List Mgmt. “It’s a form of tanking” the Richmond rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s probably just me, but it’s quite amazing watching media types spur on Richmond to trade out as many senior players as possible to grab a bunch of kids after finishing last in 2024 with just 2 wins, considering that when Hawthorn traded out just the 2 senior players tanking allegations were leveled at the club for a good 8 months after trade week.

Richmond are quite likely looking at being as uncompetitive a team as we’ve seen in the last 15 years with the amount of experience headed out the door, and will be clear favourites for the 2025 wooden spoon.

After how many 15 goal beltings will the media flip on Richmond, compare their formline to Fitzroy’s last few years of heavy defeats and start using the “it’s a form of tanking” lines?

You sound jealous

Unlike Hawthorn, Richmond has a really poor history at the draft. The last time they had a draft hand like they'll have in 2024 they drafted;

ND:

1. Brett Deledio
4. Richard Tambling
12. Danny Meyer
16. Adam Pattison
20. Dean Polo
36. Luke McGuane
52. Dean Limbach
65. Mark Graham

PSD:
1. Trent Knobel
6. Ty Zantuck

Rookie:
1. Will Thursfield

I say let them 'tank' all they want
Since then... hmm, let's see...
Cotchin (triple premiership captain, Brownlow medallist, state captain).
Martin (Brownlow, three Norm Smiths, modern great)
Riewoldt (Coleman medals, premiership medals)
Rance (5 x AA)

Who else have I forgotten... well, there's triple premiership players Rioli, Grimes, Vlastuin, Astbury, Edwards, Castagna and Lambert. And there are the dual premiership players...

It's almost like you're trolling.

Rance (5 x AA)

Who else have I forgotten... well, there's triple premiership players Rioli, Grimes, Vlastuin, Astbury, Edwards, Castagna and Lambert. And there are the dual premiership players...

He probably isn’t

Attachments

• IMG_5612.gif
    IMG_5612.gif
    530.9 KB · Views: 3
I can’t remember opposition fans being this up in arms about another clubs trading previously. Probably because outside of giants and suns, no club has ever had the draft hand Richmond will in 3 days time.

And this is just the beginning. Pick 1 next year too.

North, WC, Richmond, Hawks will be the powerhouses post Tassie.

Good luck everybody else with their rebuilding lol.

Rance (5 x AA)

All great picks in their own right but they weren't selected in the same year were they?

I can’t remember opposition fans being this up in arms about another clubs trading previously. Probably because outside of giants and suns, no club has ever had the draft hand Richmond will in 3 days time.
I think supporters blame Richmond for whinging and causing the ridiculous points curve to exist for another year, then they make their own 3rd round picks irrelevant by trading out 4 B grade players and saying they are A graders warranting 2 first round picks each.

Rance (5 x AA)

In fairness his point was regarding having one big hand at one draft and just assuming that’s going to result in a raft of good picks when there’s past instances - from your club no less - where it hasn’t worked out that way. The Suns are another example. Equally as your own club has shown you might have years where you don’t have as many but you can ace it and you can set yourself up perfectly

It’s probably just me, but it’s quite amazing watching media types spur on Richmond to trade out as many senior players as possible to grab a bunch of kids after finishing last in 2024 with just 2 wins, considering that when Hawthorn traded out just the 2 senior players tanking allegations were leveled at the club for a good 8 months after trade week.

Richmond are quite likely looking at being as uncompetitive a team as we’ve seen in the last 15 years with the amount of experience headed out the door, and will be clear favourites for the 2025 wooden spoon.

After how many 15 goal beltings will the media flip on Richmond, compare their formline to Fitzroy’s last few years of heavy defeats and start using the “it’s a form of tanking” lines?

Question - when Hawthorn were rebuilding in recent times, did you also interpret that as the Hawks tanking as well?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think supporters blame Richmond for whinging and causing the ridiculous points curve to exist for another year, then they make their own 3rd round picks irrelevant by trading out 4 B grade players and saying they are A graders warranting 2 first round picks each.
So we are asking too much? Just accept whatever first offer another club throws at us and be thankful?

Tbf the OP is actually having a snipe at certain elements of a he footy media (Damien Barrett in particular).

A lot of people are just assuming Richmond are heading back to a 90s-2000s style run where success is a false dawn and rebuilds are botched at the draft.

But I think the majority of AFL fans should want Richmond to succeed in their rebuild becuase it's also the only way their own club can win a flag. The polarity model should be championed over perpetual contending. A false economy creates the Sydney's and Geelong's of the league. Not many clubs get to live in that space without special assistance (COLA, academies, Cotton On).

Most clubs' path to a flag is down and up. Not to be always up then get over the hump.

Woah are recruiters only around for 1 year each? What a savage industry.

Can’t believe you actually wrote that. Be better.
Why don't you read the posts in order instead of just the last one? Are you stupid?

Question - when Hawthorn were rebuilding in recent times, did you also interpret that as the Hawks tanking as well?
No, but that’s not what this thread is about.

Read what you’ve quoted again.

I like what Richmond are doing in smashing the **** out of the draft as quickly as possible. They needed to and they can keep doing it until Tasmania come in.

What's more, they've earned the right. 3 flags in four years and everybody is sated. Anyone who knows anything about football understands they milked every drop from their list and now use the down cycle to replenish properly for another tilt by 2030.

Zero point in doing a half rebuild now.

They'll be 3 years behind North but both teams will be up for a while once they get there.

I'd hate to be one of the teams still on an up cycle with players in their early 30s when the draft is compromised again. I support one of those teams.

Not tanking. Merely expediting their rebuild.

In fairness his point was regarding having one big hand at one draft and just assuming that’s going to result in a raft of good picks when there’s past instances - from your club no less - where it hasn’t worked out that way. The Suns are another example. Equally as your own club has shown you might have years where you don’t have as many but you can ace it and you can set yourself up perfectly
Almost like its a lottery. Better to have more tickets i suppose..

It’s a pointless comment not everybody nails every pick and we’ve made some good ones creating a dynasty.

He may as well have said the floor is made of floor.

I like what Richmond are doing in smashing the **** out of the draft as quickly as possible. They needed to and they can keep doing it until Tasmania come in.

What's more, they've earned the right. 3 flags in four years and everybody is sated. Anyone who knows anything about football understands they milked every drop from their list and now use the down cycle to replenish properly for another tilt by 2030.

Zero point in doing a half rebuild now.

They'll be 3 years behind North but both teams will be up for a while once they get there.

I'd hate to be one of the teams still on an up cycle with players in their early 30s when the draft is compromised again. I support one of those teams.

Not tanking. Merely expediting their rebuild.
Agree right move
But will Tiger fans have stomach for being non competitive until 2028?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. “It’s a form of tanking” the Richmond rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

Back