List Mgmt. 2007 trade week discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

It was reported the other day that Loners had been virtually assured of being promoted however there was no assurance for Grima. This however will more than likely change once trade week has concluded depending on our list changes.

As far as trades go, it appears that Callan is off to the kennel and Tenace is being sounded out by the Swans (interesting considering the limited success of Sarge & Spriggsy, our most recent Sydney bound ex-catters) but not a great deal else. Kingy will sign on for another year and Blakey will stay on also (his manager is probably trying to compensate his client with $$$ for missing the big one).

Bomber said he did't think that we'd be major players in trade week so expect there to be very little going on next week. Some of our fringe players will be enquired about but our depth was a key to our success last year and I'm sure they'll look to keep it that way.

Lets not forget that trade week is usually the biggest over publicised event on the football calander with 1000's of trades mooted but usually only just over a handful going through.

It was reported the other day that Loners had been virtually assured of being promoted however there was no assurance for Grima. This however will more than likely change once trade week has concluded depending on our list changes.

As far as trades go, it appears that Callan is off to the kennel and Tenace is being sounded out by the Swans (interesting considering the limited success of Sarge & Spriggsy, our most recent Sydney bound ex-catters) but not a great deal else. Kingy will sign on for another year and Blakey will stay on also (his manager is probably trying to compensate his client with $$$ for missing the big one).

Bomber said he did't think that we'd be major players in trade week so expect there to be very little going on next week. Some of our fringe players will be enquired about but our depth was a key to our success last year and I'm sure they'll look to keep it that way.

Lets not forget that trade week is usually the biggest over publicised event on the football calander with 1000's of trades mooted but usually only just over a handful going through.

Extremely sound post, those IMO will be the only trades we will do unless a team wants: Byrnes, Playfair, Spencer, Sam Hunt (although id rather keep him) or Charlie.

I reckon at least 3 of the above will go, and if we can trade Tenace for a 2nd round and Callan for a 3rd or 4th we would be laughing and only 3 would have to leave in the above group. This would also mean Grima and Lonegan could be promoted.

No, you have to be 30 AND have 10 years of service.

http://www.aflpa.com.au/index.cfm?id=3E5B5465-D0B7-180C-16DD22F23BD26BFD

Harley turns 30 and has his 10th year at the Cats in 2008, so actually I'm not sure if that counts or not. He might not be eligible until 2009.

Reg,as i read it, a player must have completed 10 years service at the club.
Davenport should be able to play seniors whilst being a Rookie listed player as Owen will be on the long term injury list with his knee injury.

Reg,as i read it, a player must have completed 10 years service at the club.
Davenport should be able to play seniors whilst being a Rookie listed player as Owen will be on the long term injury list with his knee injury.

Yeah I read it that way as well. If that is the case, then Milburn will be the only veteran and we can have a nominated rookie (not needing any long term injuries).

In that case it might well make sense to keep Davenport on the rookie list another year - I just think at 22 he looks ready to be tried at AFL level, so the main thing is that he is available for senior selection.

If we're going to elevate all these guys off the rookie list, we need to do more than trade these average players for 2nd or 3rd round picks. We already have a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick, and we're obviously only going to draft the bare minimum 3 players. Why do we need to have 6 or 7 picks in the second and third round?

We need to include our picks and upgrade them so we can possibly have 2 or 3 picks in the 1st round.

If we're going to elevate all these guys off the rookie list, we need to do more than trade these average players for 2nd or 3rd round picks. We already have a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick, and we're obviously only going to draft the bare minimum 3 players. Why do we need to have 6 or 7 picks in the second and third round?

We need to include our picks and upgrade them so we can possibly have 2 or 3 picks in the 1st round.
Correct. And I'm sure the club will know it. Basically, to promote Lonners and Grima, we need to delist 5, leaving 3 spots for the draft. I am struggling to find 5, but it can be done. We don't want 2nd or 3rd rounders in exchange for one of our players. We want our first round pick, and 2 picks from 10-30.

The AFL wishes to advise the following key dates as part of the 2007 NAB AFL Draft Process:
Tuesday Oct 2 - Friday Oct 5
NAB AFL Draft Camp

Saturday Oct 6
Victorian State Screening Session

Monday Oct 8 to 2pm Friday Oct 12
Exchange Period

Saturday Oct 13
South Australian State Screening Session

Sunday Oct 14
Western Australian State Screening Session

Wednesday Oct 31 (2pm)
List Lodgement One, including rookie promotions, retained second year rookies and father / son selections

Wednesday Nov 14 (2pm)
Draft Nominations Close

Friday Nov 16 (2pm)
List Lodgement Two

Wednesday Nov 21 (2pm)
Delisted Player Nominations Close

Saturday Nov 24 (10am)
NAB AFL Draft Selection Meeting

Tuesday Nov 27 (2pm)
Uncontracted Listed Player Nominations Close

Friday Nov 30 (2pm)
List Lodgement Three and TPP Estimates

Friday Dec 7 (2pm)
Delisted Player Nominations Close

Tuesday Dec 11 (10am)
NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft Selection Meeting

Tuesday Dec 11 (10.15am)
Nomination of Brisbane Lions and Sydney eligible rookie list players

Tuesday Dec 11 (10.30am)
NAB AFL Rookie Draft Selection Meeting

Ah, I see, so Grima will be a walk-up start then?

No, but he'd go very close, the reason we need to elevate him and not Davenport is because if we don't elevate Grima, we lose him, and he's too good to lose, If we don't elevate Davenport, we can still keep him as a rookie.

Hopefully Davenport will happily spend one more year on the rookie list, If not, we'll elevate all 3, (inc Lonners) and only use 3 picks in the draft.

So the rumours are....

I hvae been looking around the threads and found out that (it is rumoured)...

Byrnes is being courted by Richmond (oh god please)
Callan is linked to Western Bulldogs
Blake is wanting to leave
King is wanting to leave
Tenace to Sydney
Prismall to Ess, Nth, Coll

Personally I think only the Callan and Tenace ones will happen. I hope to see Byrnes in Richmond colours (but thats only cause I hate him so.)

I know it is trade week coming and the boards are filled with rumours like 'Jon Brown to the filth for last pick in the draft' but what are the rumours we've heard?

No, but he'd go very close, the reason we need to elevate him and not Davenport is because if we don't elevate Grima, we lose him, and he's too good to lose, If we don't elevate Davenport, we can still keep him as a rookie.

Hopefully Davenport will happily spend one more year on the rookie list, If not, we'll elevate all 3, (inc Lonners) and only use 3 picks in the draft.

Is he too good to lose?

I've haven't seen him as much as others. From what I have seen there are some really good signs - good hands, hard at it, great endurance - but also some shortcomings - not quick, dodgy kick (we don't really need any more of those), often looks like a reasonably solid VFL battler rather than a gun. He's only 20 and will get much better, but we have a lot of quality 19-22yo players on our list and we won't be able to keep them all.

And he's not even remotely close to the best 22 at the moment. He'd be a long way behind Mooney, N Ablett, Hawkins and Ottens as tall forwards, and Stevie Johnson is also capable of taking a few grabs. Even Charlie would probably get a run ahead of him (if we keep him). Lonergan kicked six in a half in the VFL GF a couple of weeks ago and will most probably be elevated. I'd suggest there would have to be a few injuries before Grima would get a run next year.

Don't get me wrong, I like the kid and wouldn't be upset if he was elevated, but not at the expense of a better option.

My opinion is that Davenport has more to contribute to the AFL side next year - perhaps playing in Byrnes' spot. So my main concern is that he is available for senior selection. If that club thinks Grima is up to it as well then I fully support promoting all three, or leaving Davenport on the rookie list but only as a nominated rookie. Worst case scenario in my book would be promoting Grima but leaving Davenport as a rookie who can't play seniors in the absence of long term injuries.

Is he too good to lose?

I've haven't seen him as much as others. From what I have seen there are some really good signs - good hands, hard at it, great endurance - but also some shortcomings - not quick, dodgy kick (we don't really need any more of those), often looks like a reasonably solid VFL battler rather than a gun. He's only 20 and will get much better, but we have a lot of quality 19-22yo players on our list and we won't be able to keep them all.

And he's not even remotely close to the best 22 at the moment. He'd be a long way behind Mooney, N Ablett, Hawkins and Ottens as tall forwards, and Stevie Johnson is also capable of taking a few grabs. Even Charlie would probably get a run ahead of him (if we keep him). Lonergan kicked six in a half in the VFL GF a couple of weeks ago and will most probably be elevated. I'd suggest there would have to be a few injuries before Grima would get a run next year.

Don't get me wrong, I like the kid and wouldn't be upset if he was elevated, but not at the expense of a better option.

My opinion is that Davenport has more to contribute to the AFL side next year - perhaps playing in Byrnes' spot. So my main concern is that he is available for senior selection. If that club thinks Grima is up to it as well then I fully support promoting all three, or leaving Davenport on the rookie list but only as a nominated rookie. Worst case scenario in my book would be promoting Grima but leaving Davenport as a rookie who can't play seniors in the absence of long term injuries.

With you Reg.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Davenport will struggle to get a game next year, barring a few injuries. Vegas is ahead of him for Byrnes' spot, and Prismall ahead for a midfielders spot. I also have concerns about his kicking, he is almost S Byrnes MkII.

Davenport will struggle to get a game next year, barring a few injuries. Vegas is ahead of him for Byrnes' spot, and Prismall ahead for a midfielders spot. I also have concerns about his kicking, he is almost S Byrnes MkII.

Davenport craps all over Byrnes. Actually uses his pace to effect and is dangerous when he streams towards goals. His kicking is erratic, not terrible. Some days he's on and he looks very classy. Others, like in the VFL Grand Final, he has a bad day and looks terrible. He'll polish up in that regard.

You're probably right that those two are ahead of him, although if we lose Prismall and Byrnes next week that changes things a little. Look, he's unlikely to walk into the side in Rd 1, but I don't think he's that far away and it won't take too many injuries before he's right in the mix.

As far as kicking goes, I agree with catempire. Davenport has his bad days (eg. VFL GF), but Byrnes is having a bad career. I think you'll find that Davenport's career goalkicking stats are a hell of a lot better than Byrnes' 19.38, and he averages a lot better than Byrnes' four goals every ten games. In fact he kicked twice as many goals as that just in 2007. Ever seen Byrnes kick 8 in a game, at any level? Could you even imagine him doing that? I couldn't.

Byrnes' field kicking is not too bad, but Davenport's is better - from what I have seen he consistently chooses better options, hits targets and puts it to a teammate's advantage.

The other point - he's still a couple of years younger than Byrnes and has been playing the game for less time, so probably has a lot more upside to come. I think he's a far superior prospect.

I entirely agree with everything you have said (I still can't believe Byrnes is a premiership player), but considering our limited scope for list changes this year - and the fact that Davenport has a year to run on his rookie contract - I would rather see Grima and Lonergan promoted before him. Obviously everything may change after trade week, but at this stage I would not have him in my senior plans.

Any interest in Marty Mattner if he became available?

If he was used as a wingman instead of in defence (Neil Craig was too stubborn to do this), I think he could become quite valuable for us (if he improved his awareness). Certainly backs himself.

My new prediction based on the latest info.

We will pick Donohue with our 4th selection.

We will elevate Lonergan. We will keep Davenport and Bedford as rookies and delist Grima and Reynolds.

That will require 5 spots on the senior list to be freed up.

Spencer, Owen and Sam Hunt will be delisted. Owen will be re-drafted as a rookie.

Callan, Playfair, Gardiner and Tenace will be shopped around. The goal is upgrading picks.

If Tenace cannot bring an upgraded 1st round or an early 2nd round, then he is more value being held on to. I don’t think any club will pay that so I think he’ll stay.

Callan looks close to over the line in a trade and if not will be delisted.

That leaves H and Charlie. One will be delisted and, IMO, picked up by another club in one the drafts.

Any interest in Marty Mattner if he became available?

If he was used as a wingman instead of in defence (Neil Craig was too stubborn to do this), I think he could become quite valuable for us (if he improved his awareness). Certainly backs himself.

is still youngish (25) and a good tackler, likes to run and break lines (gets caught on occasion but can forgive that) and kicks long which mooney would appreciate.

If price is right he would be worth a look but not sure we are in the right position after winning the premiership to chase trades.

is still youngish (25) and a good tackler, likes to run and break lines (gets caught on occasion but can forgive that) and kicks long which mooney would appreciate.

If price is right he would be worth a look but not sure we are in the right position after winning the premiership to chase trades.

I'd love him but he would take up to much room in the salary cap.

Travis Johnstone

Being shopped around, would we be interested?

He's 27. Outside, skilful player. Struggled at Melb this season where they are overly-reliant on him. Also questions over work ethic. May add some polish to our midfield, we already have plenty of inside players.

This is one we'd look at if Prismall was insistent on more opportunities

Re: Travis Johnstone

He's 27. Outside, skilful player. Struggled at Melb this season where they are overly-reliant on him. Also questions over work ethic. May add some polish to our midfield, we already have plenty of inside players.

I can't see us actually trading TJ unless we were to recieve a generous offer which is highly doubtful. I think we are just putting him on show to say "look get serious or you're gone", hopefully he gets himself right between the ears.

Re: Travis Johnstone

What would you give for him?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2007 trade week discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back