2nds 2024 Adelaide Crows SANFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Nankervis is far too talented to be playing SANFL.
We are still in a rebuild. We should be playing the guys that have a higher ceiling. For me that's Nank more than Sholl.
Nank after 50 games is better than Sholl at the same point.

If the selectors are on the money nank must be the first cab off the rank for selection next week. He was a class above today. His ability to change direction and turn defence to attack was in high evidence
But does he have any leadership value, that's all we worry about at selection

We see the rebuild as being over

Whether it's worked is the question. Are the pieces in place?

I think the rebuild via the draft is over. We should be in the stage where its all about trades and free agents. We're still sorting the wheat from the chaff with players we've drafted over the last few years. How many have a high ceiling, how many have a low ceiling? I don't think anyone knows enough to answer those questions yet.

If the selectors are on the money nank must be the first cab off the rank for selection next week. He was a class above today. His ability to change direction and turn defence to attack was in high evidence
Yep, he needs to be lock in our team for the rest of the year.

What position did Curtin play yesterday? I’m concerned that they’re only thinking of him as a 3rd tall defender, so he’ll only get a game if Worrell gets injured. I’d love for them to be developing him as a wing/mid especially at SANFL level
Curtin providing the highlights

Defender Daniel Curtin had a strong performance showing plenty of exciting moments throughout the game.

During the first term, the 19-year-old charged forward to bomb through a goal from 50 metres out on the run.

In the second quarter Curtin got his coaches and teammates excited again, taking a specky over the top of the pack just in front of Sturt’s goal square.

“He was impressive, very tidy below his knee, good in the air and is playing with a really good balance between offence and defence at the minute,” Wright said.

“He is getting his man done and then finding opportunities to use the ball in the hand.”

I toddled down to Thebby yesterday. Was sitting behind the goals and juggling kids so won’t pretend I saw the whole thing in detail.

Curtin you could see both his talent and perhaps why they don’t quite think he’s ready yet. He can’t defend and made some pretty bad mistakes including two silly frees in the back 50 in Q3. Got pinged HTB trying to sell unnecessary candy and had an absurd attempt at a hanger that he got nowhere near.

Edwards is a big boy. Played as a pure center square mid. Got his hands on plenty of footy and used it well by hand. Can’t remember any bad errors by foot but the technique is clunky.

Cook was relatively invisible.

Hamill just doesn’t hit targets by foot. Put a line through him. Also got pinged HTB a couple of times when he put blinkers on and just ran. Once after taking 3 bounces and got chased down by a big bloke.

Taylor looked good enough but missed a couple of targets he should hit. Looks small out there. Big year for him - was probably the closest on our list to a debut 18 months ago but really needs to step up and dominate this level if he doesn’t want to be overtaken by younger players who might be thought to have more upside.

Ryan seemed to find the footy a fair bit off half back. Didn’t really do anything particularly eye catching. All the three draftees did enough to give me some hope.

Nankervis was prominent. I actually thought he made a few mistakes but would defer to others who might have watched more closely. Regardless I’d have him in the team before Sholl or Smith.

Dowling accumulated. Neat and tidy. Seems like the kind of guy who might just be exactly the same player at the higher level - which would be very handy.

Gallagher does a fair bit right. Took one nice mark where he read the flight better than his man in a one on one contest. He’s quick. Better in congestion where he doesn’t have time to think - he has fast hands. When he finds space he seems a bit lost about what to do next and often handballs to someone who’s not really expecting it.

Parnell not really noticeable. Looks a bit stronger.

Toby Murray isn’t it.

Bond had a couple of nice clearances. Not super noticeable. But he’s pretty bland looking. He could have 40 touches and I might not notice.

Tyler Welsh is not bland looking. Took a couple of regulation marks leading up to half back/wing. Has a booming kick. Kicked from half back and got it over the back to Brayden Cook at half forward. Kicked two in the second quarter. One a nice crumb and snap from close range, tight angle, near the wrong point post for a right footer bending it out of the goalmouth. Second one was a mark at the top of the square where he was by himself but came under pressure while the ball was in flight. You expect your key forward to take that mark, but it was a strong grab. My knock on him was that he’s always been a bit of a mark and kick forward - which he will not be big enough to get away with at AFL level. Yesterday he showed a bit more athleticism and ability below his knees than I’ve seen from his before.

Strachan did Strachan things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All of our recruits are not yet ready for AFL. Edwards has been building nicely. Curtins knee issues seem to have taken the polish off his game. Ryan shows signs but interspersed with quiet periods. Gallagher very very raw but looked at his best in last half. Welsh very promising performance. We have a Player here

From SANFL perspective disappointing Danielle DNP we didn’t have any crumbers up forward with wrights retirement and had none to front and square

Last edited:
All of our recruits are not yet ready for AFL. Edwards has been building nicely. Curtins knee issues seem to have taken the polish off his game. Ryan shows signs but interspersed with quiet periods. Gallagher very very raw but looked at his best in last half. Welsh very promising performance. We have a Player here

From SANFL perspective disappointing Danielle DNP we didn’t have any crumbers up forward with wrights retirement and had none to front and square
Thanks heaps for your reports Bigman. So appreciated. I wasn't able to watch the SANFL game Saturday morning (I generally like to watch a fair bit of these during the year even if only at times via the stream). Was Daniel Curtin moving more freely than in previous weeks? Does Nank deserve a call up to the seniors based on what you saw Saturday? He had certainly been building even before that game, eg all of last year!

Thanks heaps for your reports Bigman. So appreciated. I wasn't able to watch the SANFL game Saturday morning (I generally like to watch a fair bit of these during the year even if only at times via the stream). Was Daniel Curtin moving more freely than in previous weeks? Does Nank deserve a call up to the seniors based on what you saw Saturday? He had certainly been building even before that game, eg all of last year!
He was moving better than he has in recent weeks but he still appears to be hampered by the knee and not moving as quickly or laterally as well as he has done so in the past

I think nank deserves a place in the seniors. He was far and away our best on the weekend

We see the rebuild as being over

Whether it's worked is the question. Are the pieces in place?
The "depth cupboard" is looking pretty bare to be hoenst. They're really arent that many players that will be putting pressure on for spots in our 22 bar maybe Nank, Keane and Curtin.

While we have a few youngsters in Ryan and Edwards etc, there's just really not a lot there that fills me with any confidence

The "depth cupboard" is looking pretty bare to be hoenst. They're really arent that many players that will be putting pressure on for spots in our 22 bar maybe Nank, Keane and Curtin.

While we have a few youngsters in Ryan and Edwards etc, there's just really not a lot there that fills me with any confidence
You’d hope Dowling and Taylor could reach a level of AFL capability this year, too. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see Edwards get a few games

The crows Sanfl side is hamstrung as to who plays in what position. It really is not a good indicator of the talent we have. Its why the Crows want out of the competition.

How are they hamstrung and how will that change if we move to the vfl?

I don't have the details but the reason we want out of the Sanfl to a competition like the VFL is because we can do what we like with team selection and player positioning and our VFL squad can be made up of better quality players who will complement those on our list better.

I don't have the details but the reason we want out of the Sanfl to a competition like the VFL is because we can do what we like with team selection and player positioning and our VFL squad can be made up of better quality players who will complement those on our list better.
We can do what we want now with player positioning. We are not playing AFL listed players out of position due to our top ups, the only advantage with the team is potentially getting better top ups.

We can do what we want now with player positioning. We are not playing AFL listed players out of position due to our top ups, the only advantage with the team is potentially getting better top ups.

No we can't. We have to be seen to be trying to win games. This means we are limited to what we can and can't do with development. Not sure why you are chasing me with this when the club has actually said this and so has port adelaide.

No we can't. We have to be seen to be trying to win games. This means we are limited to what we can and can't do with development. Not sure why you are chasing me with this when the club has actually said this and so has port adelaide.
Chasing you? Settle down. You’ve made a comment, I’ve questioned it. If you can point out where the clubs have said AFL listed players are currently played out of position you might have a point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back