List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news they won't get a pick after their first, but still think they're nuts and should have let him go.

Gibbs’ management and Blues football boss Andrew McKay are understood to be tidying up the final sticking points in a contract probably worth about $500,000 a season, with $50,000 depending on other variables.

An announcement could be made within a fortnight.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/th...ire-board-bustup/story-e6frf7jo-1226913581317

Good news they won't get a pick after their first, but still think they're nuts and should have let him go.

Gibbs’ management and Blues football boss Andrew McKay are understood to be tidying up the final sticking points in a contract probably worth about $500,000 a season, with $50,000 depending on other variables.

An announcement could be made within a fortnight.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/th...ire-board-bustup/story-e6frf7jo-1226913581317

Now Melbourne need to keep showing improvement and resign Frawley.

Had a look at opposition players out of contract and who i'd like to see us target, (wishful thinking with some :p)

Jarryd Lyons (Crows), Matt Maguire (Joking obviously lol but 1 game would be handy if he has any sons), Ryan Lester (Lions), Troy Menzel :cool:, Nick Graham (Both Blues), Tim Broomhead, Ben Kennedy, Kyle Martin (All Pies), Nathan Fyfe :D, Jon O'Rourke, Kristian Jaksch (Both Giants), Harley Bennell, Steven May, Brandon Matera (All Suns), Jordan Murdoch, Allan Christensen, Shane Kersten (All Cats), James Frawley, Sam Blease anyone? (Both Demons), Ryan Bastinac (Norf), Ben Griffiths (Tiges), Tim Membrey, Tom Mitchell (Both Swans), Andrew Gaff (WCE), Clay Smith (WB).

So overall #1 targets Fyfe, JOR, Jaksch and Bennell. :p:D
Love it, I'm a big fan of Murdoch i think he's the type of player we want Markwoth and his brother to become.
I'd also like to try and raid Sydney's list over the next couple of years starting with Mitchell this year and then Parker, they've smashed us over the last 15 years with Lockett, Hall, heck they even threw a 5 year deal at Kosi and we can't forget Tommy Welsh that really hurto_O.
Like the GWS boys too but they have the competition by the balls, each year they'll hold clubs to ransom and make them pay overs for kids that have hardly played a game and keep topping up with first round picks. All of Jaksch, O'Rourke and Plowman are worth nothing more than a mid second round pick each at best.
Allan Christensen 22, 57 games, 50 goals fits the profile of what we need would be very handy on the half forward line rotating through the guts.

Going to throw up another left field option - Mark Whiley (GWS)

187cms
86kgs

Played as a tagger in their AFL side to finish last year but has been released in the NEAFL to great effect. Ave 27 touches, 8.5 marks and 4 tackles playing on ball. I've only seen highlights but he is a bull and looks alot like a Jack Redden type. More of an inside mid but can provide a link option when needed.

People will bring up Ross and Murdoch but Murdoch seems to be a long way back and people have been putting Ross' name up as a possible trade option. If Essendon came calling with their first pick (End of first round - About pick 20) it would have to be tempting to Pelchen given the depth of talls...

People will bring up Ross and Murdoch but Murdoch seems to be a long way back and people have been putting Ross' name up as a possible trade option. If Essendon came calling with their first pick (End of first round - About pick 20) it would have to be tempting to Pelchen given the depth of talls...

You're assuming the club we know as Essendon will even exist at the end of this season let alone have any draft picks to offer any one ;):rolleyes:

Yeah, I got word from a family member who goes to school with him and has watched him play for a few years, reckons he's a gun and a great bloke, also has been captain of pretty much every team he's been in. Could be another Dunstan-esque situation except no one is pumping him up yet. Hopefully a pick in the 30's or 40's :thumbsu:

Rahul - one of our boys was talking up Urban on the Draft board (Hayes4PM ?)...How's he going and how would he fit in our lineup if he was taken 3rd round (40-ish)?
At this point in time I think it's unlikely that Alex Urban will last until the 3rd round. He's seriously started to pick it up for the Chargers, and is starting to play some nice outside, receiving football, to go on top of his terrific work in the engine room.

He would fit right into our line-up, in the position of Clint Jones or as we start to phase out Farren Ray, he'd probably be there. In terms of our 2nd round pick, I'd be after one of the smaller guys. Touk Miller is a gun, who could slip due to his height.

TBH, that's gonna come back and bite them IMO. They're stockpiling a 'commodity' in the hope of selling later, but they're forgetting that they're actually dealing with people. As the club starts on its upward trajectory, their main bargaining chip (ie "we can select them in the preseason draft before you") doesn't apply anymore, and the players will go to any team, as long as they can actually get a game.

Moreover, as the players have no reason to like GWS, because they've spent all their time playing in the seconds behind 2 number one draft picks and probably the best young key forward in a long time, they can give them the finger on the way out by nominating a club, making sure no other clubs start a bidding war (unless of course it's a number 1 or 2 draft pick eg Wright, and even then, they're gonna get a pick worse than the one they picked him with).

TL;DR they walk, GWS gets nothing/less than they would, and another club gets a key forward with a couple of years development for cheaper than they would have had originally

To be fair though, what else can they do? They were given a massive number of picks to begin with, to kick-start them. They were terrible for 2 years with those kids, giving them even more high picks. It's not their fault that almost everyone on their list is a top 15 pick, half of them probably top 7 - those are the picks they had. They were pretty desperate to exchange them for mature talent but hardly anyone would deal.
The AFL ought to have found a way to give them less picks and help them get more mature recruits quicker - that way they'd have been more competitive earlier and it wouldn't have skewed the draft so much for 3 years.

Unless/untill the AFL allows clubs to trade for draft picks in future seasons (e.g. 1st round this yr for a 1st and 3rd next year) then GWS have to keep picking the best available at their pick, unless they get a great deal that includes a contributing player. They just managed to turn Dom Tyson and a pick into Josh Kelly for example. They can continue to upgrade their selections by using their depth. The players still pretty much need to be traded, and yes some of them will go for picks in the 40s but those around the cusp of the best 22 will likely demand 1st round picks, or an upgrade of their 1st rounder to the top 5.
Wonder... with that in mind, if we had pick 2 and GWS had pick 4... and they were a huge wrap for Brayshaw... would we trade back to 4 knowing we'd still get either McCartin, Durdin or Goddard?
Is that the way we get another GWS player onto the books - pick 2 and pick 41 for pick 5 and Jon O'Rourke?

Half time in the WCE v GWS game and Adam Tomlinson has 7 marks (2 contested, 2 inside the F50), 11 disposals (at 90% efficiency, with 5 contested) and 1 goal, 1 behind. If played across HB (for any team) he could have a Sam Fisher type career, I reckon, if he doesn't have a really good one up forward. Seemed ridiculous that he wasn't in their team at the start of the year.

If he keeps playing like that though, isn't they likely to keep him and him be more likely to want to stay?

Or are they just giving him a few games to get him in the shop window?

Forget Brayshaw.

We need forward options stat! Too much is left to Riewoldt and we just keep giving him the ball.

Who is Hawthorns forward line coach? Pay whatever it takes to poach him to show our guys there are other ****ing options!!!!!

To be fair though, what else can they do? They were given a massive number of picks to begin with, to kick-start them. They were terrible for 2 years with those kids, giving them even more high picks. It's not their fault that almost everyone on their list is a top 15 pick, half of them probably top 7 - those are the picks they had. They were pretty desperate to exchange them for mature talent but hardly anyone would deal.
The AFL ought to have found a way to give them less picks and help them get more mature recruits quicker - that way they'd have been more competitive earlier and it wouldn't have skewed the draft so much for 3 years.

Unless/untill the AFL allows clubs to trade for draft picks in future seasons (e.g. 1st round this yr for a 1st and 3rd next year) then GWS have to keep picking the best available at their pick, unless they get a great deal that includes a contributing player. They just managed to turn Dom Tyson and a pick into Josh Kelly for example. They can continue to upgrade their selections by using their depth. The players still pretty much need to be traded, and yes some of them will go for picks in the 40s but those around the cusp of the best 22 will likely demand 1st round picks, or an upgrade of their 1st rounder to the top 5.
Wonder... with that in mind, if we had pick 2 and GWS had pick 4... and they were a huge wrap for Brayshaw... would we trade back to 4 knowing we'd still get either McCartin, Durdin or Goddard?
Is that the way we get another GWS player onto the books - pick 2 and pick 41 for pick 5 and Jon O'Rourke?

They could have done what the AFL intended for them to do, trade half of them out for established players, thus making them not shit for their first few years. Being able to access such high end talent would automatically mean that there's not gonna be much turnover, so they keep their top 3 or so picks, but then they can trade decent but not amazing picks for what are essentially high end stop-gap players, front end their contracts, and not get smashed every week, which seems to be an underrated concept.

They clearly weren't desperate for mature age talent, otherwise they would have actually traded, instead of just trying to lure people with money. Of course they went for people, but they went for stars, instead of the level below, which of course other clubs are gonna shut down. There were also plenty of mature age players running around in state leagues; if they actually spent time looking for other avenues of talent than the draft, they would have found them. Also, as far as I remember, this is exactly what they said they were gonna do, just get kids and build, instead of getting mature agers.

And I'd like to point out that they're not necessarily getting the best available, they're getting KPPs, which they believe will have value later, so they can trade them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still staggered the AFL let them violate the purpose of the mini draft. Even stated in the original purpose was those picks were meant to be traded for mature players

LOL gws were too concerned with trying to absolutely bend everyone over the barrel with their picks. Didn't happen, so they got overs in terms of draft picks, and are now just in the midst of a massive stockpile, so if they play their cards right, they should have a 10 year premiership window. Massive short term pain, but the potential upside and long term gain is absolutely gargantuan.

Would rather keep Murdoch than Ross if the choice is between those two.

I know it's only Ross' 3rd year, but my opinion has swung. Don't think he has the physical attributes to make it. Doesn't have the balance and awareness of Pendlebury. Doesn't have the long limbs of his cousin. Doesn't have the low centre of gravity of other "slow paced" players like Mitchell, Hayes or even Armo.

Happy to be proven wrong. Murdoch could yet make it IMO. But what do I know. Richo knows what he's doing.

Murdoch certainly has a lot more going for him as far as physical attributes go (he's a very similar size and build, but is faster, more athletic and has a bigger tank). He's also a lot more versatile, his kicking is far better and longer and his overhead marking is much stronger. He's got some real weapons. Just needs to probably settle into one position and start finding more of the ball.

Last edited:
They could have done what the AFL intended for them to do, trade half of them out for established players, thus making them not shit for their first few years.

If that's the case then the AFL should have given them 6 mini-draft picks and only let them keep 1 for themselves each year - forcing them to trade out 5 of the top 6 picks for two seasons. And make them exchange them for players with more than 5 years experience, and with no draft picks in the first round to be involved. That would mean they couldn't use those mini-draft picks to get into the 1st round of the real draft.
However I think teams would still have been reluctant to deal with them.

Teams wouldn't deal with the Giants because nobody wanted to give up good players. Dogs weren't happy about losing Callan Ward, and the Dees went apoplectic about Scully (and take great delight in him not being better than Buddy and Ablett combined). Teams would only give up their dregs - like us for example, we'd have only probably offered Armitage, Dal or McEvoy for a top 5 pick.

And I'd like to point out that they're not necessarily getting the best available, they're getting KPPs, which they believe will have value later, so they can trade them

I think it's difficult to argue that they're not taking the best available and only looking at KPPs. Boyd was clearly the best available last year. They also however identified Kelly so traded to get him.

The one issue I have with their policy is that they are still focusing on the draft, by for example going for Kelly and not instead aiming for a current mature player. But again, nobody is going to send them a Nat Fyfe or Jack Steven when they're under contract...

LOL gws were too concerned with trying to absolutely bend everyone over the barrel with their picks. Didn't happen, so they got overs in terms of draft picks, and are now just in the midst of a massive stockpile, so if they play their cards right, they should have a 10 year premiership window. Massive short term pain, but the potential upside and long term gain is absolutely gargantuan.

Things will even out a little when the boys start getting a bit older and want a good contract. Their is no way they could fit that whole list inside the salary cap in 5 years time, which means they'll have to let a few go. Their are 4 or 5 players that will be worth 800k in that time and their is usually on room for 1 or 2 of those on your list.

Things will even out a little when the boys start getting a bit older and want a good contract. Their is no way they could fit that whole list inside the salary cap in 5 years time, which means they'll have to let a few go. Their are 4 or 5 players that will be worth 800k in that time and their is usually on room for 1 or 2 of those on your list.

Still expect a few of them to remain on less coin to win a few premierships together before they leave for the big bucks.

Still expect a few of them to remain on less coin to win a few premierships together before they leave for the big bucks.
The Top-liners may stay together, but for a Jaksch-type, who is 4th or 5th in line for a senior spot, it may be too good an option to move...He was still pick 12!! Even their lesser-lights outside of top 25 are 1st/2nd rounders.

i came up with....

Trade Armo & 58 to Richmond for Pick 25 & 42

1. Wright
21. Bampton
25. Maynard
40. Urban
42. McKenzie

Gives us 2 Key forwards - both slightly different. 3 quality mids. Upgrade Weller as cover for Armo. Upgrade Eli.

Currently 14th and i'd expect Richmond to jump above us soon, i think we're a lock for a bottom 4 pick. What bottom 4 pick i don't know.. Looking at our draw;

Suns (Etihad), Pies (Etihad), Port (Adelaide oval), Cats (Simonds Stadium), Eagles (Etihad), Tigers (Etihad), Blues (Etihad), North (Tasmania i think), Dockers (Etihad), Suns (Metricon), Dogs (Etihad), Swans (SCG), Tigers (MCG), Crows (Adelaide Oval)

^ Tough seeing many more wins from that, of course upsets come though.

Brisbane have Carlton, Giants, Eagles, Suns (Maybe not so much but..), Adelaide (Won the last few against Adelaide) all at the Gabba to come, winnable games for them. So while i hope we don't get the spoon it's still looking like a real possibility.

We finished 3rd last last year but didn't have a disgraceful year.

We could finish last or second last this year and it not be disgraceful.

Interesting. Or maybe my lens are rose tinted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back