Preview Round 5, 2022: St.Kilda v Gold Coast - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 16th April, 1:45PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 50 74.6%
  • Suns

Votes: 17 25.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not sure he actually went to bump though. He was running up to him because given the fact Day had the ball he had to go at him- to either try to tackle him, or smother the kick, or whatever), but once Day disposed of the ball, those two options were off the table and then I think all Paddy did was effectively stop and brace for contact.

If he’d actually gone the bump he would have cleaned him up and you’d still be cleaning him up off the ground.

So given the fact he’s 34yo and a big unit I’m not sure what else he would have been able yo do in that situation. There may not have been enough time for him to anything but stop and brace.
I agree that’s how it played out. But you can’t actually brace like that anymore unless you run the risk of getting the player high like this situation. The exception imo would be if you were stationary. But in this situation Paddy came off his line & engaged the player. I get that it’s not really fair but it’s where there games at now.

I agree that’s how it played out. But you can’t actually brace like that anymore unless you run the risk of getting the player high like this situation. The exception imo would be if you were stationary. But in this situation Paddy came off his line & engaged the player. I get that it’s not really fair but it’s where there games at now.
It was Paddy’s duty to come off his line and engage him though, otherwise Day would have just merrily kept on running, so it’s not like that was an unreasonable thing to do.

But once Day disposed of the ball and it was probably too late for Paddy to take evasive action, what were his options?

The only ones I’m seeing are

1- What he did, which was stop and brace for contact

2- Tackle him, even though he’d already disposed of the ball, which would of course incur a free kick or 50m penalty

3- Get down lower to reduce the risk of getting Day high, but in doing so, greatly increase the risk of getting hit high himself, which still results in the unwanted overall outcome of someone potentially getting concussed.

If Gerard Whately wasn’t able to come up with a better answer than “not what he did”, after 24 hours, what hope did Paddy have in a split second? And what is the answer to what should he have done?

Because I’m yet to hear anyone who’s come up with what I would consider an adequate answer to that question.

It was Paddy’s duty to come off his line and engage him though, otherwise Day would have just merrily kept on running, so it’s not like that was an unreasonable thing to do.

But once Day disposed of the ball and it was probably too late for Paddy to take evasive action, what were his options?

The only ones I’m seeing are

1- What he did, which was stop and brace for contact

2- Tackle him, even though he’d already disposed of the ball, which would of course incur a free kick or 50m penalty

3- Get down lower to reduce the risk of getting Day high, but in doing so greatly increase the risk of getting hit high himself, which still results in the unwanted overall outcome of someone getting concussed.
Option 3 for me. Paddy should have crouched down and when Day was on his shoulders, Paddy could have stood up and flipped Day onto his back 360 style.
It would have been spectacular and probably not reportable. Day may have broken his neck. Oh well.....

Is the bump the same as bracing? Can you actually determine the difference. I’d have thought the bump was around forward motion towards an opponent. To brace is to prepare for impact - this is actually trained by clubs so how do you avoid your training?

Yeah we'd be complete idiots to not take them seriously. They're are up and about.

Look at this, practically go long through the middle and keep it locked in the forward line. Maybe they'll switch it up now against us haha.

View attachment 1369716
Looking at some of those numbers I'd consider maybe bringing in Highmore if Webster isn't 100%.

To address some questions:

1: My statement was Hayes would come in for Ryder, not that necessarily he should. But he should.
2: Hayes wasn't dropped on form
3: Witts rucks when Roma rucks - Hayes is for the chop out when Witts is resting and their second ruck is rucking
4: I love all the little things Hayes does
5: I'm not sure Campbell would essentially be better than Hunter or McKernan or Abbott, but lots in these parts are acting like he would

Last edited:
From his two VFL games he's had a total of 34 disposals, 2 goals, 4 marks and 73 hitouts. Certainly no Bily Longer around the ground. I'd back him in this week - Hayes would be absolutely slaughtered by Witts in the ruck.

Out: Ryder, Long (moved to sub)
In: Campbell, Higgins

B: Paton, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Sinclair, Battle, Webster
C: Hill, Steele, McKenzie
HF: Higgins, Membrey, Wood
F: Butler, King, Gresham

Foll: Marshall, Crouch, Ross
Int: Campbell, Lienert, Wangmil, Windhager

I like it but Long has to play. The forward pressure that he & Butts bring is very important.

Windy out for Snags. Would rather see him continue his development by playing at Sandy than be medical sub. Byrnes the same… to Sandy to get some game time into his legs.

Not sure who comes in as sub. As long as it isn’t Kent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1: My statement was Hayes would come in for Ryder, not that necessarily he should. But he should.
3: Witts rucks then Roma rucks - Hayes is for the chop out when Witts is resting and their second ruck is rucking
5: I'm not sure Campbell would essentially be better than Hunter or McKernan or Abbott, but lots in these parts are acting like he would

Yes, if Hayes plays , he's the FWD/Ruck whilst Roma plays the main ruck.
If Campbell played, Campbell would need to be the main ruck against Witts, with Roma playing the FWD/Ruck roll.
Pretty sure Campbell is not some super ruck that was hidden at the Dogs all these years.

Clark, Jones and billings have been out for long enough now that I reckon all 3 of them will have to come back through the twos, as long as the rest of the group stay healthy. If I’m honest, billings is no guarantee to be best 22 at all. What does he add to the current team that we don’t have?
I expect all three will be back in the ones after one VFL game, but I do agree that all three probably do have a week down there now.

3: Witts rucks then Roma rucks - Hayes is for the chop out when Witts is resting and their second ruck is rucking
Reckon Hayes is also more damaging to the scoreboard than Campbell with both scores and assists/pressure.
Uses it with a higher degree of proficiency, better tank, more mobile and agile, better contested mark and faster.
So go with Campbell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shocking call to get 2 weeks

Shouldn't even be a week, but hitting someone head and concussing them unfortunately is 1 week these days.

On the game simple changes

Higgins back in
Campbell in

Ryder out and Wood out

Wood was fairly average last week and not too crash hot the week before besides a little burst

Windy has shown more than enough in that first game and between McKenzie/Wingmil/Windy and even Hill we have the wings covered

Play Marshall like we have as it's helping out King/Membrey

Campbell had 20 odd in the VFL so can be adequate back up until Ryder is back

It's been a long time since I've felt like this after a game. Yeah 2020 was great, but no win made me feel as satisfied and excited as Sunday did.

Now it's Monday, my day off work, and I've been refreshing big footy, the AFL subreddit and watched/listened all the footy content I could find and taking in all the positives the media has to say about saints footy. Been on the couch all day if I'm honest.

I'm ITCHING for the game to come around Saturday. I can't get enough of Saints content at the moment.

This doesn't have anything to do with the game next week. Just a general feeling I have that I haven't felt since probably 2010. Not saying we are as good as that team, but just saying the team hasn't made me this excited since then

We simply HAVE to keep the foot down. Our biggest problem we have had for a few years is we get a little run going before a reality check hits us and derails our season. Need to be consistent.

On Pixel 4 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app
what is AFL subreddit 11men1cup ?

Hey guy. I’m new to brisbane. Anyone know anywhere good to watch the footy around the city area? Everyone here keeps talking about some weird game where they throw the ball sideways.
Morningside about 10min drive from Brissie central.

Was on 360 last night with the chief wafflers Whatley and Robbo -Gerard said and i quote" Paddy had a choice "no he didnt with the speed of the game in the heat of it all -he braced for contact if he had kept charging then there would be an issue - he had absolutely no intent at all that was obvious has to be challenged
He had two other options

Brace to tackle and get your body low

Or reach the arms out to smother or get a finger on the footy

He chose to bump and hit him high

We all know the rules by now

He had two other options

Brace to tackle and get your body low

Or reach the arms out to smother or get a finger on the footy

He chose to bump and hit him high

We all know the rules by now
He didn’t choose to bump though. If he had chosen to bump he would have put Day into next week. He stopped and braced for Day to run into him, which he duly did.

Choosing to bump and bracing for contact are two completely different things.

Tinfoil hat time:

I reckon marshall is playing with a crook foot/ankle and getting jabbed to get out there atm.

(He's usually a beautiful kick- but his leg looks like a limp noodle when kicking atm I reckon).

If my conspiracy theory is right, I think it would be the ideal time to give him a week off and bring in both cambell and hayes.

Roma is gonna get destroyed in taps vs witts regardless- so may as well get campbell in there to at least try and break even.

Then hayes in to play mostly fwd- he would probably gives us more up fwd than roma currently is.

Plus roma gets a bit of time to help his injury (if he has one)

Well now that Gill is off guess we better get used to Tassie haha
I think we've probably got our house in order off field just in time. Need to make another big dent into the debt this year though to keep the external noise at bay. With Moorabbin set up so well now and the Danny Frawley centre in place, we have a few things that set us up for the long term. If we can play finals this year and make a dent into the debt again, we should have a pretty smooth under the new CEO. Hopefully they go for someone from clubland like Gale, rather than an AFL suit like Auld.

I think we've probably got our house in order off field just in time. Need to make another big dent into the debt this year though to keep the external noise at bay. With Moorabbin set up so well now and the Danny Frawley centre in place, we have a few things that set us up for the long term. If we can play finals this year and make a dent into the debt again, we should have a pretty smooth under the new CEO. Hopefully they go for someone from clubland like Gale, rather than an AFL suit like Auld.
The whisper is ......Hamish McL - looks the same, media savvy. On the nose at Channel 7 so needs a job.
Eddie Maguire will come in to assist as his consigliere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back