Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

I reckon he has to hit someone in the head (or bring someone to ground with his momentum (+/- headlock))

I would love to see him get really aggro and use that aggression in his Football. I reckon Sam is a bit "too elegant" as he runs and jumps into the air, I would like him to get a bit of mongrel in him.

Thoughts?

While I agree and also think he needs to go in a bit harder at times, the problem with doing so is that it saps energy and is an injury risk (particularly given his young body and more so if he's fatigued).

Yeah, I think he should select a couple of contests a game and go in full steam. However not make it a constant part in his game, just when he needs to get into the game somehow he could employ a crash & bash style ala. BigBadBustling.

Am really happy to see him ride out his poor form, learn & develop in the seniors and eventually get some relief when Tippett makes his start in the red & white. Should be a pretty good duo if they can really focus on learning each others running patterns and communicate really well. Will be a very happy chappy in a couple of years knowing we made sure we gave Reidy every chance to develop and learn at the elite level and didn't try to cotton wool him. Having both Tippett & a more matured Reidy playing along side each other will be a sight in a couple of years I reckon.

Big test this week for the young lad though, just another learning process and development should follow from it hopefully. He just need to keep his head up, don't lose sight of the big picture and work bloody hard (which it seems to me is what he has been doing so far...).

Huge game for Reid this week.for me he should concentrate on leading up the ground and taking some big marks. If he can provide a strong target up the ground it will go along way to winning the game. Bombing it into the forward line will not work this week, Gibson and lake will be licking their lips

Huge game for Reid this week.for me he should concentrate on leading up the ground and taking some big marks. If he can provide a strong target up the ground it will go along way to winning the game. Bombing it into the forward line will not work this week, Gibson and lake will be licking their lips
I agree with you about disposal going inside 50. Cannot bomb. Forwards have to keep leading up and mids have to lower their eyes.
If Gibson and Lake both have an opponent that makes them accountable and makes them actually have to defend in one on one contests then they won't be licking anything but each others ****. Gibson is possibly the most overrated player in the last 10 years. Has made his name playing the majority of the time as a spare man being third up in a contest and fisting the ball. Gibson is a bludger who has had his career in the game prolonged by the tactics of the Modern game.

I agree with you about disposal going inside 50. Cannot bomb. Forwards have to keep leading up and mids have to lower their eyes.
If Gibson and Lake both have an opponent that makes them accountable and makes them actually have to defend in one on one contests then they won't be licking anything but each others ****. Gibson is possibly the most overrated player in the last 10 years. Has made his name playing the majority of the time as a spare man being third up in a contest and fisting the ball. Gibson is a bludger who has had his career in the game prolonged by the tactics of the Modern game.

This so much!! No wonder he leads the AFL in spoils all the time...

EDIT: Da hell is with my avatar and signature...WHERE IS ROMPINGWINS AND MORTO?!?!?

I'm not making him the whipping guy. Apart from 3 goals against Brisbane, what has he done this year?

Not a lot, the thing is we should continue carrying him until tippet comes and then see how he performs. Dropping him before that will shatter his confidence and he needs to atleast be tried

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a lot, the thing is we should continue carrying him until tippet comes and then see how he performs. Dropping him before that will shatter his confidence and he needs to atleast be tried
Fair call. Seeing him and Jesse White carrying all that potential and not delivering is just really frustrating.

Fair call. Seeing him and Jesse White carrying all that potential and not delivering is just really frustrating.

He is only 21 and well, look at tomahawk. But yeah hate to see him not deliver. Shit house game to judge his performance on though

Tommahawk got sent to the vfl at times
He needs a stint, but we don't have anyone to replace him with. No way we can manage with a forward line of LRT/Walsh/White, we'd be smashed week in week out. At least with Tippet we'll have the flexibility to change things around.

He needs a stint, but we don't have anyone to replace him with. No way we can manage with a forward line of LRT/Walsh/White, we'd be smashed week in week out. At least with Tippet we'll have the flexibility to change things around.

Can we carry reid against the dockers pies and dons out of form though. Id rather get morton in and go smaller, oresuming mummy is fit

Can we carry reid against the dockers pies and dons out of form though. Id rather get morton in and go smaller, oresuming mummy is fit
Without a doubt he's very important to our structure, more so that LRT is injured & Mumford is injury prone. Without a tall option deep in our forward line, the ball will be easily cleared and rebounded. Just compare our forward line pressure before & after LRT.

We'll just need to persist with him until the mid-season break when we hopefully get LRT & Tippet back.

Compare his form at this point of the season to last year, and you'll see he was no better. He didn't come good for at least 12-13 matches after the North game when he injured his shoulder.

Look if we had the depth I'd say drop him but we don't.

We all knew depth would be an issue this year and its hit us hard already.

But you have to look at the game in context we had shitty F50 entry's it was always going to be tough.

But overall he had a pretty good game, what people forget is the impact Reid has when he pushes back in defence.

Morton can not do that he just doesn't have the effort or size to be effective. There's no point dropping Reid if there's no one to replace him.

Sam Reid's lack of progress is disappointing, to say the least.

I recall the sense of excitement when we signed him to a five year deal, and the expectations that were heaped on him.

That deal does not look like such a good idea now. At best, Reid has been slow to develop. At worst, he might not.

The only constructive thing to do is send him back to the two's for an extended period, and hope there's more to him than Jesse White.

Easy fix, play him out of the square and let him lead up from there , not doubling back from past the centre
We don't really play that style though, we may do with Tippet because of his marking capability. Opponents know that all they need to do is keep a spare back and you block Reid's leading space.

I'm a little concerned that with Tippet coming in we'll be too Tippet-centric. It'll definitely help Sam Reid playing CHF, and I'd really like to see Reid play a lot more like Nick Riewoldt, lead up the field and double back towards the goals. He's so fast and athletic he'll burn off just about every defender in the league.

Seems to me that we are making all the excuses for him in the world, though nice to read some balanced views on him here. Look, I like Sam Reid, I just hope we don't have another White on our hands. It's a catch 22. We've no-one to replace him, but we are now carrying him. Seeing him get pushed back into defense because he is not delivering up front, was sad moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back