Review Dees v the Western Bulldogs & the Ghost of Scragger – the Good, Bady & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

After getting jumped at the start thought we pretty much controlled the game. Kicked 6 of the next 7 after being 3 to 1 down and just kept that 2-3 goal buffer. Probably the right result in the end but probably shouldn't have taken until the last 5 minutes to put them away. Overall a pretty good performance from the whole team, not really any passengers.

Paul Roos justified for saying he'd take Jack Billings ahead of Josh Kelly and Bont. 🎓

Paul Roos justified for saying he'd take Jack Billings ahead of Josh Kelly and Bont. 🎓
I've always said the only way to measure player impact is via AFL Fantasy points

1000009158.png

Last edited:
Please explain
In the Three Quarter Time fan engagement activity - The Demon Dash, participants are asked to race in a 100m sprint against an animated caricature of a current Melbourne player.

Participants are given a random player to race against. This could be anyone from Christian Petracca to Ben Brown.

In this case, the participant landed on Kysaiah Pickett, a player known for his speed. The game master (former Melbourne goalkicker Russell Robertson) seemed to believe drawing Pickett was unfair, and as a result gave the participant a 50 metre head start.

She won easily and earned herself a New Balance voucher as well as a small discount of New Balance apparel for Melbourne Members.

I contend the result was illegitimate due to the enormous advantage the participant was given.

GOOD - Clarry. May. Brown. High score.

BAD - Sparrow was invisible. But to be fair, he didn't give up, he and Billings were the two who ran hard both ways and covered a lot of ground.

UGLY - Fritsch. Yet to watch the replay, but #ATG he was just terrible. No effort. No leads. Just wanted the easy stuff and even when he got those he shanked them. Horrendous.

In the Three Quarter Time fan engagement activity - The Demon Dash, participants are asked to race in a 100m sprint against an animated caricature of a current Melbourne player.

Participants are given a random player to race against. This could be anyone from Christian Petracca to Ben Brown.

In this case, the participant landed on Kysaiah Pickett, a player known for his speed. The game master (former Melbourne goalkicker Russell Robertson) seemed to believe drawing Pickett was unfair, and as a result gave the participant a 50 metre head start.

She won easily and earned herself a New Balance voucher as well as a small discount of New Balance apparel for Melbourne Members.

I contend the result was illegitimate due to the enormous advantage the participant was given.
I know the demon dash, remember the time Headless did it well....was just wondering the controversy.

GOOD - Clarry. May. Brown. High score.

BAD - Sparrow was invisible. But to be fair, he didn't give up, he and Billings were the two who ran hard both ways and covered a lot of ground.

UGLY - Fritsch. Yet to watch the replay, but #ATG he was just terrible. No effort. No leads. Just wanted the easy stuff and even when he got those he shanked them. Horrendous.

Fritta is probably my biggest worry atm, he looks a mile off it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good: Proper Gander and Topkent ... game style noticeably better after their letters to Roffey about it during the week. Glad Goody listened to them. High impact fans.
Next minute, we get some media with Kate claiming credit for the win because we cheered louder.

Then… this gets serious…………

Good: Proper Gander and Topkent ... game style noticeably better after their letters to Roffey about it during the week. Glad Goody listened to them. High impact fans.
Also, Topkent and I have always been very influential around the club

Good all round team performance.

Good

• Windsor hands in close is elite. We're starting to see him getting used to the pace of AFL intensity. Each game he plays, he'll gain valuable experience.

• I honestly thought our defence looked the best it has been ages with the inclusions of Hore and McDonald. Both were very impressive.

• Just on Hore, his intercept marking and ability to peel off and defend reminds me a lot of Tom Stewart. He's best 22 for me.

• Get the ball at every opportunity to Billings. The guy is elite by foot and just picks the right options at all times. His work rate was elite and loved his tackle on wish.com Dusty.

•Great game by Chandler. I've been hard on him for a few weeks but he was brilliant today with his pressure. More of this please.

Ben Brown played his role and brought the ball to ground which is all you ask. He's a massive upgrade on Schache and that's how it should be until Petty is fit and firing.

• Great individual performances by Petracca, May, Gawn and Oliver. All four was absolutely brilliant.

• Kozzie - When he's in and around the midfield he just makes things happen. Please keep this up every week!

• Run down tackles by Windsor and Howes. Kids showing the way!

Bad

Still sloppy going inside 50. It's the simply kick that we are still not executing well.

Ugly

Garbage game once again from Sparrow. Get him out of the team and invest time in Woewodin. Genuinely adds nothing to the team other then pretend that he's a footballer who guards space.

• I know we have crazy Goody, but what on earth is Bevo doing? Decides to leave Macrae and Daniel out over spuds like McNeil and Harmes who was absolutely rubbish btw. Continues to play Rory Lobb who is a genuine spud and then subs out Sanders who was one of their leading ball winners at the same. Weird stuff going on at the West..

Last edited:
Fritta is probably my biggest worry atm, he looks a mile off it.
He always does unless he kicks goals. He is a weirdo who gets 7 possessions but kicks three. The three is plenty, as long as he does it. If he can start slotting them again that would be extremely nice though

Good:
  • The W: we just needed the win. 0-2 is never fun.
  • JVR kicking some goals for his confidence.
  • Clarry shutting up all those fans who wanted him traded.
- Pickett's goal.

Bad:
  • Jake Lever. Stop giving dumb free kicks away when we have numbers under the ball. Not best 22. His brain fades are so costly.
  • Gawns set shot miss and handball turnover resulting in 2 goals against us.
  • Pickett giving a 50m penalty away. Stop doing that.

Ugly:
  • Fritch's goal kicking
  • The fact that TMac and Ben Brown may indeed play again next week due to contributing to a win ;)

Reasonably enjoyable but not taking much out of it, Doggies look woeful and we were pretty similar to how we’ve played in wins over the last 2 years.

Windsor, Billings and Clarry getting back closer to his best the big positives. Clarry even lowered the eyes and hit a target on a few occasions. Hore also looked solid and is a good kick.

Sparrow, Lever and Fritsch absolutely awful.

Still don’t like our game style at all. Dogs gave up space on the wings and forward flanks that decent sides will shut down in a flash.

Good:
  • The W: we just needed the win. 0-2 is never fun.
  • JVR kicking some goals for his confidence.
  • Clarry shutting up all those fans who wanted him traded.
- Pickett's goal.

Bad:
  • Jake Lever. Stop giving dumb free kicks away when we have numbers under the ball. Not best 22. His brain fades are so costly.
  • Gawns set shot miss and handball turnover resulting in 2 goals against us.
  • Pickett giving a 50m penalty away. Stop doing that.

Ugly:
  • Fritch's goal kicking
  • The fact that TMac and Ben Brown may indeed play again next week due to contributing to a win ;)
Gonna roast the best player on the ground and give a pass to one of our worst players (if not, the worst) on the day? :thumbsupv1:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back