Review Cats take THE RIVALRY from the Hawks again with 51 point win

Remove this Banner Ad

Soooo does Henry cop the sub gig twice in a row next week or does he come in for Neale/Rohan?

Rohan has the third tall job ahead of Ollie Henry for mine... but I doubt we'd play him sub twice in a row and Neale went ok.

Also do not see any reason to mess with the smalls... Mannagh, Miers, Close and Stengle can all play together.

Last edited:

Team balance is so much better with recent personnel changes.

No more of yesterday's men Parfitt, MOC, Hawkins (sigh) or Stanley. Good experiments with SDK and Stewart in the middle.

One change for Friday barring injuries. O.Henry out for Knevitt. Keep Mannagh and Humphries in.

Yep. Completely not surprised that a few changes has revitalised the team. Everyone brought in the last two weeks has immediately done a job.

Great to have less reliance on Holmes, Danger and Stengle today.

Credit to Duncan and 2y who I've called time for but been better last couple.

They are when they beat you, love to shoot the mouth off about how great they are

I bumped into a couple of hawks fans a few weeks ago. Their team had just started their winning run, but they were quite serious when they said the hawks were top 4 bound. I know no other supporter base with that type of stupid arrogance.

Last edited:
I actually quite like Hawks fans. They know their stuff and are generally good fun with the banter. Carlton supporters are the worst. They are dead set too stupid to reason with and have show no respect to any other team despite their prolonged history of abject destitution.
Hawks fans are good, never in the height of our rivalry did I worry about going to a game, it was always good fun.
Tigers on the other hand, their fans are the worst

Soooo does Henry cop the sub gig twice in a row next week or does he come in for Neale/Rohan?

Rohan has the third tall ahead of Ollie Henry for mine... but I doubt we'd play him sub twice in a row and Neale went ok.

Also do not see any reason to mess with the smalls... Mannagh, Miers, Close and Stengle can all play together.
O Henry is a real worry for me at the moment, needs some VFL time to get some form as he has been offering nothing the past couple months, id be happy to have Clohesy as the sub.

Hawks fans are good, never in the height of our rivalry did I worry about going to a game, it was always good fun.
Tigers on the other hand, their fans are the worst
Every club has dropkick supporters. Blues are dreadful because they have lots of them but I’ve had some shocking hawkers at games too. Richmond were ok in the old days but in the 2017-20 era were absolutely feral after so many years of failure. I’ve even come up against rabid north supporters. Bombers were pretty bad back in the day. I actually find the pies are an ok crowd by and large. And swans are pretty fair.

Rohan has the third tall job ahead of Ollie Henry for mine... but I doubt we'd play him sub twice in a row and Neale went ok.

It's good that Rohan is getting games but he needs to managed very conservatively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if I was getting him confused with Clark, as I’m genuinely surprised to see that Atkins had only the 11 disposals today as I thought he seemed to be involved a bit more than that but maybe it was him just getting a hand in the way which then doesn’t count as a disposal

Surely one of the most pleasing things from today was the evenness of the performance - the only Geelong player to not reach double digit disposals was Henry who came on late - he still finished with the 3 disposals which included a goal assist. In comparison, 7 Hawthorn players who started the match finished with single digit disposals

All players except Tuohy, Rohan & O. Henry registsered a tackle, with Mannagh going manic with 14 of them, all bar Guthrie & J. Henry had at least 1 inside 50 and what makes that last stat a little more interesting is that Jack failed to register a rebound 50 also - not sure there’d be many defenders with a 0 in that stat line at the end of the match

This is what we were doing so well earlier in the year was that even team performance rather than being reliant on a couple of players to carry the load and lead from the front

Every club has dropkick supporters. Blues are dreadful because they have lots of them but I’ve had some shocking hawkers at games too. Richmond were ok in the old days but in the 2017-20 era were absolutely feral after so many years of failure. I’ve even come up against rabid north supporters. Bombers were pretty bad back in the day. I actually find the pies are an ok crowd by and large. And swans are pretty fair.
I reckon it being starved of success for so long that does it, even a one of my best mates, a level headed Tigers supporter went nuts in that period. He doesn’t watch much football now, got his fix and they’re no longer relevant.

What’s wild is that we were relevant then and are still relevant now.

Not sure if I was getting him confused with Clark, as I’m genuinely surprised to see that Atkins had only the 11 disposals today as I thought he seemed to be involved a bit more than that but maybe it was him just getting a hand in the way which then doesn’t count as a disposal

Surely one of the most pleasing things from today was the evenness of the performance - the only Geelong player to not reach double digit disposals was Henry who came on late - he still finished with the 3 disposals which included a goal assist. In comparison, 7 Hawthorn players who started the match finished with single digit disposals

All players except Tuohy, Rohan & O. Henry registsered a tackle, with Mannagh going manic with 14 of them, all bar Guthrie & J. Henry had at least 1 inside 50 and what makes that last stat a little more interesting is that Jack failed to register a rebound 50 also - not sure there’d be many defenders with a 0 in that stat line at the end of the match

This is what we were doing so well earlier in the year was that even team performance rather than being reliant on a couple of players to carry the load and lead from the front
Good observation. Atkins was shadowing number 3 all night and that made a major positive impact for us.

Going to be fascinated to see how we go next week against Collingwood. They have a dominate midfield but with our big bodies in there I think we can nullify it and then we are better everywhere else.

I think we bring Knevitt back in for Clark - assuming everyone else gets up

I reckon it being starved of success for so long that does it, even a one of my best mates, a level headed Tigers supporter went nuts in that period. He doesn’t watch much football now, got his fix and they’re no longer relevant.

What’s wild is that we were relevant then and are still relevant now.
Yep- tigers will be in the wilderness for years again and yet how good are we at staying amongst it? What a club.

Stewart with his defensive positioning has stopped that ball coming out the front of the stoppages, that is where the Giants and Port got us for 30 minutes.

Absolutely, good observation.

I already did the ''I told you so'' with regards to Tom Stewart's redeployment to our undermanned midfield, so I will forbear, but having big, strong and experienced Pat Dangerfield and aggressive, focused Stewart in the middle has really given our team a whole different vibe; it is a long way from Atkins, Bruhn and Bowes holding down the fort.

The Captain and Vice-Captain are a potent combination in the centre square; Stewart has tended to work the defensive side of the set-up as you said bulletproof and after a shaky moment or two early last week against Essendon he has quickly found a nice groove. Some of his tackling tonight was ferocious.

O Henry is a real worry for me at the moment, needs some VFL time to get some form as he has been offering nothing the past couple months, id be happy to have Clohesy as the sub.

Yep. I said it last week and will again. Regardless of his stats and age i like us miles more with Rohan. He offers more and I'd think neal and JC appreciate him there more also.

Henry goes to reserves and spends the next year trying to change position and play like dempsey.

Rohan has the third tall roll.

I like MOC, I see more of what he provides than most do. But he'd want to have a pretty good game in the magoos tomorrow or find himself relegated to permasub, because Mannagh and Humphries deserve their spots at the moment. On the other hand I reckon next week against the Pies Shark's bigger body and sure hands in the midfeild will give us more than Clark.
MOC at the crossroads ATM. So much skill in the Irish game not translating into ours, but he has his moments.
Just enough to keep us interested.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Cats take THE RIVALRY from the Hawks again with 51 point win

Remove this Banner Ad

Back