List Mgmt. 2017 Draft Discussion (cont in Pt 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whilst Andrew Brayshaw would be one player we'd be looking at this year, being touted as a first-round midfielder, his brother Hamish could also get a look for a later pick.

Both were in the bests today for the Sandy Dragons, but Hamish was best-on-ground with 5 goals. Wasn't picked up last year after a foot injury ruined his year.

Pick 1. Cameron Rayner , 187cm , Western Jets. Pick 2. Paddy Dow , 184cm , Bendigo Pioneers. Pick 3. Luke Davies Uniacke , 187cm , Dandenong Stingrays. Pick 4. Adam Cerra , 186cm , Eastern Ranges. Pick 5. Jaidyn Stephenson , 189cm , Eastern Ranges. Pick 6. Darcy Fogarty , 192cm , Glenelg (SA) Pick 7. Aaron Naughton , 194cm , Peel Thunder(WA) St.Kilda bids on Patrick Naish. Richmond match the bid. Pick 8. Patrick Naish , 183cm , Northern Knights. Pick 9. Jarrod Brander , 194cm , Bendigo Pioneers. Pick 10. Nick Coffield , 190cm , Northern Knights. Near misses were Jack Higgins , 178cm , Oakleigh Chargers. Connor Ballenden , 199cm , Wests (QLD). Sam Hayes , 203cm , Eastern Ranges. Ryley Stoddart , 183cm , Eastern Ranges. Callum Coleman-Jones , 201cm , Sturt (SA). Just thought I'd throw one out there. It's just opinion , it won't be spot on. I do have us bidding on Naish , I rate him...so what. If you feel like ripping it to shreds , well take your ******** rrs elsewhere.
You have Brander too low. Thanks for doing a phantom draft though .,wish more people would

Just thought I would waste some time watching highlight reels of draftee's.

Andrew Brayshaw and Coffield are the ones I liked for 7 and 8. Brayshaw looked the pick of the mids outside of raynor and Dow. Coffields ball use and turn of speed was hard to ignore, especially if you could turn him into a mid. Would also solve the third tall issue.

Stephenson turns the ball over far to often to be a top 10 pick for mine. You can find speed with iffy ball use later in a draft.

Higgins reminds me of Lonie a bit to much, would rather trade a late pick for Karl Amon from port for a small forward/mid pinch hitter.

Have not seen anything on brander or naughton to comment on them. Do we need to be spending too 10 picks on key defensive posts?

Just thought I would waste some time watching highlight reels of draftee's.

Andrew Brayshaw and Coffield are the ones I liked for 7 and 8. Brayshaw looked the pick of the mids outside of raynor and Dow. Coffields ball use and turn of speed was hard to ignore, especially if you could turn him into a mid. Would also solve the third tall issue.

Stephenson turns the ball over far to often to be a top 10 pick for mine. You can find speed with iffy ball use later in a draft.

Higgins reminds me of Lonie a bit to much, would rather trade a late pick for Karl Amon from port for a small forward/mid pinch hitter.

Have not seen anything on brander or naughton to comment on them. Do we need to be spending too 10 picks on key defensive posts?
No chance we spend 2 top 10 picks on key defensive posts

Fogartys an interesting one.

Looked a star but could be a 'Francis-like' disaster selection of a player who doesn't fit anywhere.

On that kid who's averaging about 12 touches at VfL level and looks likely to be delisted soon.

Has everyone gone off O'Brien if we use our first picks?

Not me would have in heartbeat above any other player in 2 years time people will say how did that guy get picked
that late.

Look at McGrath ..this years RS elite runner .....Obrien same background elite runner.
McGrath very good kick , very good decision maker in traffic, organized already knows structures verbally
communicates .

Obrien is carbon copy player except a leftie .

Hi, quick question. Been reading the Norf board and they think the Kelly deal is as good as done, but the way I see it you guys are in the box seat to get him.

Is the feeling around the club that you guys will go hard for him and trade your two first round picks? I'd imagine will retirements etc you'd be sitting pretty in terms of salary cap.

He's a class player and would look good in your midfield. Would also be funny to see Norf lose out! They have a rubbish list anyway, Kelly would be a waste there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi, quick question. Been reading the Norf board and they think the Kelly deal is as good as done, but the way I see it you guys are in the box seat to get him.

Is the feeling around the club that you guys will go hard for him and trade your two first round picks? I'd imagine will retirements etc you'd be sitting pretty in terms of salary cap.

He's a class player and would look good in your midfield. Would also be funny to see Norf lose out! They have a rubbish list anyway, Kelly would be a waste there.
The general consensus here is that if Kelly were to nominate us then we'd be happy to part with both picks 7+8. A few others would like a second rounder coming back, but I'd rather not try to play hardball with GWS, just get it done. We almost ****ed the Carlisle trade by being stingey and when Essendon wouldn't budge on our original offer Hawthorn came into play with a good deal and reports at the time were Carlisle would be happy to go to either club. Not sure how true that was, but we can't afford to do that with Kelly. If he nominates us, just do the trade.

We are going very hard at him, that is fact. Most in the media are suggesting he might sign a two year deal at the Giants but nearly everyone is saying that if he goes St Kilda and Carlton are the front runners to get him.

North fans are funny, they are positive he's already agreed to go there although it's all based off a gut feel, no actual information, all because his dad played 60 games there.

The general consensus here is that if Kelly were to nominate us then we'd be happy to part with both picks 7+8. A few others would like a second rounder coming back, but I'd rather not try to play hardball with GWS, just get it done. We almost ****** the Carlisle trade by being stingey and when Essendon wouldn't budge on our original offer Hawthorn came into play with a good deal and reports at the time were Carlisle would be happy to go to either club. Not sure how true that was, but we can't afford to do that with Kelly. If he nominates us, just do the trade.
You could say we almost ****ed the Carlisle trade or look at it the other way, which is we ended up getting a great deal that kept us in the first round despite giving up pick 5.

Can you imagine if we just had of given Essendon pick 5 and not played hard ball?

Saying that, I'd be happy to give both picks for Kelly although I'd like to see the club at least try and get something back.

Not me would have in heartbeat above any other player in 2 years time people will say how did that guy get picked
that late.

Look at McGrath ..this years RS elite runner .....Obrien same background elite runner.
McGrath very good kick , very good decision maker in traffic, organized already knows structures verbally
communicates .

You seem to be very keen on O'Brien. Where do you expect him to go? By the sounds of it he'll definitely be available at our pick but most are tipping him to go in the teens.

You could say we almost ****** the Carlisle trade or look at it the other way, which is we ended up getting a great deal that kept us in the first round despite giving up pick 5.

Can you imagine if we just had of given Essendon pick 5 and not played hard ball?

Saying that, I'd be happy to give both picks for Kelly although I'd like to see the club at least try and get something back.
Carlisle for pick 5 is still a win. I'm glad we did what we did, even with hindsight on our side... but if a repeat of that situation were to happen with Kelly I'd be much more inclined to pull the trigger earlier on GWS' demands.

that late.

communicates .

Convinced Stkilda will engineer trade of early picks this year for someone
With Obrien in schoolboys comp every week they send a tagger to him .

Think Old Hailebury kids will be targeted by recruiters this year.

If got Kelly & were able to draft Obrien with long term view in 2 years with swap of picks would be rapt
The boy Constable might be good option if we have a spare pick and Obrien is gone

You seem to be very keen on O'Brien. Where do you expect him to go? By the sounds of it he'll definitely be available at our pick but most are tipping him to go in the teens.

No idea

Played out of position a lot in my opinion by Coaches particularly in Championships.

All credit to Sumich he did not play kids that way

We are going very hard at him, that is fact. Most in the media are suggesting he might sign a two year deal at the Giants but nearly everyone is saying that if he goes St Kilda and Carlton are the front runners to get him.

North fans are funny, they are positive he's already agreed to go there although it's all based off a gut feel, no actual information, all because his dad played 60 games there.
You'd imagine those two first round picks would be what they're after, especially after getting penalised for the Whitfield drug test. I guess Carlton are also well placed salary cap wise, but don't have two first rounders to trade. GWS are in the box seat really, and already have so much midfield talent.

You'd imagine those two first round picks would be what they're after, especially after getting penalised for the Whitfield drug test. I guess Carlton are also well placed salary cap wise, but don't have two first rounders to trade. GWS are in the box seat really, and already have so much midfield talent.
Remember, Carlton can use next years first as well, so it's not like we are the only team with great tradable assets

It will come down to whoever Kelly chooses (if he does decide to leave) because all Carlton, North, Saints and to a lesser extent Essendon can compensate GWS adequately.

Remember, Carlton can use next years first as well, so it's not like we are the only team with great tradable assets

It will come down to whoever Kelly chooses (if he does decide to leave) because all Carlton, North, Saints and to a lesser extent Essendon can compensate GWS adequately.
I keep forgetting about trading future picks...that makes it more complicated, and easier I guess, depending on what Kelly wants to do.

I keep forgetting about trading future picks...that makes it more complicated, and easier I guess, depending on what Kelly wants to do.
I think almost every Victorian club besides maybe Geelong, Hawthorn and Richmond could find both cap space and compensation for GWS in regards to obtaining Kelly.

Why the Demons are not into him I'll have no idea, especially when they were really considering taking him in the mini-draft. If Hogan is thinking about leaving, then they should be looking at a 3 way swap with Fremantle and their first round pick. He would compliment there midfield perfectly.

Carlisle for pick 5 is still a win. I'm glad we did what we did, even with hindsight on our side... but if a repeat of that situation were to happen with Kelly I'd be much more inclined to pull the trigger earlier on GWS' demands.

With respect, it's why you & I don't do the wheelin' & dealin' & Ameet does.

We supporters tend to get a bit angsty about these not going through straight up 'Just get it done!' - same with Purple & Kingy types as well, to be fair.

Ameet is on the payroll to make the decisions and I am happy for him to do as such.

He strikes good, but fair, deals for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back