Preview Changes and Preview Brisbane vs Ports @ Gabba, qualifying final thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friday night @ the Gee sportin' capitale of the worldery etc.
Exactly the reason they'd probably find to change it so it's not us or Brisbane hosting a Friday night prelim, but then again the delusional AFL and Channel 7 probably thinks it's a chance of outrating the Matilda's with Collingwood or Carlton playing away for a grand final spot on a Friday night so it might not bother them

I know a lot on here suffer from PTSD and can’t get past the Hinkley effect but * me the negativity is next level.

There is one team in the 8 with bona fide premiership credentials (Melbourne). The rest it’s all new and everyone (including us) has significant flaws.

Get excited, get positive, we can win this thing!
I agree, shit thread title for a final.

Can’t we just try to look forward to a game without ‘it’s’ name in the title.

I agree with TeeKray that there’s no point over-thinking the schedule or venue. Right now, we’re the least talked about and fancied team in the top 4, and probably the top 5. No-one is giving us a serious shot because of perceived (and likely real) weaknesses in defence, while we all realise how damned our ruck situation is.

What I see, is the fact that not one team going into this finals campaign is infallible or playing with a sense of invincibility or dominance.

Brisbane, deep down, are plagued with the same self-doubt issues that we have.

Melbourne for all the statistics used in their favour finished fourth for a reason and have lost two valuable forwards in Petty and Melksham who were big reasons they won some of the games they did.

Collingwood talk a confident game but showed how reliant they are on a 20 yo these past 3-4 weeks.

Carlton got exposed big time yesterday.

We have a dicky defence, no viable ruckman, and the least potent tall forward line in the top 5. Our wings are also limp. But we have serious weaponry at our disposal in the midfield. When we played all the other finalists, Wines was not at his best. He’s hit his straps at the best possible time for us. Butters, Rozee and JHF give us a massive point of difference that gives us a chance in every game. I’d argue that SPP, Rioli and Houston are equally as important in their roles.

If, and it’s a big if, we can have a competitive ruckman in the first final, and Marshall and Finlayson can ducking get their acts together and McKenzie is back and healthy, we will beat Brisbane. Then anything can happen.

The game is Saturday night apparently, so if we lose we fly back Sunday & have the shortest turnaround of everybody.

Brisbane & Port both wanted a day game.
What's the bet, the loser has to play the following Friday night against one of the AFL love childs with a 6 day break. On Roo and Ditts they just said the fixture wasn't even announced till they got a concussion update of a Melbourne player, that's borderline corrupt

Nice little warm up match before our finals begin against the Saints or Giants on Semi Final weekend.

We will lose. I'm incredibly confident. We might push them but never look like winning, or we'll just be blown out.

I'm a little worried that Jonas and his experience will be picked ahead of Jones who was horrible yesterday. Not my preference, but my prediction as Jonas has been playing well last few games.

IN: Lycett, McKenzie, Dixon, Marshall
OUT: Hayes, Jones, Lord, McEntee

I agree with TeeKray that there’s no point over-thinking the schedule or venue. Right now, we’re the least talked about and fancied team in the top 4, and probably the top 5. No-one is giving us a serious shot because of perceived (and likely real) weaknesses in defence, while we all realise how damned our ruck situation is.

What I see, is the fact that not one team going into this finals campaign is infallible or playing with a sense of invincibility or dominance.

Brisbane, deep down, are plagued with the same self-doubt issues that we have.

Melbourne for all the statistics used in their favour finished fourth for a reason and have lost two valuable forwards in Petty and Melksham who were big reasons they won some of the games they did.

Collingwood talk a confident game but showed how reliant they are on a 20 yo these past 3-4 weeks.

Carlton got exposed big time yesterday.

We have a dicky defence, no viable ruckman, and the least potent tall forward line in the top 5. Our wings are also limp. But we have serious weaponry at our disposal in the midfield. When we played all the other finalists, Wines was not at his best. He’s hit his straps at the best possible time for us. Butters, Rozee and JHF give us a massive point of difference that gives us a chance in every game. I’d argue that SPP, Rioli and Houston are equally as important in their roles.

If, and it’s a big if, we can have a competitive ruckman in the first final, and Marshall and Finlayson can ducking get their acts together and McKenzie is back and healthy, we will beat Brisbane. Then anything can happen.
We're the biggest outsider at Sportsbet, which seems about right to me.

Port $2.74, Bris $1.46

My concern with our midfield is how they'll handle the tough hard contested nature of finals footy. They're still a young core. For mine we need a huge finals series from Ollie and I think Drew is our barometer, he plays 3 great games and we win a flag. Can't see it all clicking this week though. The away intensity will get in our boys heads if the game is at all close or Brisbane get on any sort of run.

Our percentage is so bad, to win would be sheer chance and choking on Brisbanes part. Our backlines are borderline rag tag. We have conceeded a ****tonne compared to other finalists.

I know a lot on here suffer from PTSD and can’t get past the Hinkley effect but * me the negativity is next level.

There is one team in the 8 with bona fide premiership credentials (Melbourne). The rest it’s all new and everyone (including us) has significant flaws.

Get excited, get positive, we can win this thing!

Wiggle your fingers & get excited everybody!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are 10 teams that wish they were playing finals, just enjoy it.

I'm quietly confident that the Carr factor can lift us past our previous ceilings.

Though I can't imagine John Cahill calling a final scary, it's just laughable.
Imagine Fos Williams calling a final scary.
It's what you play for, and when people are judged.
Except you of course with your VFL gold pass.
Toughen up princess you are not at the handbaggers anymore.

We also have the maggies final to enjoy this Sunday.

Last edited:
Our percentage is so bad, to win would be sheer chance and choking on Brisbanes part. Our backlines are borderline rag tag. We have conceeded a *tonne compared to other finalists.

Lol we’ve conceded more points than anyone until you get to Essendon with their wheels off in 11th.

I think the game will be won or lost depending on the output of Dixon, Marshall, Lycett and McKenzie. This experienced spine, straightens us up, provides experience, and so on.

If these players all had 2-3 games of AFL under their belt with good health going into finals, we win this - Lycett included

Brisbane will probably kick a goal within the first minute and we will go to a watery piss like state and be 6 goals down at quarter time. The game will be over at that stage and we can then huff and puff a bit but ultimately lose by about 7 goals. Ken will tell us how hard the competition is but as long as we work harder next game we will be okay.

From yesterdays game there were way too many players that we can't carry into finals:
Lord, McEntee, Jones, Duursma, Jonas, Hayes, Boak, Evans are all no where near Premiership grade. Sure you can carry 1 or 2, but 7 or 8 is way too many.
Reinforcements are coming, but most with be underdone and not match fit. Even then our bottom 3-4 players look shaky. Can our A Graders get us over the line? Just hard to see that happening for 3 games in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back