News 2012 Media Thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

on 3aw Worsfold was asked about Micale and he stated that he was great for them and its would be a geood get for Watters.

So sounds like he will def be coming to Saints?

http://www.saints.com.au/tabid/5315/default.aspx?newsid=146902
Rhys Stanley's Hot Seat interview.

I'd like to highlight that he says this (see the youtube video below) is his most embarrassing moment.

This strikes me as some further "proof" of Stanley's lack of self-confidence that he developed under Lyon. Most players would simply shrug something like this off, as it's a simple mistake; especially since it happened over 2 years ago. But for Stanley to bring it up, indicates to me that he often dwells on it, or has dwelled on it to a reasonable extent in the past. This reeks of Stanley being over-self-conscious when he'son the football field.

You can't blame him though; Ross never did like the kids, and that might be the type of person he is, period. But hopefully he can overcome any fears of a repeat occurrence of such an incident, and really back himself in to become the best he can be.

Would be nice if he played with this sort of confidence again.

Doesn't look like much, but the fact that he took a bounce while running in is huge because he simply refused to have a run and bounce at the start of the season. The frustrating thing is he was getting there right before he did his hammy. Once he puts together 10-15 games in a row I think we'll see something special.

A couple of St Kilda references - spot the quality journalism!

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/14768798/spirited-demon-top-of-pack/

Bali belly cost Perth midfielder Dean Kent a place in the WA under-18 squad, but a dominant season saw him rewarded last night with the Jack Clarke Medal for the best and fairest in the WAFL colts.

Fremantle forward Kepler Bradley and St Kilda midfielder Tom Ledger won the Jack Clarke Medal before being drafted.

Former Geelong, St Kilda and West Coast players Matthew Spencer, Ryan Brabazon and Adam Cockie are also previous winners.

voting: *Dean Kent (Perth) 37, Aidan Lynch (West Perth) 32, Brendan Verrier (South Fremantle) 30, Benjamin Taylor (Claremont) 27, Corey Morris (Peel) 27, Matthew Jupp (East Fremantle) 25, Alex Howson (East Fremantle) 25, Shaquille McKenzie (East Perth) 25.

Just the updated list of Free Agents which included Kosi and Gram.

I was under the impression they both had 'player options' for next year.

Who knows. Maybe it hasn't officially been 'activated' yet? The club keeps contradicting itself, Watters said Kosi is contracted for next year, but then the website releases a story saying he's uncontracted.

Who knows. Maybe it hasn't officially been 'activated' yet? The club keeps contradicting itself, Watters said Kosi is contracted for next year, but then the website releases a story saying he's uncontracted.

noone knows not just the football club but also kosi's manager!

Final Membership Tally

MembershipTable.jpg

Obviously losing that many isn't great, but interesting to see that every team that switched coaches, except Collingwood, had a dip in members.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought this snippet was interesting in the context of current events.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6038/newsid/147097/default.aspx

(Darryl) Wakelin knows first hand how much the signing of a star player can lift a side.

He spoke of the relief he felt at the beginning of his AFL career with St Kilda when superstar Saint Stewart Loewe ignored a significant offer to join Fremantle.

The 261-gamer said that with better support and management St Kilda could have made more of its strong list, but the club still won the Ansett Cup in 1996, reached the Grand Final in '97 and made the finals in '98.

"Just before I came over (to St Kilda), Stewart Loewe had a lot of interest from Fremantle and there was a fair chance he was going to be leaving.

"That was '94, so they made a big play for him then and an even bigger play for him at the end of their first season in '95 … I just remember at the time it being such a relief that we were going to keep one of our star players.

"That genuinely gave a young kid like me a lot of confidence."

Not St Kilda related, but certainly general interest given the tragic nature.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/au...ent-in-las-vegas/story-e6frf7jo-1226470914423

A Port Adelaide footballer (John McCarthy) has died in an incident in Las Vegas.

"A group from the Port Adelaide playing group left Adelaide on Saturday for a holiday. The club is in contact with members of the travelling group and is working with U.S. authorities while investigations continue."

I missed this article the first time around.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/goddard-offered-contract-20120824-24s2b.html

Justin Koschitzke will have scans on his shoulder and hip to determine whether he'll be booked in for season-ending surgery or play the last game. Watters said Koschitzke's season had suffered from having to spend significant stints in the ruck because of injuries to other talls.

''People underestimate the impact that has on a player who really shouldn't be rucking at all. But he has had some patches where his form also hasn't been up to standard, so he needs to challenge to hold his place in the side again next year, as all players do.''​
Alot has changed in less than 12 months!
December 2011
"He is really healthy and his leadership with the young players has shone through in the past couple of weeks,'' Watters said.
"He is a quality forward with ruck capabilities and he can play back. He will play in all these positions depending on circumstances.
"We want to challenge him with different roles."
March 2012
Scott Watters said Koschitzke ... was likely to undertake a similar role to what he played last season. "It's probably not going to change too dramatically. Forward, pinch hit in the ruck … we want to use his mobility around the ground from a ruck perspective,"
May 2012

"We've got Kosi and Jason. Outside of that, realistically, we don't have anyone else (to ruck) on the list," Watters said.

After the departure of Michael Gardiner, Watters knew the club was light on, but it was not in a position to add another mature-age ruckman to the list.

"Coming in and looking at our list, probably my main concern was if McEvoy went down."

Ithink your right squizzy, alot has changed in 12 months. Watters now knows what Kosi can and cannot do. which i think now he is saying "so he needs to challenge to hold his place in the side again next year, as all players do." becuase probably next year if we get the right personel coming into the team, he won't be gifted a game as easily as he was.

Maybe Watters was dissapointed when he played a half and had no impact at all on the scorebord.

Wasn't sure where to put this, but i figured some may be interested in the 9Fifty caps.

950_af_stksai_team_copy.png

5950_2_tone_stksai_copy.png

http://www.bennyherberts.com/

Good try, but there's just something about AFL merchandise that will always be lame.

Oh and Eric Bana is on EMT TOMMOROW night at whatever time it's on, 8:30?

I missed this article the first time around.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/goddard-offered-contract-20120824-24s2b.html

Justin Koschitzke will have scans on his shoulder and hip to determine whether he'll be booked in for season-ending surgery or play the last game. Watters said Koschitzke's season had suffered from having to spend significant stints in the ruck because of injuries to other talls.

''People underestimate the impact that has on a player who really shouldn't be rucking at all. But he has had some patches where his form also hasn't been up to standard, so he needs to challenge to hold his place in the side again next year, as all players do.''

Alot has changed in less than 12 months!

December 2011

"He is really healthy and his leadership with the young players has shone through in the past couple of weeks,'' Watters said.

"He is a quality forward with ruck capabilities and he can play back. He will play in all these positions depending on circumstances.

"We want to challenge him with different roles."

March 2012

Scott Watters said Koschitzke ... was likely to undertake a similar role to what he played last season. "It's probably not going to change too dramatically. Forward, pinch hit in the ruck … we want to use his mobility around the ground from a ruck perspective,"

May 2012

"We've got Kosi and Jason. Outside of that, realistically, we don't have anyone else (to ruck) on the list," Watters said.

After the departure of Michael Gardiner, Watters knew the club was light on, but it was not in a position to add another mature-age ruckman to the list.

"Coming in and looking at our list, probably my main concern was if McEvoy went down."

thats the problem with kozi. its the same story, year in, year out. the excuses are always there.

got a feeling scotty will let him play out his contract next year and then given him his retirement game. handled it as best as can, scott has.

Some good stuff from the club.

http://everyaustraliancounts.com.au/saints_come_marching_in_for_the_ndis/

The Every Australian Counts campaign is pleased to announce that the St Kilda Football Club have lent their support to the campaign for the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).

The Saints are very active in their community and support a number of not for profit organisations including the Focus on Taste Cafe in Frankston which provides employment and training opportunities for about 20 people with disabilities.

Saints’ young guns Sam Dunell and Jack Newnes recently visited Focus on Taste and hit the kitchen to make their famous St Kilda Slice.

Check out the video produced by St Kilda FC about the visit to Focus on Taste here: http://www.saints.com.au/video audio/tabid/8662/contentid/475568/default.aspx

As an avid St Kilda supporter and member of many years, Focus on Taste trainee Carrie said the cafe was excited to show the Saints players just what goes into making the famous St Kilda slice.

“I think their cooking skills were really good, I enjoyed having them here. I hope more Saints players can come through again,” she said.

After kicking the winning goal after the siren for the Saints in 2001 against Hawthorn, I hope I'm not the only one who finds amusement in Barry Hall missing one after the siren in a Hawthorn jumper.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/barry-hall/story-e6frf9jf-1226471858029

842328-barry-hall.jpg

Barry Hall has gone from hero to villain for the Wangaratta Rovers.

And in a dramatic twist, the man who benefitted most from Hall's missed shot at glory is former AFL rival Brendan Fevola.

Fev was at the opposite end of the field playing full-forward for the Yarrawonga Pigeons, who stormed home from seven goals behind to snatch the lead in the dying minutes in the Ovens and Murray league second semi-final.

Hall had the chance to restore order but from 20m out, straight in front, he missed, allowing the Pigeons to clinch the first spot in the grand final.

You could tell he didn't want to take the shot.

He put the ball on the ground before the siren sounded to make the umpire call time off & then rushed the shot as soon as the siren went.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/147536/default.aspx

ctlGalleryLibrary

mockup_AFLCtlGalleryLibraryForNews.png

Saints kick on

By Luke Holmesby 6:00 AM Thu 13 Sep, 2012​

Lenny_Hayes10things316aa2.jpg

Lenny Hayes' return from a knee reconstruction was remarkable
TODAY'S HEADLINES

1. Scott Watters does things differently to Ross Lyon
LYON is still widely recognised as one of the most astute tacticians in the modern game, but his focus on defence ahead of attack had drawn some criticism from those hoping to see an entertaining spectacle. Watters, without placing any emphasis on the aesthetics of the game, has introduced a far more attacking style of game to the Saints. In 2011 they averaged 84 points for and 76 against. This year those numbers rose to 107 and 86.

2. Players with questionable foot skills aren't part of Watters' plans

Remove this Banner Ad

News 2012 Media Thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back