List Mgmt. 2015 general list discussion and speculation - PLEASE START NEW THREAD ON BREAKING NEWS

How did you rate Geelong's trade and free agency period?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saw an article that said Stringer is in his last year of his contract. So I think he'll be gone.

Delisted: Stringer, Brown, Menzel.
Retired: Enright
Elevated: Blicavs.
Rookie listed: Menzel.
Trade Bait: Varcoe

That leaves three picks in the draft.

Yo do understand you can not just transfer someone from Main list to Rookie ? Delist anyone and they effectively become FA. So the Menzel thing is a no go.

other clubs would be asking when the did the afl start awarding Geelong COLA :D
Geelong do have COLA, no one has cottoned on.
3 bedroom house in Barwon Heads or one in Bondi?

Sure, different night life etc. But a guy at Geelong can buy 3 properties for 2.4k and someone in Sydney can buy 1.
The guys at Geelong would be making a lot of money from rent etc.

Does anyone know whether the new "saving up for next year" Cap Rules will help us with Dangerfield, ie do we or don't we currently spend 100% of our Salary Cap?

Can you explain the rule , I have read little to nothing on it. But can I assume , you bank the unused amount of cap? Can I assume there is a max amount of saving?

Geelong do have COLA, no one has cottoned on.
3 bedroom house in Barwon Heads or one in Bondi?

Sure, different night life etc. But a guy at Geelong can buy 3 properties for 2.4k and someone in Sydney can buy 1.
The guys at Geelong would be making a lot of money from rent etc.

If thats true ... 3 props for 2.4 <> 1 prop for 2.4 which as the greater long term capital gain? If industry keeps going the way it is I'm not Geelong CG will keep pace with Sydney.
I think it would require study to determine which is the better investment. For that matter what stops a player in Sydney buying in Geelong or visa versa. If the Sydney player has more money he buys more investment.

Can you explain the rule , I have read little to nothing on it. But can I assume , you bank the unused amount of cap? Can I assume there is a max amount of saving?

Yes, yes - 5%, max 2 years saving. The AFL makes it up for clubs that don't spend the cap because they haven't got it.
The stated rationale is 2-fold - to let clubs sort out any current backend/frontloading tangles, and to make the poorer clubs competitive in the FA market.
It means that everybody who wants Dangerfield will have the money (they all finished their spreadsheets 5 minutes after the AFL presentation ended), and that if his stated motive is potential success, our probably insuperable problem will be to convince him we'll be better over the next 5 years than, say, Hawthorn, Collingwood, North, or, ASADA permitting, Essendon.

If thats true ... 3 props for 2.4 <> 1 prop for 2.4 which as the greater long term capital gain? If industry keeps going the way it is I'm not Geelong CG will keep pace with Sydney.
I think it would require study to determine which is the better investment. For that matter what stops a player in Sydney buying in Geelong or visa versa. If the Sydney player has more money he buys more investment.
Absolutely. But the players aren't complaint about investment prices.
Anyone can invest anywhere.

But if you want to live somewhere / own it, it's a stack easier in Geelong.
If you get a 3 year, 300k contract at Geelong you can buy a house immediately, I'd suggest it would be a lot harder in Sydney.

Any Geelong player can buy a 300k property to live in and then invest.
Sydney players have a much bigger hurdle to jump before they invest.

But yes you're right. Figures would need to be done. And I'm not doing it :D

Yes, yes - 5%, max 2 years saving. The AFL makes it up for clubs that don't spend the cap because they haven't got it.
The stated rationale is 2-fold - to let clubs sort out any current backend/frontloading tangles, and to make the poorer clubs competitive in the FA market.
It means that everybody who wants Dangerfield will have the money (they all finished their spreadsheets 5 minutes after the AFL presentation ended), and that if his stated motive is potential success, our probably insuperable problem will be to convince him we'll be better over the next 5 years than, say, Hawthorn, Collingwood, North, or, ASADA permitting, Essendon.
But it has to be a rolling cap surely?

So if you spend like this;

9.5 mil
9.5 mil
11 mil.

Then your next 2 can only equate to 19 mil.

I haven't read up on it to be honest.

9.5 mil
9.5 mil
11 mil.

Don't know, but I would have thought you'd then be back to your standard 10 mil (if that's your cap), but that you could underspend and save again if you wanted to. I only read the newspaper accounts, so I refuse to be held to anything, they mainly concentrated on the "surprise" element, ie their spies at the AFL let them down. ;)

Don't know, but I would have thought you'd then be back to your standard 10 mil (if that's your cap), but that you could underspend and save again if you wanted to. I only read the newspaper accounts, so I refuse to be held to anything, they mainly concentrated on the "surprise" element, ie their spies at the AFL let them down. ;)
ha ha.

My only theory was it's not like the North Melbourne 10 year rule.
It has to be ongoing.

The only way I could see it being useful to poach is like this.

"Danger, we can pay you 600k per year. But we'll pay you 600k year one, 1.6mil year 2, then 600k for the next 3 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

9.5 mil
9.5 mil
11 mil.

Not quite grasping your point VC.
The way I assume it would work is

2015 SC 10M , Max saving 5% = .5M
2016 SC 11M , Max saving 5% = .55M
2017 SC 12M , Max saving 5% = .6M , max additional cap 1.05M ( so one would have a cap of 13.05M for one year)

I'm not sure about this figures mate.
But what happens in 2018, 2019?

Surely it has to balance with 2017

I'm not sure about this figures mate.
But what happens in 2018, 2019?

Surely it has to balance with 2017

No, I really think once you've used your 2 years' savings, you drop back to your normal cap, or to start saving again if you wish.
Aah, I see what you mean. Well, yeah, it's rolling in the sense that if you don't take advantage of Year 1 savings in Years 2 or 3, then you lose 'em, and are limited in Year 4 to your Years 2 and 3 savings. If that's what you mean?

I am sure he is just testing the waters. Or more likely knows sure as shit Hawks have a spare million floating around and that they want him bad.
If Hawthorn has the nous to get Frawley, good luck to them- they make things happen- have need/ identify solution/ score . Other teams can envy them, but it really means things are possible if properly managed.

Yeah I do understand, but thanks for the patronising comment.
Might help if you got rid of your driver; very annoying, but you must feel that way about myTV avatar at times, so I'll leave that alone.

Last edited:
I really don't understand what this troll means. :eek:
Sorry Blakey, love your posts, not trolling, just commenting on your avatar/picture. As you no doubt watched that programme, I hope that makes sense.

OK ,sorry, I don't wish to be patronising , how are we to get him on our Rookie list.
Exactly how is the question. There has to be a way, Essendon did something like that with Ramanauskas, iirc. There has to be a leniency rule for a player like Menzel. Come on Geelong, find the way and make it happen. It is the only fair solution.

They won't bother. He stays on the full list.

Exactly how is the question. There has to be a way, Essendon did something like that with Ramanauskas, iirc. There has to be a leniency rule for a player like Menzel. Come on Geelong, find the way and make it happen. It is the only fair solution.

They did what we did for Lonergan I believe which was delist him and redraft him. The other clubs looked up on this in a compassionate way and left him alone. Since then the FA has kicked in. If we delist Menzel , I have no doubt his brother will say , come and give the Blues a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back