Autopsy Cats lose their way in 18 points loss to Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with a lot of that summary.

But for our MF to get streeted like that in 10mins is poor. We need to lift our ability to slow the game down and kill the tempo for a few mins. We had the same issue in the sydney game up there and it will cost us if we dont.

I still think the impact is big as we will struggle to win more at the SCG than MCG. 2 MCG finals and i would have said we can make GF.
First half centre bounce and Danger was flying. Now it might have been just me but second half I couldn’t see him there to take or fight for centre possession. Did they make some move to prevent it, or was he off the ground a lot? I don’t have access to replay this week (in apathetic afl Sydney) so can’t tell why they cruised it out of midfield repeatedly. Such a turnaround mystery.

But most of them have had tougher drawers. Happy to name the teams better than Geelong - Swans, Port, GWS, Lions, Bulldogs. Freo is a better team based on a tougher drawer and a lot of interstate games. So that leaves Hawthorn who is probably playing better football right now than all of them. Look at the percentages of the top 8 teams. Geelong has the lowest percentage at 107.7. This is not the percentage of a top 4 side. There is no denying that Geelong has overachieved given the talent on their list. Our ruck/midfield combination is easily the worst of the top 8 teams if not the entire competition. If we had half decent midfielders, Dangerfield would be playing forward and Stewart down back where he is meant to be. When Atkins is your first picked midfielder you know you have problems. He wouldn't get on the midfield rotation at any other club.
Agree with the bolded, disagree with the rest. Performance is output, not potential, though and Geelong has outperformed everyone but the three I named.

So 5 goals in 5 minutes and 9 goals to 1 in quarter 1 doesn't allow the levity of asking the question? Whatever anyone says here should have zero ability to rub you up the wrong way- just idle comments on a footy thread.
As it is, Tigers are more competitive right now, so yes, it was a fleeting and unlikely prospect
It was an impressive start, but maybe wait a quarter next time. Or add a wink so we know it’s a bit of levity

Looking at the whole season is what the ladder is all about.
What is your honest own perception of where we stand in the 8 as it is now?
Do you believe we are well enough equipped to beat any of those teams in the next few weeks?
I'm not saying we can't, and am reacting to yesterday. Hence the question about next week.
Exactly, and the ladder reflects the performances of the teams very well.

It is not a measure of current form, which appears to be what you are getting at.

If we played a final next week we would be an underdog to any interstate side we were playing away plus the Dogs. We would be solid favourites against the filth.

It was an impressive start, but maybe wait a quarter next time. Or add a wink so we know it’s a bit of levity
it's always levity when it comes to near impossible outcomes- tbh, my footy mate texted me while we were out walking asking exactly the question I posed here. He turned it off after seeing 5 goals in 5 minutes, and added fuel to the fire recalling it was the Tigers that we smashed in 07 in a similar manner. We were able to maintain the rage. Looks like Hawks have dropped off a b it and Tigers have stepped up. I'm happy, hate them both - with respect

it's always levity when it comes to near impossible outcomes- tbh, my footy mate texted me while we were out walking asking exactly the question I posed here. He turned it off after seeing 5 goals in 5 minutes, and added fuel to the fire recalling it was the Tigers that we smashed in 07 in a similar manner. We were able to maintain the rage. Looks like Hawks have dropped off a b it and Tigers have stepped up. I'm happy, hate them both - with respect
All good Vdubs, it’s always hard to read the vibes of a text without context and tone, but I’ll remember it for next time! 🤪

And thank God they dropped off!

It is not a measure of current form, which appears to be what you are getting at.

If we played a final next week we would be an underdog to any interstate side we were playing away plus the Dogs. We would be solid favourites against the filth.
even current form is fickle and seemingly transient- Doggies today are world beaters again.
And what about %? That is also supposed to be a good measure of a team's credentials.We currently sit 8th in the 8, given we still get to play WCE next week, but I am never one to think any game will be a big % booster.

My issue with Cameron's game isn't kicking goals or getting enough disposals, it's what he does with them. A couple of times last night his decision-making killed a couple of promising forward thrusts. That said, he's not at the top of the tree when breaking down the issues that came from last night.
Panic sheer panic. Like the basketball kids who won’t get eyes up. Stk talls had no trouble plucking his ill directed passes. Many of us don’t like roaming Jezz on the wing, gets outbodied and then unco over the ball~if he does a knee there I’m going to hurk.

Please pray for me.

My rabid partner will go mental and make my life questionable if the Hawks go deeper than us come finals 🫣😔

Is Jake Waterman secure at WCE?
Looks a good prospect, very handy KF Tomahawk replacement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Jake Waterman secure at WCE?
Looks a good prospect, very handy KF Tomahawk replacement.

Pretty sure he's secure and just looking for a $$$ bump

I like our young prospect as a long term KPF option

Here's a comparison of Waterman & Neale at the same age - thinking Scratcher is tracking nicely in his development

1723965094941.png

At least we are aware now of what we should expect, and no more ridiculous comments by some that we ARE good enough to pinch it this year. We simply are not, but making top 4 is. still an outstanding achievement with the wholey team we have.
If the Cats had dispatched the Saints with some ruthless efficiency, I would have thought we were a chance for the flag. But the way they capitulated in the second half has me thinking we'll be out in straight sets.

From 2007 to 2022,
Our record the week after playing in Perth was 21 wins 0 losses.

Also,
No team has won the flag from 4th under the current finals system.
We've never beaten Sydney in a final in NSW.
We've never beaten Port in a final in SA.

Not saying we can't win the flag but we're definitely up against it now, and we'll have to do it the hard way.

If interstate clubs finish 1 2 5 6 which game will be switched to the MCG? I would love to see it happen and it is possible. The fighting would be a laugh.

Panic sheer panic. Like the basketball kids who won’t get eyes up. Stk talls had no trouble plucking his ill directed passes. Many of us don’t like roaming Jezz on the wing, gets outbodied and then unco over the ball~if he does a knee there I’m going to hurk.

I don't know, it comes across as...lazy? He's a laconic chap but with ball in hand it feels like he looks up the field, sees an option and goes "yep, that'll do" without putting much more thought into it. At least, that's what it comes across to me like.

But yeah, his non-competiveness if he's even slightly out of position for a mark is annoying.

From 2007 to 2022,
Our record the week after playing in Perth was 21 wins 0 losses.

Also,
No team has won the flag from 4th under the current finals system.
We've never beaten Sydney in a final in NSW.
We've never beaten Port in a final in SA.

Not saying we can't win the flag but we're definitely up against it now, and we'll have to do it the hard way.

We're no chance.

We don't have the cattle + needed a home game in Vic to have even have the smallest of chances but we threw it away last night.

Next week is a danger game, we need to deliver or possibly face off in an Elimination final 👎
Currently an injury-plagued and out-of-form Carlton side is belting the Eagles on their home turf. If we can't easily dispose of that side at home with top 4 on the line and to celebrate and see off one of our all-time legends, then we shouldn't be playing finals at all.

Pretty sure he's secure and just looking for a $$$ bump

I like our young prospect as a long term KPF option

Here's a comparison of Waterman & Neale at the same age - thinking Scratcher is tracking nicely in his development

View attachment 2083679
I'm not sure how you can possibly compare the 2. Waterman has been a 3rd tall/lead up forward for the majority of his career and is very short.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Cats lose their way in 18 points loss to Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back