Rumour 2023 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 33!, 1 BIG FISH ALERT last October 4th) (7 confirmed! 11 Busted!)

Will Clayton Oliver join the Adelaide Crows?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Puts us in the top 3 imo.

This years league position was not a true representation of where we were at imo.
I’m talking solely midfield ranking, are you referring to overall league position?

Admittedly adding Oliver is as big a feather in a midfield’s cap as they could get

One of these things is not like the others
Orange Success GIF by Kyocera

Holy crap! Hell of a day at work - no chance of catching any news. Winding down and just a moment ago see a snippet that Oliver may want to come to Crows - now need to catch up on 80 pages of Bigfooty to find out what it all means, will the Crows really get him, what do we have to give up to get him and does this mean that we will really win the premiership finally after all of these years!?!
Yes it does.

I think a few getting ahead of themselves here, I predict egg on faces tomorrow, I just can’t believe that he would want to come here.

Nah man, id say all of us are in the disbelief camp and wont believe its happening until it happens.

All I'd say is you don't need a board meeting to kill a rumour. They aren't killing it. The meeting would be about his off field issues, his injuries, his salary combined with what sort of worth they think is fair and whether they are prepared to hold onto him if the Crows can't meet their demands.

Melbourne are the ones who admitted Oliver is available to trade. Its only after Adelaide was linked. That's the difference. The real media aren't stupid. They wont say a player is available if he has 5 years left and a top 10 player in the comp if he isn't. Too much smoke for it to be a whole pile of never was.

Surely Melbourne have to come out and quash the media storm.

think about the human impact happening here. Can Oliver really return to Melbourne if they don’t come out within the next 24 hours in the media and back him in as a required player?

and even then, perhaps it’s already too late and the damage is done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think a few getting ahead of themselves here, I predict egg on faces tomorrow, I just can’t believe that he would want to come here.
Hard disagree, am currently getting my crows premiers 2024 back to back 2025 tattoo on hindley as we speak. On my foot, as homage to Oliver (aka normsmith Brownlow winner 2024)

Considering his age and where our list is, I don't see why we wouldn't be in consideration. Our window is basically just opening wide open from this year.

Surely Melbourne have to come out and quash the media storm.

think about the human impact happening here. Can Oliver really return to Melbourne if they don’t come out within the next 24 hours in the media and back him in as a required player?

and even then, perhaps it’s already too late and the damage is done.

Melbourne have already said he is a trade option. They notified clubs he is available.

Well at this stage... I think Oliver definitely won't be at MFC next year... that seems certain at this stage. The silence is kinda giving away the story. MFC aren't even bothering to give a half arsed fluff statement saying he's a contracted required player etc. It must be pretty broken if the can't even give a f***... The question remains whether or not we can land him.

Feels similar to that while stringer saga...

Well at this stage... I think Oliver definitely won't be at MFC next year... that seems certain at this stage. The silence is kinda giving away the story. MFC aren't even bothering to give a half arsed fluff statement saying he's a contracted required player etc. It must be pretty broken if the can't even give a f***... The question remains whether or not we can land him.

Feels similar to that while stringer saga...

It will be interesting to see how all this plays out.

I feel like we are in a Vic AFL snare.
I understand that Oliver would be a great addition, amazing in fact, the solution we have all been looking but has alluded us. He is in that top 10 players in the AFL conversation.
Without Clayton, the Crows are building, and I believe we have entered into the premiership window for the next 3-5 years. The carrot on the stick is that Clayton offers a flag in 24’ and 25’. He is a big sugar hit. However I will remind Crows fans that the probability of winning the flag in any year is pretty slim, and in all likelihood we don’t win one in next two years.
What we will have done is to have traded everything including the kitchen sink to get Oliver, to the detriment of continuing our forward momentum of building depth and quality from drafting and trading in other players with the currency we would have used on Oliver.
My misgivings are: Does Oliver break down in two years? Does his body not hold up? Does he have a club culture fallout? Does he even like the Crows? Will he be a mole to leak the Crows plans prior to important games? Does the Vic AFL have its fingers in this? Is Clayton planning on life after footy? Does he want to go through 7 more preseasons?
What Melbourne will be achieving by trading Oliver is to shorten their premiership window, which has perhaps now slipped out a bit. They will offload a big contract at the same time.
What the Crows would achieve is a full gambit at a flag that comes with risks of failure and could result in us just being a mediocre team for ten years.
Imagine if the story broke that Dawson was going somewhere else even though he is contracted. Our management would be straight in front of the cameras saying that that will not be happening.
What we are getting from Melbourne is crickets!
I apologise for the doom and gloom conspiracies. By all means we should go to the negotiating table. However we are low balling our offer. Do not get sucked in to throw everything at this deal. If Melbourne don’t like it then we walk away.
I would sooo much prefer that we focus on Mabior Chol and the Gold Coast number 4 pick. After all that’s what Melbourne want and McKercher is probably the target.
If we accomplish that then that is blue ribbon stuff.
Come at me!
Jesus, I need to take a handful of anti-depressants after reading this

We gotta keep Pedlar and try and get Oliver. Dawson, Oliver, Pedlar is the most dynamic midfield in the league. Throw in Soligo who should be a gun and we are set for the next 7 years. I think we would be more likely to lose Thilthorpe than Pedlar.
we aren't letting thilthorpe go

as someone else said we may have to give up gollant as well as mcadam plus the picks but we see

Not sure if this has been posted yet but LOL. I don't care how good Oliver is im not giving up Fog, Thilthorpe and our first for him. How does a deal get done? What Adelaide and Essendon could offer in Oliver trade
Not even giving up ONE of Fog or TT.

pick 9, 2024 1st, Mc Adam and a 2023 second rounder (or maximum 2) is about as much as anyone’s ever given up for a player.

oliver turns 26 next year. He has probably 4-5 elite years left and it’s mind blowing to think an acquiring club can’t mitigate risk by fully understanding and having transparency re any drug strikes.

we have the cash and picks to get this done, perfect fit, crows currently 9th fave for flag but this would bring us into top 4:considerations IMO. Best forward line, suddenly a top 4-6 midfield and exceptionally talented developing defence.

if Reid gets this done build the man a statue as not sure any club in history (or rarely if so) has brought in 3 A graders like Dawson, Rankine and Oliver in trades in 3 years
Not sure if this has been posted yet but LOL. I don't care how good Oliver is im not giving up Fog, Thilthorpe and our first for him. How does a deal get done? What Adelaide and Essendon could offer in Oliver trade

we aren't letting thilthorpe go

as someone else said we may have to give up gollant as well as mcadam plus the picks but we see

Nah, Melbourne want picks. They dont want our players excluding McAdam. Remember, they are the ones who put Clarry on the market to begin with. We have just been linked. We will just have to give them picks. The only question is how many. If we need to trade a player out it will be to another team for them to then trade that pick to Melbourne. Melbourne have no salary cap to want expensive players from us.

pick 9, 2024 1st, Mc Adam and a 2023 second rounder (or maximum 2) is about as much as anyone’s ever given up for a player.

oliver turns 26 next year. He has probably 4-5 elite years left and it’s mind blowing to think an acquiring club can’t mitigate risk by fully understanding and having transparency re any drug strikes.

we have the cash and picks to get this done, perfect fit, crows currently 9th fave for flag but this would bring us into top 4:considerations IMO. Best forward line, suddenly a top 4-6 midfield and exceptionally talented developing defence.

if Reid gets this done build the man a statue as not sure any club in history (or rarely if so) has brought in 3 A graders like Dawson, Rankine and Oliver in trades in 3 years

This!

do you honestly think anyone puts their head in the hole like he does without taking drugs these days? we need to decide how bad we want a flag. drug use is rife in AFL and they dont take stopping it seriously. ffs he sounds like he's stoned whenever i've heard him talk.

heavy illicit drug taking created the best music ever written not just rock/pop but also classical

it got west coast 4 premierships and it will go on and on... its a big moment for us.

ps im anti drugs but this is just the facts if you want to win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back