List Mgmt. 2017 Draft Discussion (cont in Pt 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
agree with you on the picks

the strategy and the whole reason for trading out of last years draft was to bring in ready made elite midfield talent

if we still have the picks then somethings gone wrong

having said that a stephenson/naughton plus a liam ryan and one other would have me pretty damn happy with the outcome
But if our targeted trade players are not available then I hope we don't panic and swap top 10 picks for 2nd tier players or downgrade the picks to 2nd round. Top 10 picks give a very good chance for an A grade player in 2 to 3 years, and we really need A grade players in the best 22. Remember that we have to draft at least 3 (?) players anyway, and would much rather have them from the 1st round than the 3rd and later rounds.

But if our targeted trade players are not available then I hope we don't panic and swap top 10 picks for 2nd tier players or downgrade the picks to 2nd round. Top 10 picks give a very good chance for an A grade player in 2 to 3 years, and we really need A grade players in the best 22. Remember that we have to draft at least 3 (?) players anyway, and would much rather have them from the 1st round than the 3rd and later rounds.

I'd hope that the list management crew are at least "semi-professional" and have been maintaining a list of potential trades of value to the club and their value. Paying overs for bit players should not be on the agenda at all.

Looks like there's some consensus from Brett Anderson's latest Phantom and Bishop's latest one today. If we don't use #7 and #8 on a gun trade, and the top 4 mids are gone early (Rayner, LDU, Dow and Cerra), both those guys have us taking Stephenson and Coffield.

The alternative for one of those picks could be a tall defender like Brander or Naughton (if either is still there).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guys,

Rayner's beep test was not 13. It was 11.1.

Dusty was miles ahead of Rayner at the same age in terms of endurance.
While that's certainly not ideal, we also need to remember that the beep test has been dumped from combine testing for one very good reason, and that's because it's not considered relevant enough to the way AFL footy is played, so I'm not sure it's wise to be getting all hung up about a test that is being dumped for its irrelevancy.

At the end of the day, what matters the most is what they produce out on a football field and Rayner has been getting the job done to a very high level there, at the highest level, hence being consistently talked up as a very good chance to go no.1.

This was posted by someone on the D&T board the other day who has had a good rep for his draft knowledge on there for years:

For all the shit Rayner cops vs Martin in the endurance stakes.

He has kicked a hell of a lot more goals than Martin at TAC Cup level and Nationals level and averaged about the same amount of touches.

Good athletic testing is great and all, but at the end of the day it's what they do out on a football field that matters far more.

Just ask the likes of Sam Mitchell, who has both poor endurance and poor speed.

Last edited:
Fair enough, I've seen him live at tac cup games this year and I've followed tac for a few years and he looks a special talent
Agree. I've been following the drafts since about 1995 and in my experience Rayner is just about everything that clubs look for from a football attributes/skills/talent POV, but with the one athletic weakness that could hold him back at the next level, if not improved.

If it wasn't for that endurance question mark and he interviewed well and so-on, I fully expect he'd be a consensus to go no.1 this year, no dramas at all, and would be the type who could easily go at no.1 in many/most years.

I mean look at his list of attributes:

Terrific size/shape
Speed
Power
Explosiveness
Contested "beast"
Kicks plenty of goals
Booming kick
Dual-sided
Excellent leap
Very strong mark
Versatility
Naturally physically aggressive
Ferocious tackling
Performs in big games

Those who win a very high number of contested possessions who also have the ability to consistently hit the scoreboard are valued extremely highly at AFL level and when you add in things like speed, size, marking and tackling to the mix, they become even more so.

Rayner is also the type who importantly will put bums on seats and that is something that we, if we keep the picks, could very much do with.

Someone exciting, strong and aggressive, who can grab games by the scruff of the neck and really get the crowd involved and behind the team would certainly not go astray.

Last edited:
While that's certainly not ideal, we also need to remember that the beep test has been dumped from combine testing for one very good reason, and that's because it's not considered relevant enough to the way AFL footy is played
Yes, it's certainly hard to see the relevance

QPA28P5bxqyymng1G-dfCkCvrOaNZVrdrdazEpzusEY8ITavcKI7s7zKkiKDdS7e20WzPmX2lhO5Ksf2bDzynC_6GtIVjVhrF4y7XVo=w295-h221-nc

I like the look of him and he suits our needs, but I think there are better players at 7 or 8.

If we are really keen on him we could probably downgrade one of our picks and still get him.
If we did 1,19 we could get him there at pick 19, Rayner and obrien would be a terrific haul. I still think obrien will flourish at afl level, he's had a bit of a down year but he's an out and out gun

Ainswoerth was very very good today playing reserves against men

Kicked two snags. Set up a couple.

Very underrated inside mid. Probably not what we need but a club out there will get a bargain in him
Maybe not the answer for us but nevertheless an Answerth. ;)

Wouldn't surprise me if he went top 3 in the Sandy B&F.

Pick 1. Cameron Rayner , 187cm , Western Jets. Pick 2. Paddy Dow , 184cm , Bendigo Pioneers. Pick 3. Luke Davies Uniacke , 187cm , Dandenong Stingrays. Pick 4. Adam Cerra , 186cm , Eastern Ranges. Pick 5. Jaidyn Stephenson , 189cm , Eastern Ranges. Pick 6. Darcy Fogarty , 192cm , Glenelg (SA) Pick 7. Aaron Naughton , 194cm , Peel Thunder(WA) St.Kilda bids on Patrick Naish. Richmond match the bid. Pick 8. Patrick Naish , 183cm , Northern Knights. Pick 9. Jarrod Brander , 194cm , Bendigo Pioneers. Pick 10. Nick Coffield , 190cm , Northern Knights. Near misses were Jack Higgins , 178cm , Oakleigh Chargers. Connor Ballenden , 199cm , Wests (QLD). Sam Hayes , 203cm , Eastern Ranges. Ryley Stoddart , 183cm , Eastern Ranges. Callum Coleman-Jones , 201cm , Sturt (SA). Just thought I'd throw one out there. It's just opinion , it won't be spot on. I do have us bidding on Naish , I rate him...so what. If you feel like ripping it to shreds , well take your ******** rrs elsewhere.

Pick 1. Cameron Rayner , 187cm , Western Jets. Pick 2. Paddy Dow , 184cm , Bendigo Pioneers. Pick 3. Luke Davies Uniacke , 187cm , Dandenong Stingrays. Pick 4. Adam Cerra , 186cm , Eastern Ranges. Pick 5. Jaidyn Stephenson , 189cm , Eastern Ranges. Pick 6. Darcy Fogarty , 192cm , Glenelg (SA) Pick 7. Aaron Naughton , 194cm , Peel Thunder(WA) St.Kilda bids on Patrick Naish. Richmond match the bid. Pick 8. Patrick Naish , 183cm , Northern Knights. Pick 9. Jarrod Brander , 194cm , Bendigo Pioneers. Pick 10. Nick Coffield , 190cm , Northern Knights. Near misses were Jack Higgins , 178cm , Oakleigh Chargers. Connor Ballenden , 199cm , Wests (QLD). Sam Hayes , 203cm , Eastern Ranges. Ryley Stoddart , 183cm , Eastern Ranges. Callum Coleman-Jones , 201cm , Sturt (SA). Just thought I'd throw one out there. It's just opinion , it won't be spot on. I do have us bidding on Naish , I rate him...so what. If you feel like ripping it to shreds , well take your ******** rrs elsewhere.

Brander & Naughton? I'd be happy with one of them & use the other first rounder on a mid such as Coffield or Hunter Clarke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back