Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

I must say im surprised that the more permanent half forward role didn’t pan out better at the start of the season. But maybe there were other reasons for that. His first game back was freo round 2 and he seemed to play well, but after that not so much.

The difference in his stats 1st half to 2nd half this year are stark
Thats because it appeared he sooked it up, he looked unhappy not getting CBA’s..

What are you on about?

One of the dumbest comments behind McKercher can’t kick.

Jy would play back pocket if it meant Roos won. He bleeds blue and white as much, if not more than, anyone on the list. What a dumb comment.
I didn’t say he cant kick, I said he was t an elite kick. A 7/10 kick. Dont put words in my mouth. I said Kerch is arguably our best kick.

Jy sooked it up. 100%. Im not the only one

Our midfield has looked a million times better since he went back in there properly in round 13.

I don't think people truly grasp how shitly that midfield was performing. On paper it was good, but it was bottom 2 in the league on most metrics that truly count and would've had coaches pulling their hair out. We were legitimately a laughing stock and I know that for a fact.

Remember when they were making under 14s mistakes in the setup in there? That shit stopped the moment Jy stepped in.

Anyone who has played midfield at any decent level knows that you need that bloke in there who sets you up, helps the ruck understand where they're hitting, who blocks, who identifies the dangerous space and player, who runs defensively and helps the fancier players conserve some gas.

LDU is a fantastic player, but it's just not in him to be the setup leader in there. He needs Jy more than anyone else and his form has gone through the roof because of it.

Harry is a freak, but he can't do it all, and it's still yet another role he's learning. He'll take over from Jy in that role when and only when Jy is legitimately pushed out of the midfield, no when we're gifting a spot in there to blokes just because they're a couple years younger.

Wardlaw just needs to hunt, he doesn't yet have the acumen to do all the setup work.

Powell uses the ball well, but can't run defensively and is quiet as a mouse.

Will when he's in there is understandably focusing on his own game.

The boys all respect Jy and when he pulls them all together at the start of a bounce, they ****ing listen. And it works.

On top of that he's a legitimate ball winner and breaks through packs with his movement.

I used to think he was overrated on here back in his half forward days. Now he is so criminally underrated that I cannot actually understand how people don't see it.

Our midfield has looked a million times better since he went back in there properly in round 13.

I don't think people truly grasp how shitly that midfield was performing. On paper it was good, but it was bottom 2 in the league on most metrics that truly count and would've had coaches pulling their hair out. We were legitimately a laughing stock and I know that for a fact.

Remember when they were making under 14s mistakes in the setup in there? That shit stopped the moment Jy stepped in.

Anyone who has played midfield at any decent level knows that you need that bloke in there who sets you up, helps the ruck understand where they're hitting, who blocks, who identifies the dangerous space and player, who runs defensively and helps the fancier players conserve some gas.

LDU is a fantastic player, but it's just not in him to be the setup leader in there. He needs Jy more than anyone else and his form has gone through the roof because of it.

Harry is a freak, but he can't do it all, and it's still yet another role he's learning. He'll take over from Jy in that role when and only when Jy is legitimately pushed out of the midfield, no when we're gifting a spot in there to blokes just because they're a couple years younger.

Wardlaw just needs to hunt, he doesn't yet have the acumen to do all the setup work.

The boys all respect Jy and when he pulls them all together at the start of a bounce, they ****ing listen. And it works.

On top of that he's a legitimate ball winner and breaks through packs with his movement.

I used to think he was overrated on here back in his half forward days. Now he is so criminally underrated that I cannot actually understand how people don't see it.
Great summary of him and what he means to the team and what the other players and coaches think of him.

In the loss last week North butchered opportunities with awful kicks from Sheezel and Wardlaw among others. It’s like some people only see it from some players. Jy’s overall contribution on-field - apart from what he seems to provide teammates off-field - is substantial.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMG_0389.jpeg

It’s actually mind numbingly stupid how underrated he is by some North supporters .

Jy got off to a cracking start early IIRC.

It's what happens in between that probably sticks out. He doesn't get much support when the pressure factor lifts from opposition.

When we're flying, he's flying. When we're down, he'll try to do too much and might make a mistake.

Has genuine intensity and as tough as they come but you can't ignore the two major flaws in his game.

He often kicks hurriedly and doesn't take the first option by hand.

He can't use a lack of experience as an excuse.

What he brings to the midfield outweighs his flaws.

Ive had enough of this bloke. Every week he burns open players inside 50. 150 games of experience and he hurts our scoreboard so much.

He gets pinned HTB far too often, he handballs at team mates feet, he completely fries team mates, His poor disposal hurts too much on the rebound.

100 and ****ing 50 games, the skipper. Ive had a gutful, trade the campaigner.

Ive had enough of this bloke. Every week he burns open players inside 50. 150 games of experience and he hurts our scoreboard so much.

He gets pinned HTB far too often, he handballs at team mates feet, he completely fries team mates, His poor disposal hurts too much on the rebound.

100 and ****ing 50 games, the skipper. Ive had a gutful, trade the campaigner.

Rubbish. He’s one of our best players.

There were others who were so much worse than him that he escapes any feedback for the game. Nice start and then yeh, is just there.

If Sheezel and LDU didn’t exist and Jy was our number one midfielder, there would be pure venom directed at him and the club. So thank god there’s better players to build the midfield around.

He is the anti Sheezel. Just totally different levels.
Still think if he played half forward and this goes for all our mids - if you can’t contribute then step aside and let those who can, do.

Last edited:
5 turnovers in 24 possessions. Poor, he needs to go
I just feel after like 6 close games, at half time you’d be really trying rev up your midfield group or set standards, because you know this is position in the game is a weak spot for the group.

And then you’d also take on Clarkson’s message from every single post game which highlights poor skill errors, over using the ball and giving it back to the opp.

He did lift against West Coast, but I haven’t seen that level since then, and they’re a bottom 3 team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back