List Mgmt. “It’s a form of tanking” the Richmond rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond are setting themselves up for a decade or longer of mediocrity. You can't cut this deep and develop a winning culture again. Blue struggled through a decade of false dawns because of it.

I absolutely love it. Keen for Richmond to bounce between the Spoon and 9th until the 2040's.

Best draft since GWS entered the league. It’ll be quick.

Best draft since GWS entered the league. It’ll be quick.
Premonition - it won't.

Combination of the least talented line up across the past half a decade + recent success arrogance + terrible contracts to B+ players like Hopper + deep cuts + fickle fan base = a long long long time at the bottom.

I think it’s going to fail with a North like fallout coming.

You still need some good senior bodies around to support all these young guys. It’s all well and good having a handful of top picks, however first you need them to all come on well and develop but then they need support around them.

They’re cutting too deep IMO alongside all their retirements. In for a world of pain for a few years.
Yep, completely agree.

We saw it with Melbourne, when the likes of Grimes, Trengrove and Watts were thrown to the wolves and it absolutely had a negative impact on their development and therefore their careers.

On the flipside, if the Richmond batch are in fact a talented one, there's this thing called the salary cap which means they won't be able to retain them all through to the time they will be in premiership contention...

There is a bit of over reaction to Richmond's perilous state. Of course there will be a gulf of experience lost, but others will be back. For one, Lynch. He is fit and doing his first preseason in 3 years. He is a massive in for us. Gibcus will be back as well. Of course this is contingent on injuries, but that can be said of all sides.

Injuries killed us last year. At one stage late in the season we had 10 players over 193cm on our list either out for the season or hadn't played for the season. 5 knee reco's. We fielded between 4-8 players AFL players in our VFL side for much of the year. Sure many of these players were not best 22, but many were young and on the way up. Who knows what they will do next season.

Do you need experienced players to take you forward, just ask Hawthorn. They have a smattering of senior experienced players but a lot of 21-24 year olds with some games under their belts moving forward as a group. We have a lot more senior players that the Hawks did last season, and will require our young players with a season or two under their belts to step up, but that is normal football progression.

You can't always plan the way you transition. After 3 flags and a couple of poor season, some of those players were looking to regenerate the last part of their careers. I say good luck to them and thanks for their contributions. Of course there will be pain to come at times next year, but a year of development and a bit of luck and it might not be all tears.

David King advocating that Tigers should trade Lynch, because apparently if you don’t you’re “half pregnant in your rebuild”.
Well he is an idiot though so lets not be too harsh on him, who would trade away all their experience in one season, leaving the kids to rebuild the clubs culture etc, pure stupidity.

It’s probably just me, but it’s quite amazing watching media types spur on Richmond to trade out as many senior players as possible to grab a bunch of kids after finishing last in 2024 with just 2 wins, considering that when Hawthorn traded out just the 2 senior players tanking allegations were leveled at the club for a good 8 months after trade week.

Richmond are quite likely looking at being as uncompetitive a team as we’ve seen in the last 15 years with the amount of experience headed out the door, and will be clear favourites for the 2025 wooden spoon.

After how many 15 goal beltings will the media flip on Richmond, compare their formline to Fitzroy’s last few years of heavy defeats and start using the “it’s a form of tanking” lines?
I don't remember tanking allegations for the Hawks on that.

If there were, I would find that a stupid summary/take on the situation, and would equally find it stupid if referenced to the Tigers now.

I don't remember tanking allegations for the Hawks on that.

If there were, I would find that a stupid summary/take on the situation, and would equally find it stupid if referenced to the Tigers now.
Must have been living under a rock.

Definitely the right strategy to trade those guys out for picks.

Wouldn’t make finals with the players they are losing for 4-5 years anyway most likely, might as well go hard early to get back to the top sooner.

Richmond are setting themselves up for a decade or longer of mediocrity. You can't cut this deep and develop a winning culture again. Blue struggled through a decade of false dawns because of it.

I absolutely love it. Keen for Richmond to bounce between the Spoon and 9th until the 2040's.
Only a decade you reckon? Bit generous lol

Until the clubs actually get more control over player movements then this is going to be an ongoing issue not just for Richmond but every other club at some stage.

Are we the only sport in the world where players dictate where they go pretty much? Like with franchise cricket players get signed for single seasons with possibility or being retained and certainly in American sports it can work for both players and clubs.

I love the NBA model where when a player has earned the right they can sign anywhere as a free agent but I also love that clubs can be ruthless and ship them off to anyone that gives them the best deal.

In the end why bother drafting players from interstate when it’s all said and done in the end they can say they want to go home but home means not at this club or that club I want this club. It should be totally up to the club to get the best deal for themselves.

Kane Cornes is so blind that he can’t understand why teams are signing people up for 7 years plus. The simple reasons are they can move money around caps easier and the club has more power when a player wants to leave.

6 plus year contracts will be the norm soon because clubs that do it hold the power and force the other team to pay up.

I think more so than ever we are going to get waves of players each year start leaving clubs that have a had a time at the top and may be on the decline that lose players trying to chase the ultimate glory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. “It’s a form of tanking” the Richmond rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

Back