List Mgmt. “It’s a form of tanking” the Richmond rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

There's going to be a huge reliance on Prestia, Lynch, Taranto and Hopper being fit and in form.

The defence looks ok and I wonder if Short will look better without Rioli there.

If Nank, Taranto, Prestia and Hopper are all fit and firing the midfield will at least win some ball. It could be competitive. It's very, very one paced though and there's not much creativity or defensive resilience in there.

A couple of injuries and they're going to be a mess though cause apart from the very vanilla Ross or Sonsie who looked out of his depth they're relying on 1st or 2nd year players. Surely Dow is finished. I wonder if Rioli can go through there for the odd burst to give them some spark.

The forward line looks really poor and that's assuming Lynch is back to his best.

The challenge really is to maintain training standards and development for the kids when the onfield smashings come. Cause even though I don't agree with the "they won't win a game" stuff there will be smashings at different points.

Pretty good summing up.

Ross is better than you think - not a star but probably B grader.

The midfield, if fit, will get the ball and make the team competitive. The defence is good, genuinely solid. Without Lynch and Bolton there is no forward line. With Lynch it'll work OK-ish. So best case is a team that is competitive, strong defensively, but will struggle to score and stop rebound and run and carry footy. Likely to win a few games, but unlikely to scare the top 8.

If we get a lot of injuries again, then it'll be very ugly.

If the younger guys already in the squad develop well the team will be a lot stronger - added pace and skill. That's a fairly large if though.

Hopefully you guys get an early crack at them.

Can see you guys beating them by 10 goals. Might be the confidence booster needed to kick start the season.

Oppo teams have to be careful approachig a predator club like the Tigers with the intention of feasting on the carcass that they are not just playing dead.

squirrelplaysdead-squirrel-plays-dead.gif

Otherwise, you might be in for a little fright...

. zoo-lady.gif

No.

It's just you.

And of coarse.....it's all about Hawthorn. ;) :joycat:
By the responses to this thread it’s clearly not just me, nor is it all about Hawthorn.

The media will lay the boots into Richmond and Yze will be in the gun by midway through 2025, with lots of hindsight heroes claiming that Richmond should have held Rioli and Bolton to their contracts. I would almost bet my house on it.

By the responses to this thread it’s clearly not just me, nor is it all about Hawthorn.

The media will lay the boots into Richmond and Yze will be in the gun by midway through 2025, with lots of hindsight heroes claiming that Richmond should have held Rioli and Bolton to their contracts. I would almost bet my house on it.

He's been in the gun on the Richmond board all year.

If the board are as fickle as the supporters are he won't be long in the job.

He's been in the gun on the Richmond board all year.

If the board are as fickle as the supporters are he won't be long in the job.
No he hasn't. I don't read that Yze thread because what's the point, those threads are usually for the toxic posters, but in general we realised our plight last year.

Injuries killed us. We played a couple of games with 3 fit players in the VFL. Most of the season we had about 6-8.
5 knee reco's. Later on is the season we had 11 players over 193cm either out for the season, had played a couple of games or hadn't even gotten on the park. Nobody could run a team with that sort of injury and most posters new it.

With a fit side we lost to Carlton by 5 points and beat Sydney round 4. Then the injuries hit, Lynch and Gibcus gone, the rest followed in the next few weeks. Thompson Dow was our lead midfielder at one stage.

No he hasn't. I don't read that Yze thread because what's the point, those threads are usually for the toxic posters, but in general we realised our plight last year.

Injuries killed us. We played a couple of games with 3 fit players in the VFL. Most of the season we had about 6-8.
5 knee reco's. Later on is the season we had 11 players over 193cm either out for the season, had played a couple of games or hadn't even gotten on the park. Nobody could run a team with that sort of injury and most posters new it.

With a fit side we lost to Carlton by 5 points and beat Sydney round 4. Then the injuries hit, Lynch and Gibcus gone, the rest followed in the next few weeks. Thompson Dow was our lead midfielder at one stage.

Think about that "Thompson Dow was our lead midfielder at one stage"

:roflv1:

Because Lynch, Prestia, Vlastuin, Nankervis, Taranto, Short, Balta, Gibcus, Broad are all crap and most of them are lucky to win one flag much less 3.
Yes, because you won a flag that means you become immortal and will forever be in your prime right?
Will they all be on the park together?

Correct - so if anything I have watched shit sides week in, week out for 5 years.

Paramount Network Ryan GIF by Yellowstone

Will be like when Dimma first took the helm.
Plenty of losses but we have to play the long game.
Watch the kids improve in time and not be too gun happy like the old horrible days.

Just need to draft the next Dusty, Cotch, Riewoldt and Rance.

Should be a piece of piss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be like when Dimma first took the helm.
Plenty of losses but we have to play the long game.
Watch the kids improve in time and not be too gun happy like the old horrible days.
There's a potential huge issue that comes with this strategy. All these first rounders are going to come out of contract in the year that Tasmania will be building their inaugural AFL list and Tassie will have cash to splash on the young players that are out of contract. So if there's a few years of struggling towards the bottom of the ladder for the Tigers, then you may well see some of these kids take up a big offer from Tasmania before Richmond get the opportunity to climb the ladder. We saw it happen in the past when number 1 pick Tom Scully was targeted by GWS.

Bloody exciting times for the Tiges.
I remember 60s and 70s when they were running around topping up their premiership list with blokes from all over, for the most part pretty successfully, and one year (73 , 74?) they won flags in all 4 age groups, so they looked like they could have continued on for a while with quality youngsters coming through and ready made players traded in. They did exploit this double effect for the 80 flag, but sadly for them they got distracted on GF day 82 by some beaver running around the MCG, then the club imploded.

This time round the experienced part of the list weakened, so there will be heavy reliance on the raw kids being developed properly. Is the coach the right one for this development task? Looks like Ouzey may have been hired for a different coaching role to the one he now has. That will be interesting to observe.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. “It’s a form of tanking” the Richmond rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

Back