Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Great coaching performance today..
Good Coasts’ talls are very good.
Day, King, Mac Andrew,..,
We picked 3 tall forwards and 3 tall defenders and still had our hands full…
If we went smaller, I think GC would have controlled the game in the air. We’ll done Clarko!!

Last edited:

I can't remember exactly when it was. But there was a point before the bye, despite all the overwhelming evidence at the time. That everything was going to be OK, and we were building something for real this time.
It still seems early to say it, but I can feel it my bones. Good times are coming

I’ll plant my flag in it, we’ve got a good few weeks of evidence arguably every game should have been won.

The worm has turned and we hit our rock bottom before the bye.

Great coaching performance today..
Good Coasts’ talls are very good.
Day, King, Chol….
We picked 3 tall forwards and 3 tall defenders and still had our hands full…
If we went smaller, I think GC would have controlled the game in the air. We’ll done Clarko!!
Chol?

Mabior Chol?

The Mabior Chol that plays for Hawthorn?

That Mabior Chol?

I can't remember exactly when it was. But there was a point before the bye, despite all the overwhelming evidence at the time. That everything was going to be OK, and we were building something for real this time.
It still seems early to say it, but I can feel it my bones. Good times are coming
Essendon/St Kilda games. We were competitive in both, albeit with nowhere near the cohesion we're showing now. Was about the time Corr started playing really well and we got threw Pink forward?

I feel like it really started to turn with the Port game. We got smashed on the scoreboard, but we didn't take a backwards step all day and really took it to them physically. The team has played with that same physical intent since then and it's really working for us.

We as fans, and all of the players have been told for years, "when it happens, things can turn around quickly".

In a lot of ways I thought its was just another thing to say to make players / fans feel better.

Now I understand, and I really hope the players are feeling the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine if this was Clarkson View attachment 2042285
One thing we have to acknowledge about the AFL is their consistency.

They can be relied on 100% of the time to launch on some people and then to ignore others when the situations are roughly equivalent.

The AFL are consistently inconsistent.

After the WC win in the press conference Clarkson talked about how it wasn’t about getting a win, it was about building something sustainable. A great message and hopefully the last month of performances is reflecting that.

If we had managed a win against either Collingwood or Melbourne the complexion of our season would be something else.

Glad we have him.

I feel like it really started to turn with the Port game. We got smashed on the scoreboard, but we didn't take a backwards step all day and really took it to them physically. The team has played with that same physical intent since then and it's really working for us.

The players look like they’ve got some clarity, possibly a result of the plan not being overcomplicated or second-guessed anymore.

With talent like we’ve got, we won’t need a Ross Lyon plan where every battler has to stick to a complicated blueprint. We’ll just need to tell these young stars to play to their strengths and keep digging in for four quarters.. And keep believing.

Clarko is the guy for that IMO. I mean, the guy can coach with or without a list of superstars and he’s proven that, especially with his 2008 flag.. But equally, he’s a leader of lads who now has a track record that gives him instant respect and he’s just as good at building lists and retaining/attracting talent.

Sometimes less is more.

I also note that Al looks refreshed and happy. Maybe his head is clear with the narrative around the racism saga shifting and he’s widely viewed in a positive light… But this, now, is his proper start with us in my opinion. And I’m so excited for the club and for him - this is what we were all hoping for. It was nobody’s fault at North the way all that weighed us down but geez it was frustrating. Felt genuinely cursed. But now I think we feel blessed.

That encouragement to Scott at the end... awesome!
I think by now pretty much everyone recognises that Scott has been one of the hardest working and most reliable members of the team. He might not be flash but take him out of the team and we take two big steps backwards.

Admittedly, Colby was sublime in the way he created outlets on Saturday and in his transition out of the backline. But as they say in the classics, why not both?

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back