gone the bump he would have cleaned him up and you’d still be cleaning him up off the ground.

So given the fact he’s 34yo and a big unit, I’m not sure what else he would have been able to do in that situation. There may not have been enough time for him to anything but stop and brace.

If he’d “chosen to bump”, I’d fully agree with even 2 weeks, but there’s a difference between choosing to bump someone and stopping and bracing for contact, to protect yourself.

Last edited:
Anderson big time accumulator but looks like a ball butcher. Reminds me of Dunkley. If he can work on his skills he will be a star

I think that comes with maturity. He's going to settle as he becomes more experienced. Someone put up the Gold Coast stats and it looks like Dew has them pumping the ball forward long and fast. They don't kick backwards or switch they just go full 2021 Luke Dunstan where they pump the ball forward and then try to lock it in. That doesn't require finesse and can look a bit like constant turn overs but it's a territory type of game plan. He seemed like a more balanced type in his draft year so perhaps he's not really playing his strengths as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back