Rumour 2023 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 33!, 1 BIG FISH ALERT last October 4th) (7 confirmed! 11 Busted!)

Will Clayton Oliver join the Adelaide Crows?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
C'mon.

Unless you're gonna back this up with a stat that shows how Hinge et al are contributing unusually large inside 50 numbers, then it has to be said that the unpopular members of our midfield are actually contributing.

Dawson is the main one, obviously - extraordinarily good.
What stat would you use to show that ?

I know over the early rebuild stage our i50 was horrible, but Dawson was our main provider (followed by Laird, with Murphy, Keays, Smith and Rankine up there) in 2023

I thought perhaps out of d50, this year it's B Smith and Hinge, but last year Dawson was leader in this state by a fair margin over Smith in 2022.

By what stuck out to me is really that i50 stat lead by Dawson and in the inclusion of Rankine into the mix in 2023, which resulted in less Laird and Keays lead attacks into 50 (or at least less by the % of forward entires)

This is borderline hilarious. How can you blame the younger players for lack of defensive action when CBA numbers tell you with absolute clarity that they collectively spend a fraction of the time in there compared to the senior players. And I include Dawson in that group of senior players.

It is just blind ignorance or wilful denial that has led you to your conclusion.
Again, not actually debating the post and resorting to personal attacks. I am not debating this any further with you, there's absolutely no point.

C'mon.

Unless you're gonna back this up with a stat that shows how Hinge et al are contributing unusually large inside 50 numbers, then it has to be said that the unpopular members of our midfield are actually contributing.

Dawson is the main one, obviously - extraordinarily good.
Happy?

Screenshot_20230901_132250_Chrome.png
Hinge Milera and Jones ranked 3rd, 4th and 5th for Score launches.

Cheers guys, it almost feels a waste dredging through the online stat's

First possession in a scoring chain
Sorry to ask, but can you pull up say a top 10 and compare between this year and last year?

I'd be curious to see the change. And by all means of you aren't, don't!

Cheers guys, it almost feels a waste dredging through the online stat's

Sorry to ask, but can you pull up say a top 10 and compare between this year and last year?

I'd be curious to see the change. And by all means of you aren't, don't!
Not to promote CrowCast, but I'm in the middle of doing a bit of a key stat breakdown for the season, as I'm definitely curious. Once I've put it together I'll post the link.

What stat would you use to show that ?

I know over the early rebuild stage our i50 was horrible, but Dawson was our main provider (followed by Laird, with Murphy, Keays, Smith and Rankine up there) in 2023

I thought perhaps out of d50, this year it's B Smith and Hinge, but last year Dawson was leader in this state by a fair margin over Smith in 2022.

By what stuck out to me is really that i50 stat lead by Dawson and in the inclusion of Rankine into the mix in 2023, which resulted in less Laird and Keays lead attacks into 50 (or at least less by the % of forward entires)
Keays has been a big reason for our improved scoring in the HF role, exactly the role he is most suited for. Laird is our best clearance player and is a very good tackler, exactly the type of player that the likes of Dawson (who isn't a clearance player), Rachele, Soligo etc all need to be their best on the outside. Dawson is actually quite a good tackler too, but you don't want him to be the only one capable of that as it'll take away his attacking game.

I agree that our drive from the back half has been huge from Hinge, Smith and Milera, but unless they get a direct intercept, they still need the likes of Laird and Crouch feeding it to them from stoppages.

Keays has been a big reason for our improved scoring in the HF role, exactly the role he is most suited for. Laird is our best clearance player and is a very good tackler, exactly the type of player that the likes of Dawson (who isn't a clearance player), Rachele, Soligo etc all need to be their best on the outside. Dawson is actually quite a good tackler too, but you don't want him to be the only one capable of that as it'll take away his attacking game.

I agree that our drive from the back half has been huge from Hinge, Smith and Milera, but unless they get a direct intercept, they still need the likes of Laird and Crouch feeding it to them from stoppages.
I'd argue about Smith. He's ranked mid 20s for us in score launches and score involvements. Adds weight to the observation that a lot of his possessions (long kicks), while classed as "effective", are ultimately useless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy?

View attachment 1791699
Hinge Milera and Jones ranked 3rd, 4th and 5th for Score launches.
So our two prime midfielders are 1st and 2nd (what a shock), how do those stats help your argument? It just reinforces that our midfield, in combination with our prime movers off half back and wing, are to credit for our scoring surge. Which is exactly what the stats I posted earlier show.

Yet, this whole debate started because people wanted Laird to go and we keep Crouch instead, which is a load of shit.

So our two prime midfielders are 1st and 2nd (what a shock), how do those stats help your argument? It just reinforces that our midfield, in combination with our prime movers off half back and wing, are to credit for our scoring surge. Which is exactly what the stats I posted earlier show.

Yet, this whole debate started because people wanted Laird to go and we keep Crouch instead, which is a load of s**t.
You'd expect mids to be the key drivers. The fact that our half backs are pretty close, with far less disposal numbers on average, supports my argument.

You have to understand how to interpret the numbers mate.

Do you think he’s improved massively?? Or the players around him have made him look better?? I believe both, when we have prime Smith and Seedsman at half back/ wing and Crouch hit them at full pace, he looked amazing. Now we have Soligo, Hinge, Smith and others around him, he’s looking good again. I have noticed though that he always looks forward now instead of looks backwards and with so many other options, he doesn’t have to handball 1 metre to ROB

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He doesn't seem to hanging on the outside waiting for cheap possessions anymore but going to get the ball which was how he played in 2017.

I really like Keays in the HFF role as well, he brings pressure that we didn't have in the past and fills a role with a competent footballer instead of blooding young mids in that role.

Rochelle, Soligo et Al is what interests me about the scoring Stat, their kicking i50 just on memory is well above what we were served in 2022, but looking at the amount of i50s they had it doesn't seem like it drove our overall improvement.

I think your reference to the mids is pretty solid, which is why people get so frustrated with the CBA attendance numbers and getting beaten in the middle so often (well it feels like that)

That narrows down the options then. Is it Rozee?
Think we might have missed that ship...if we are talking finals bound teams, and assuming South Australian origin, Callum Wilkie, NWM or Wil Hayward? First two have many years left on their contracts (and doubt Wilkie as VC moves)..but last one is out of contract next year isnt he?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back