Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

We all know he is a liability by foot. Any chance of someone in the coaching staff or teammates telling him that?

How sad that we all wished he hand balled to the 4 game veteran in RHJ instead of taking the shot?

Can he be the small forward that we are searching for? Is evasive, has speed, can crumb, can work up and back using his fitness?

Why do we keep persisting in the middle when he turns it over so many times? Can he either be the extractor and handball out to release LDU and others, or stay forward and try to crumb and apply F50 tackles?

Why is he always the release player kicking inside 50?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

he missed the quick handball/kick twice. they seemed obvious, FROM BIRDS EYE VIEW with no sound or prior inmstruction. did his teammates not ask for it, did they ask but he didnt trust them over himself, did he feel soo rushed he needed a pause and then still couldn't take stock so took the safest option of kicking it out wide? was it team direction or his understanding of the game that stopped him executing what seemed obvious from birds eye view? does he feel his position as cap't means he shouldnt take the first "obvious" option? who knows. hopefully they're working on it.

Whenever Simpkin is near the ball or has the ball I have the same feeling that applies to Sheezel, but instead of the feeling that something good is going to happen, it’s the exact opposite. If he’s our third best midfielder as some posters think, we still have a way to go to completing our midfield.

In the last quarter he put up a huge defensive tackle effort which I thought changed the momentum of the match so props to him for that.

He runs harder than his mates and is very good at knowing when to put in a hard 50-100 to get on the end of a chain.
It’s just a pity he has been on the end of said chains however.

I am usually one who defends Jy and his disposal, but this year his kicking (and to a lesser degree, handballing) has been sus to say the least.

Watching the replay, Jy will either want to watch that game on repeat or burn it because 75% of his decisions with the ball in hand were the wrong option. Yeah, it is loud and chaotic on the ground. But that is football. And good footballers know how to absorb pressure and remain composed. Jy’s composure -simply put- stunk.

Added to that, how many times did he kick it into an obvious smother, have his loping handballs intercepted or simply couldn’t muster anything more than a scrub miss-kick along the ground. It was terrible.

I will say there were key moments of manic pressure he applied, but he needs to either improve his disposal by foot or the coaches pretty much have to ban him from kicking, especially inside 50.

To put it another way, McDonald is by far and away the in-form Captain…

How I pictured DuckYeah watching Jy's game yesterday
I Told You So Smirk GIF by The Maury Show

Unless he was called back with the flight to contest at the 50 in the last. He pulled out of that one., if that was Dylan Stephens this site would be in meltdown
There were probably 4-5 noticeable ball watching moments where our players were waiting for others to get in there and make something happen. This usually coincided with the Tiges having the ascendency.

Powell, Stephens, Stephenson all guilty.

He is what he is.
Just the weakest link in the midfield.

The West Coast game was 8 weeks ago ffs. One game does not make a season.

His game was so bad it would have been toxic to point it out live.

But but he had 512 metres gained!!!
Spare me

Give Phillips Jy’s midfield minutes. Half forward for Simpkin or he can be the captain of the VFL.
Ziebs copped so much more shit for his midfield limitations and yet Jy’s a protected species.

Staggering that a bloke like Archer has realised his own shortcomings by foot and plays to what he is capable. Meanwhile, 200 games in, our co-captains continue to blaze away with kicks they can't make.

To be fair Luke’s last couple of months he’s largely curbed that and played more within himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love him and a lot of the criticism for him is absolutely ridiculous from some genuine clowns
case in point 🤡
He is what he is.

Spare me

Give Phillips Jy’s midfield minutes. Half forward for Simpkin or he can be the captain of the VFL.
Ziebs copped so much more shit for his midfield limitations and yet Jy’s a protected species.

Easily our hardest midfielder around the contest.

Yeah and I'm a huge fan of Jy and cannot see him not being in the side, but for the first time his poor disposal or poor choice of disposal or his lack of awareness in annoying me.

At one stage yesterday surrounded by 40 opponents he thought he'd be able to spin around and kick the ball, was never going to happen, nothing bad came of it, but seriously you'd think he's been playing long enough to think through these scenarios.

Not sure what we can do about it, but one thing, his love and commitment to/for this club cannot be questioned.

He working hard on not punching opponents, although according to old mate, Jy was close to whacking one of them long haired hairband wearers for the Cats. fwiw he should havelol

He is what he is.

Spare me

It just can’t believe more people than myself share this very opinion.

Skills and kicking, Phillips has him.

Jy’s lack of power through his kick. Hail Mary’s from the centre and turn overs should be worrying signs as our captain who is 26, probably isn’t going to be getting any better at those things.

But no, jy is untouchable.

Didn’t we win games without him last year?

Love him and a lot of the criticism for him is absolutely ridiculous from some genuine clowns
:handpointdown:just weird that you morons keep dunking on yourselves tbh
He’s shit and part of the mediocrity our club will sustain if players like him are not either moved on or improve significantly

He is not on my list that will lift silverware. I was a massive supporter of his at 50-75-100 games. His last 50 has been putrid. No improvement, he can ship off

Maybe true, so with that in mind

1. Sheezel
2. Wardlaw
3. LDU
4. Duursma
5. Comben
6. McKercher
7. Xerri
8. Logue
9. Zurhaar
10. Curtis
11. Archer