2010 Drafting, Trading, List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that's good. I'd definitely look at Stribling again. Has worked really hard, and his tank is up there with the best. Plenty of experience playing inside and at the centre bounces too, which is always handy.

As for some other ex-Fremantle recruits, Benet Copping and Jack Juniper (who combined for 5 years on our list) are both playing in the SA Amateur Football League - yes, that is the level below the SANFL.
Yeah I saw Jack Juniper play for SHOC's about 3 years ago (I think) in the Div 2 SAAFL grand final, still a good player but doesn't want to be an elite player obviously.

Some guys who might want to come home.

Alistair Smith
Josh Hill
Brendon Stack
Cruize Garlett
Neville Jetta
Jamie Bennell
David Myers
Brad Dick (if can get over hes injury slump)

Just to name a few that might think of a trade.

Is there any footage of Bradley Hill brother of Stephen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The trial run of the BigFooty Phantom Draft is just about over, and I've finished up with our selections. How did I do?

Also, head over to the phantom draft board for all the other write ups.

Pick 18 - Fremantle
Shane Kersten (South Fremantle)
191 / 90 / 93

Bio: In a draft class that isn't full of KPP talent, Kersten is one of the standouts in my opinion. Having said that, I'd have Kersten as a first round talent regardless of how the deep the draft went.

Some people have referred to Kersten as being an undersized KPP, but is 191cm really that undersized? I'd take a strong, hard leading 190cm guy over a lanky 198cm forward any day. And that's exactly what Kersten is - hard hitting, quick on the lead and a strong mark. He also has a long and accurate kick on him, which is pretty handy for a full forward.

As most people know, he was invited to the draft combine last year by GWS and I'm surprised he didn't get picked up. He was dominating Colts football last year and kicked averaged 3 goals a game for WA in the U18 Championships playing as an underager. While at the draft combine, Kersten finished in the top 10 for both the 20m sprint and the repeat sprints. So I don't think I have to tell you, is he quick and he uses that speed well on the lead.

Kersten has compared himself to Brendan Fevola in the past, and it's not a bad comparison really. Although I'm going to go with Jack Riewoldt instead. He shares a lot of their positives - on the defensive side of things he is hard hitting and does have that burst to run down players when he wants to. But he also shares a lot of their negatives - my main worry was inconsistency and him staying involved in the game. He isn't the highest possession winner, but on the weekend he finished with 20 possessions. So more of that, and my worries will quickly disappear.

If it wasn't for injury forcing Kersten to miss the U18 Championships this year, I don't think there is any doubt he would be right up there in top 15 discussions.

Why Fremantle? Ultimately this pick came down to Kersten and the other WA tall Fraser McInnes. I've been critical of us not playing a genuine full forward this year, Bradley started well but isn't suited to playing at full forward and well Anthony has struggled with both form and injury this year. Kersten should straighten us up, and also allow the likes of Bradley and Mayne to play with a bit more freedom.
Pick 37 - Fremantle
Clay Smith (Gippsland)
180 / 78 / 93

I was all set to pick a flashier player here, more for my own enjoyment than anything else. But if the draft were to fall like this in real life, then I would hope Fremantle pick the quality inside midfielder. So that is what I have done.

There isn't much not to like about Smith - as an inside midfielder, he is one of the better ones outside of the top five. Is a genuine clearance machine, and quite simply he is always going for the contested ball. Very strong tackler, he'll settle in at the centre bounces in no time. People will be talking about Smith as a future leader before his debut season is even over.

What separates him from some of the inside midfielders in the past, is that Smith actually has versatility. He can play outside too where he links up well and his kicking is underrated. While he can be dangerous up forward particularly defensively. Wherever he plays, he wins the ball.

Fremantle need a young clearance player, particularly as we no longer play Palmer in the midfield. I considered Newman here, and although he'd be a good fit it's still probably too early for him. And I might have liked Merrett, but we already have plenty of his type. The same goes for Forster. Which leaves Clay Smith, and really he is the smart pick at this stage for Fremantle.
Pick 55 - Fremantle
Murray Newman (Swan Districts)
179 / 67 / 93

I really had no idea who to pick here. I was considering Newman with my second round pick, as well as another player who is still on the board. But I was tempted to see where they would both land, and there are a couple of kids coming out of the NT and one from NSW that I was seriously looking at. But I figured I'd just keep things simple and go the guy I rated the highest.

I think Newman has a very good chance at making it in the AFL, and although he is only small I think he is a pretty safe bet here. He played through the midfield in the U18 Championships, and averaged 20 touches. And despite his size, he is strong in contested situations and his vision allows him more time than what others would have.

Newman only played one Colts game this year - for 28 possessions, 6 goals and 7 tackles. Since then he has featured in the Swan Districts league team, not bad for a small 17 year old.

If I had to compare him to an AFL player, I'd go with Cruize Garlett. Like Cruize, he finds the ball and is a real team player who links up well. But, I think Newman also has better speed and more versatility than Garlett. I actually rate Newman as one of the best small forward prospects in the draft, so if his size does hold him back from becoming a permanent midfielder I think he'll find a home for himself in the forward line.

Why Fremantle? We're still lacking that certain something up forward, particularly with the inevitable injuries to Ballantyne and Walters. His speed and skill will also add a lot to a midfield which I think is often one paced and predictable.
Pick 73 - Fremantle
Cameron Shenton (Norwood)
187 / 78 / 90

I really like this pick, and I think the 20 year old Shenton represents really good value at #73. Fremantle fans will know I've talked up Gavin Roberts a fair bit since we drafted him, and I think Shenton is a similar type.

Although he isn't super tall, Shenton spends a fair bit of time deep in the forward line and he does it well. I think Tom Langford is the better long term forward prospect (19 year old, around the 193cm mark who featured in my mock) but Shenton has the x-factor.

He has really nice speed, and is a strong mark too. Can pluck the odd mark that he really shouldn't come down with. Is also a good kick for goal - he has 34 in 13 league games this year, with a haul of 5 on the weekend. He isn't limited to playing as a leading forward though, and he has played up on the wing and run through the midfield.

At AFL level, I see him playing the hit up half forward role. Which is something we need at Fremantle, best case scenario would be Shenton giving us a Fyfe like presence up forward allowing the real Fyfe to continue dominating through the midfield.

But there is obviously a reason why a talented 20 year old isn't on an AFL list, and it's consistency.
Pick 91 - Fremantle

Was deciding between three ex-AFL players currently going around in the SANFL with this pick. Former first round pick from Adelaide and later on with Carlton Darren Pfeiffer, ex Sydney rookie Dean Terlich and an old Docker who never got a debut Toby Stribling.

All three are playing well, and I'll likely do a mini write up for all of them. But for now, one of them is just that class above...

Darren Pfeiffer (Norwood)
183 / 81 / 87

Pfeiffer has been a bit of a journey man as of late. Started as a first round pick with Adelaide, who then went over to Carlton as a rookie. Where he made his debut, and if I remember correctly kicked a game winning goal against Fremantle that season. Ended up getting delisted again, and after a season playing for Southport he made his return to Norwood.

All that time away has clearly helped him, as he returned with a brand new attitude and work rate. Everything I've heard suggests he has really matured since his last stint, and since it wasn't talent that cost him last time, that is good news.

He isn't super quick, but has that burst of speed in breaking through the packs. Not the leading clearance winner in the SANFL, but he is the best in my opinion. Is averaging over 20 touches a game, at a disposal efficiency of 83%. Quite simply, the guy just looks a class above and he is one of the favourites for the Magarey Medal for a reason.

Is Newman a realistic chance to slide outside the top 40? I obviously don't see a lot of Swan Districts games any more but I'm surprised that an 18 year old playing regular senior WAFL footy is considered a fairly late pick in what many regard as a weak draft?

Well I thought he was good value when I was picking at 37. Didn't think he would last to my third pick. And I don't expect he would come the real thing either. Someone his age and size playing regular league football is a huge positive.

Good picks Chris.

The other option could've been;

Shane Nelson
Clay Smith
Jordan Kelly

Not sure about Pfieffer myself. I'd go Nic O'Brien with that late pick.

To extend on the Griffin situation I heard he is disappointed at being the 3rd ruck choice behind Clarke and Port are doing the rounds, sounding out potential ruckman. Personally i'd find it strange he would leave because the whole reason for leaving Adelaide was because of his family.

He is contracted for next season and very handy on our list. As 3rd ruckman he would get some games, who knows how many. But if Port have the trading power to snare an in contract ruckman ahead of Richmond and GWS, that would be awesome!

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 Drafting, Trading, List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back