List Mgmt. “It’s a form of tanking” the Richmond rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think you needed to read it to be dumber, as it’s clear that just like a few others in this thread you’ve failed to comprehend what you’ve read.

We get it but even the hysterical click hungry footy media are not going to accuse a team of tanking who just lost about 300 games to injury in a season and took it as a cue to pivot into a strong draft.

That, or we are tanking our way to 8 first round draft picks.

Tank you very much. 😎

Last edited:
We get it but even the hysterical click hugry footy media are not going to accuse a team of tanking who just lost about 300 games to injury in a season and took it as a cue to pivot into a strong draft.

That, or we are tanking our way to 8 first round draft picks.

Tank you very much. 😎
I absolutely guarantee that they will.

I suppose their salt will taste fine while we are dining out on our 8 first round draft picks SYL. ;)
We’ll see if you still feel that way by mid way of 2025.

We’ll see if you still feel that way by mid way of 2025.

By that time we'll be doing a Bart Cummings and putting our 2yo colts away for next years Burnley Derby against the Hawks, with a view to the cup from the year after. As we are taking out our next dynasty flag the same pundits will be saying the cups kigs have done it again, Tigers an uprecedented B2B dynasties. What they say in the meantime we will just treat as if it is a cry for help. 🙂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually quite like the way Richmond have approached this.

It's clear that a rebuild was both necessary and underway (whether they like it or not). What I think they have been able to do is bring in a huge crop of young talent, while also keeping their 'structure' in place so that they aren't totally thrown to the Wolves.

Richmond will still line up next year with veteran key and medium defenders (Balta, Vlastuin, Short), a core veteran midfield (Nankervis, Prestia, Hopper, Taranto), and some forward presence (Lynch). There's also 'bodies' in most other important spots (eg: Miller/Ryan/Kosi as talls, outside players like Ralphsmith/Sonsie etc).

That's at least a framework you can slot young talent into. I assume they come out with, say, 3 young midfielders - who can play day 1 if they are ready, or go into the reserves for a bit.

The key is obviously going to be development though. There's some beltings come their way next year and a bit like the Gold Coast / GWS split in the 2010s, so much hinges on keeping that group motivated and developing in the midst of what might be some rough times...

Reckon every team is watching us closely in anticipation, have we reinvented the "rebuild" or set up ourselves up for another 30 years of pain.

If you want my opinion, best case one or two years of pain then a rise up the ladder to dynasty level seven years after that

It’s a long time to stick fat with the strategy, but it works out.

Those clubs in perpetual rebuild have board coups and seem to want to ‘start over’ too soon

If you want my opinion, best case one or two years of pain then a rise up the ladder to dynasty level seven years after that

It’s a long time to stick fat with the strategy, but it works out.

Those clubs in perpetual rebuild have board coups and seem to want to ‘start over’ too soon
Jeez Id take 2 years and a little rise up, I thought 3 more likely.

The big asset not being talked about much in the media yet is how flush with cash we will be over the next few years to further fast track the rebuild via trades and FA's. Going to be exciting, atleast until its not.

Hawks of 2024 should give us hope that a raft of kids can get on a roll.

OP is absolutely laughable.

They're going all in. Moved on the guys that want to leave, stripped the whole lot back, racked up high picks in a deep draft. It is an absolute must before Tasmania pillage the whole lot.

Imagine a scenario where Gold Coast or GWS were able to retain a lot of the talent they were handed because they were a powerhouse Victorian club with a history of recent, sustained success.

If Richmond can nail this, they will be extremely well set up for years to come.

They're going all in. Moved on the guys that want to leave, stripped the whole lot back, racked up high picks in a deep draft. It is an absolute must before Tasmania pillage the whole lot.

Imagine a scenario where Gold Coast or GWS were able to retain a lot of the talent they were handed because they were a powerhouse Victorian club with a history of recent, sustained success.

If Richmond can nail this, they will be extremely well set up for years to come.
Another one who can't comprehend what they've read.

This. We won’t lose these elite kids we bring in this year and in the next 2 years because we aren’t some expansion club in a northern market. We’ll also have a massive war chest to grab some FA’s from 2026 on.
Our strategy would be a lot harder for a st.kilda, Carlton or Essendon to do because they have no recent success for their fans to lean on.
I personally couldn’t be more excited about this strategy we’ve undertaken as it’s never been done before.

I think it’s a bold strategy that will pay off long term. They’ve got great value for the players they moved on.

Fair play as long as they are willing to wear the short term pain with class, unlike North who intentionally torpedoed their list and then immediately put their hand out for priority picks.

Unlike Hawthorn, Richmond has a really poor history at the draft. The last time they had a draft hand like they'll have in 2024 they drafted;

ND:

1. Brett Deledio
4. Richard Tambling
12. Danny Meyer
16. Adam Pattison
20. Dean Polo
36. Luke McGuane
52. Dean Limbach
65. Mark Graham

PSD:
1. Trent Knobel
6. Ty Zantuck

Rookie:
1. Will Thursfield

I say let them 'tank' all they want
I think drafting in general has come a long way since then across the league. A lot of the top prospects are coming in and impacting early at AFL level, and I think clubs are getting better at recognising talent. I know our club has since those days.

We won't draft 8 stars, but we won't draft 8 duds either. If we can get a couple of guns, a couple more long term players that's a great result, and yes there'll probably be a couple of average players and a dud or two in there as well.

They’ve made out like bandits in the trades they’ve done, but a good draft hand is no guarantee of success (ie their massive 2004 draft hand which was mostly a bust).

If they nailed every one of their first 8 selections then in five years that’ll be the backbone of a good team, but you’d think they desperately need a few old heads to guide the ship in the next few years.

I hope they’re willing to back Yze in for a while because it’ll be a rough few years.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. “It’s a form of tanking” the Richmond rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

Back