2016 Trade/FA discussion (no hypothetical trades)

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of the suggestions on here are to me a bit like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.We should get so and so because they are cheap.They are not going to lift us out of our current morass.We should target either A Graders or first round draft picks that GWS do not want.Along with our Academy kids that might get us up the ladder.
Many people will say that A Graders will not come to Brisbane.If that is the case we are doomed.It seems to me that if we take that mindset on we are doomed.If we don't think the club is good enough to attract decent players then why should they come.
We should adopt an aggressive posture as a first step to becoming a destination club.Its better to go down swinging than to fade into oblivion.
I had years and years of Fitzroy recruiting players that other clubs didn,t want.It just made for a slower death.

A lot of the suggestions on here are to me a bit like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.We should get so and so because they are cheap.They are not going to lift us out of our current morass.We should target either A Graders or first round draft picks that GWS do not want.Along with our Academy kids that might get us up the ladder.
Many people will say that A Graders will not come to Brisbane.If that is the case we are doomed.It seems to me that if we take that mindset on we are doomed.If we don't think the club is good enough to attract decent players then why should they come.
We should adopt an aggressive posture as a first step to becoming a destination club.Its better to go down swinging than to fade into oblivion.
I had years and years of Fitzroy recruiting players that other clubs didn,t want.It just made for a slower death.

I don't think our club ignores A graders, they just spread the net far and wide and see who can trap.

I don't think our club ignores A graders, they just spread the net far and wide and see who can trap.
I understand that.I just don't think we can afford to recruit anymore limited footballers.We have enough already.We dont need guys to make up the numbers we need top 10 guys.Casting the net far and wide is not a stragegy that will get us moving, it might stop us getting worse but that still means 17th or 18th.There just seems to be an acceptance that stars wont come to Brisbane so we recruit the "steak knives" instead.Its a Fitzroy strategy and that only goes one way.

S
I understand that.I just don't think we can afford to recruit anymore limited footballers.We have enough already.We dont need guys to make up the numbers we need top 10 guys.Casting the net far and wide is not a stragegy that will get us moving, it might stop us getting worse but that still means 17th or 18th.There just seems to be an acceptance that stars wont come to Brisbane so we recruit the "steak knives" instead.Its a Fitzroy strategy and that only goes one way.

Are you saying we should look to the draft or only target A Graders?

Couple of options that could come cheap or for nothing

Spangher
Tipungwutti
Dea
Aidan Corr
Silvaghni
Joel Tippett
Tape
Sam Shaw
No chance Tipingwuti would come cheap/for nothing. Has performed white well for the Bombers coming off their rookie list and I believe will soon sign a contract extension with them and is a very good chance of being upgraded to their senior list for next year. Considering he spent several years in the Bombers VFL team before finally getting his chance in the big time I doubt he'd want to leave either. Would probably accept less money to remain loyal to Essendon rather than leave and join another club.

Yea would be a handy get. Corr I doubt GWS would want him to go and if so we'd have to cough up something at least semi decent for him. Mohr is a more likely option if we are looking for a cheaper get.

Spangler, Silvaghni or Tippett could be decent options just as mature, bigger bodied options.

It is a no from me in regards to Tape and Sam Shaw. Don't really rate them.

I am saying players brought in from other clubs should only be top notch, players in demand.Two or three top notch players plus Academy kids could make a huge difference.We have had a couple fall into our lap in the
last year or two and now need a couple more . I want to see us recruit guys we can get excited about.With all due respect to some of the names mentioned they have zero interest to me.
I have seen creeping mediocrity and I know what it looks like.
I understand we are not at a Fitzroy level yet but the warning signs are there.

After hearing Leuy (our old ruckmen, not the short guy who dodgers a contest) talk about the differences between Essendon and the Lions this morning on Sen, great interview by the way, hearing him speak it's no wonder we loose/can't attract players.

After hearing Leuy (our old ruckmen, not the short guy who dodgers a contest) talk about the differences between Essendon and the Lions this morning on Sen, great interview by the way, hearing him speak it's no wonder we loose/can't attract players.

What did he say? I didn't get a chance to hear it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He mainly talked about the stark contrast in facilities between the Lions and Bombers and how much better the Bombers facilities are.
I still think its a state of mind.We have convinced ourselves and the football community at large that we are not a great place to be or to go to.Its a self fulfilling prophecy and even if we had state of the art facilities we would still be making reasons up why people do not want to come.
Simply put we are not given off the vibe of success.This can be turned around .
I know its a million years ago but in the late 60s early 70s Richmond were incredibly successful and their facilities were disgusting.No-one cared .Everyone wanted to play for Richmond and Tom Hafey.It was only after Richmond got into a war with Collingwood that the place tanked.
If we keep saying that no one will want to come here, we are beaten before we start and may as well fold the tents.
Getting the Lamberts back has been an enormous gain but we need to keep changing the mindset.Harping on the point aside from the draft we need to only go after successful and superior footballers who can markedly improve the team.
We do have difficulties in attracting top talent but they are not insurmountable.

I agree. We need A grade midfielders - either via draft or trade. We also need a big quality defender.

I am saying players brought in from other clubs should only be top notch, players in demand.Two or three top notch players plus Academy kids could make a huge difference.We have had a couple fall into our lap in the
last year or two and now need a couple more . I want to see us recruit guys we can get excited about.With all due respect to some of the names mentioned they have zero interest to me.
I have seen creeping mediocrity and I know what it looks like.
I understand we are not at a Fitzroy level yet but the warning signs are there.

By that theory, we wouldn't have picked up Martin or Robinson.

A few points I'd like to comment on.

In regards to the Lions ability to attract A Grade talent. Very, very few rock bottom teams can successfully recruit top tier, in their prime talent. Regardless where the club is located. You need to have the right players on the field to attract such talent. Either you need to be a winning now team, or a team loaded with young talent about to take that step.

Currently Brisbane is not a top four team or stacked with young talent ready to explode.

When is the right time to target A Graders? Any time they are available, as long as their recruitment doesn't disrupt the teams current and future out look. Usually they are recruited to fill a need, unless they are a genuine superstar of the game looking for a move, a la Buddy Franklin, in which case if you can add them, you move heaven and earth to add them.

Now Brisbane may have to take a long term approach to rebuilding. It's not ideal, and fans who have suffered through the last 11 or 12 years may not like the idea. The most realistic approach may be to recruit a couple of 27 - 28 year old quality players each year, signed to three year contracts to mentor our developing young players.

Realistically, we probably won't see significant improvement on the field until our kids drafted between 2015 and 2017 starting hitting their prime. This then would be the time to use some significant cap room to recruit genuine A Grade talent from around the league. Hopefully we will be a much more attractive destination then as we will have the makings of a finals contender.

Many may disagree or say they are too injury probe but Mitch brown and/or Nathan brown?
Both look to be slightly out of favour however hard to say with injury . Both currently 27 years old and if money isn't thrown at Hurley which it should then there is still very much a void in experienced talls in the backline with Merrett finishing up.

Many may disagree or say they are too injury probe but Mitch brown and/or Nathan brown?
Both look to be slightly out of favour however hard to say with injury . Both currently 27 years old and if money isn't thrown at Hurley which it should then there is still very much a void in experienced talls in the backline with Merrett finishing up.
Probably OK options if hurley is not gettable. Still not the types of players that will take us to our next flag. Hurley will help heaps in that regard.

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 Trade/FA discussion (no hypothetical trades)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back