Autopsy Cats lose their way in 18 points loss to Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Henry really should be on notice. Doing very little of late.

0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 1 goals from his last 10 games for a total of 76 combined touches and 11 combined tackles.
That's a good sample size of piss poor form.

Are they really back?

Last round they just got the win over Collingwood by 3points, after Collingwood had lead for majority of the game

On Friday night against Essendon it took until the 3rd quarter for them to get going & hit the lead - a better team may well have already put them to the sword

Not sure a couple of unconvincing wins counts as being back
The Pies game was pivotal- had they not got the points, I think their belief and confidence would have. been sorely tested. Pies with McStay and Cox, despite the ridiculing he gets here, are harder to beat.
The way they creamed Essendon after half time was powerful. Bombers were desperate.
Yes, I think they are back- just how good that is who knows?
Going on perception, we look to be the worst or equal worst in the 8, but when things click, we are good- just NOT CAPABLE of repeat performances.
On current form, Hawks are the best team in the 8. Hope they don't steal our record score today.

The Pies game was pivotal- had they not got the points, I think their belief and confidence would have. been sorely tested. Pies with McStay and Cox, despite the ridiculing he gets here, are harder to beat.
The way they creamed Essendon after half time was powerful. Bombers were desperate.
Going on perception, we look to be the worst or equal worst in the 8, but when things click, we are good- just NOT CAPABLE of repeat performances.
On current form, Hawks are the best team in the 8. Hope they don't steal our record score today.
Hawks well on the way to kicking a huge score. The Bulldogs had a 96 point win with Darcy kicking 7 goals. Shows what teams should do when they have something to play for.

Attachments

• IMG_2696.png
    IMG_2696.png
    903.6 KB · Views: 7
Hawks well on the way to kicking a huge score. The Bulldogs had a 96 point win with Darcy kicking 7 goals. Shows what teams should do when they have something to play for.
Darcy will become the best player in the comp imho.
We have something to play for next week

If Geelong lose next week it could finish 8th on the ladder. Probably a fairer indication of where we stand given our soft draw. For a team which has a rag-tag b-grade midfield and 5 veterans who could finish up at the end of the year, they've defied expectations. If you had told me at the start of the year that we would be sitting in 4th position at the end of the year I would have choked with laughter. So whatever happens now, even going out in straight sets, as a Geelong supporter you couldn't be unhappy. I hope we put aside that total capitulation to St Kilda, regroup for next week and ce sera sera.
I can’t name 7 teams that have been better than us. There are three. Then a number of others who have been similarly inconsistent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats my point..whoever wins the flag will pinch it. No one in the top 8 is really that good. Sydney is a classic example. Which makes it worse if we dont take the door that is ajar. It would be different if there was a standout team.as then we wouldnt win anyway so it would be irrelevant. To me thats exactly what a golden opportunity is but you and i might have different definitions of it.⁰

Yeah great post , i couldnt agree more , Cats have got a chance to pinch a 5th flag for this extended era

I think C Scott summed up the game perfectly , at this venue , 1st game for Geel this season , Saints played like harlem globe trotters , and i heard Harry Taylor a few years back on the radio when he was the Cats physio , and he said games at this venue are unlike any other ground in the comp , in that at Docklands it is a mubch much quicker game

Good on the Saints for winning the game the way they did , but they have had a wasted season after making the finals the previous season

However what i dont agree with a number of posters is all this transitioning bull dust . , this season is the last year the Cats have got in winning a flag , In the next 5-6 years when the older talented players retire , Geel will transition to become an average team , which is perfectly understandable and acceptable seeing the club has been up and contending for the past 2 decades , and there is no production of talent waiting in the VFL Side , there just isnt

I can’t name 7 teams that have been better than us. There are three. Then a number of others who have been similarly inconsistent.
Swans, Dogs, Hawks, Port, GWS, Lions are all better - as in, would anybody think we would be favourites to beat any one of them next week?

This last sentence is why your posts rub people the wrong way.

You don’t show enough respect to the rarity and exceptionalism of scoring 35 goals in a game.

You can praise a team that is performing very well without the last comment.

Swans, Dogs, Hawks, Port, GWS, Lions are all better - as in, would anybody think we would be favourites to beat any one of them next week?
No, only Swans, Port and GWS. Look at the whole season.

When I saw Miers warming up with the mids, I thought we'd see him playing more wing rather than actually in the guts - I can see it working against the right team or with the right balance in there, but not sure we got that last night

Bowes to defence was always on the cards once Touhy was out managed & Duncan then named as sub - agree it was his best game in defence and maybe that was partly due to the absence of the other 2 I just mentioned because he suddenly had a more defined role rather than just slotting in amongst others. It was interesting that the first time he did go into the guts was in the last after Duncan came on - maybe it gives us a few headaches going forward because we've seen his impact in the middle, but last night he showed he can do it from defence also

I agree that they wouldn't deliberately risk the game, but at some stage you've got to try things in a live environment to see if they work and it's safe to say that not everything worked last night - I think that in part is why I'm not completely upset with what we saw in the second half, why I'm not ready to declare season over & wanting to throw out all the toys. I believe we've had much worse losses this season, but I also believe we'll take more out of last night than we have from many other games this season

Having said that though - if we play like shit over our next couple of matches, it'll all mean nothing
Yes in the much more sober light of today I am less downcast, given lots of factors that have been well raised and discussed in this fred.

We are in the mix and if IF we can get it rolling then who knows?

Maybe not favourites but we could beat any of those on any given day.
Definitely.

The whole thing is still there for the taking

I’m with you on Swans, Dogs, Port & GWS, they all have far better lists than us atm (also Carlton if they were fit).
Hawks are performing well but we took care of them very easily and that can’t be discounted.
Lions should be better but they’re currently very flaky.

This last sentence is why your posts rub people the wrong way.

You don’t show enough respect to the rarity and exceptionalism of scoring 35 goals in a game.

You can praise a team that is performing very well without the last comment.
So 5 goals in 5 minutes and 9 goals to 1 in quarter 1 doesn't allow the levity of asking the question? Whatever anyone says here should have zero ability to rub you up the wrong way- just idle comments on a footy thread.
As it is, Tigers are more competitive right now, so yes, it was a fleeting and unlikely prospect

But most of them have had tougher drawers. Happy to name the teams better than Geelong - Swans, Port, GWS, Lions, Bulldogs. Freo is a better team based on a tougher drawer and a lot of interstate games. So that leaves Hawthorn who is probably playing better football right now than all of them. Look at the percentages of the top 8 teams. Geelong has the lowest percentage at 107.7. This is not the percentage of a top 4 side. There is no denying that Geelong has overachieved given the talent on their list. Our ruck/midfield combination is easily the worst of the top 8 teams if not the entire competition. If we had half decent midfielders, Dangerfield would be playing forward and Stewart down back where he is meant to be. When Atkins is your first picked midfielder you know you have problems. He wouldn't get on the midfield rotation at any other club.

No, only Swans, Port and GWS. Look at the whole season.
Looking at the whole season is what the ladder is all about.
What is your honest own perception of where we stand in the 8 as it is now?
Do you believe we are well enough equipped to beat any of those teams in the next few weeks?
I'm not saying we can't, and am reacting to yesterday. Hence the question about next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Cats lose their way in 18 points loss to Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back