List Mgmt. 2017 Draft Discussion (cont in Pt 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee he gets good midfield numbers for a guy he rates as a forward first. I think he'll be a forward to start with but he'll end up being a good midfielder. It's only his height that would have most worried I reckon.
You could kinda put him in the same boat as a Toby Greene, would get more numbers in the midfield sure. But is more a natural forward

If we end up with one of our picks left over I hope we get Stephenson. Tall, great mark, and can run like the wind. He's not a bad shot for goal either. Played mostly forward in his juniors but absolutely dominated the game against S.A. on the wing. Bit of a wildcard.
+1.

Stephenson kicked 5 goals and had 28 disposals in the game against SA. Would love he and Coffield if we end up with 7 & 8. A 189cm outside mid/forward who is actually a great kick for goal and breaks the lines, and a 190cm outside mid/defender who is elite by foot and has leadership written all over him. Would both complement what we have at the moment and especially in the case of Stephenson, be a real point of difference in a team that has been accused of lacking x-factor/star power.

Righto I'm convinced Hunter Clarke is our man at 7 or 8. Tometones words from road to the draft:

Was considered pick 1 as a 16 yo

Before this year played as a back flanker & disayed very good skills on both sides

Has played inside mid this year & is a bull

The form mid of the draft

In the mix at 2-10

Righto I'm convinced Hunter Clarke is our man at 7 or 8. Tometones words from road to the draft:

Was considered pick 1 as a 16 yo

Before this year played as a back flanker & disayed very good skills on both sides

Has played inside mid this year & is a bull

The form mid of the draft

In the mix at 2-10
Would be a huge stretch at our picks.

Every chance one of Stephenson, LDU, or Cerra slip to our pick seven if Collingwood and Freo go for talls. With all the doom and gloom on the trading page, I don't see the problem with taking two back-to-back top 10 picks to the draft. If we're not going to get an out-and-out gun with those picks, we can look to load up on elite young talent, and maybe get creative to get in to the second round. Would love for us to draft a true mid in Cerra or LDU and a third tall defender type, and wouldn't mind taking the risk on Stephenson if those two are gone. Then go for best available kid with speed or goal sense with whatever our next best pick is. There's always next year for a Kelly type if getting someone of his level and list fit becomes unlikely or nonviable.

I would take 7 to the draft, for the best kid left, and trade 8 with Brisbane for 14 and 18 or Richmond for 15 and 16. At 14 I would take best mid available, and 18 look for a defender, Naughton, Sam Taylor, Claverino. I would try and trade 43 and our 2 4th rounders for an upgrade to 43, and use it for a small forward.

I would be worried about that trade in a weaker draft depth wise. Ling is probably more a pick around the 14 mark though- could be a good get for what we are after that way.

Every chance one of Stephenson, LDU, or Cerra slip to our pick seven if Collingwood and Freo go for talls. With all the doom and gloom on the trading page, I don't see the problem with taking two back-to-back top 10 picks to the draft. If we're not going to get an out-and-out gun with those picks, we can look to load up on elite young talent, and maybe get creative to get in to the second round. Would love for us to draft a true mid in Cerra or LDU and a third tall defender type, and wouldn't mind taking the risk on Stephenson if those two are gone. Then go for best available kid with speed or goal sense with whatever our next best pick is. There's always next year for a Kelly type if getting someone of his level and list fit becomes unlikely or nonviable.

Both need tells but Freo ned some mid depth as well. Collingwood need to recruit some tall targets first, their mids are sorted.

BA has him pegged as a fwd first, mid second at afl level. Reckon he goes mid-late first round. Doesn't overly excite me tbh.
Higgans gets underated for a few reasons. In saying that I will explain why he will slide and why he is not sort after as highly first.
Athletisism-For somebody who is sub 180 Jack lacks the acceeration or super speed that is often needed to suceed at afl level.

Kicking-Whilst his kicking is neat, he can lacks penetration and doesn't always kick the ball with a lot of speed simmilar to robertan if that makes sense as opposed to say savage and webster. However everything suggests that higgans will iron out his kicking issues and he already did this year as far as im concerned. His ball drop was lowered and deviation was less of a problem. In an AFL system I also expect him to improve his kikcking length. This kid seriously wants to not just make it but be a top top FL PLAYER.

His strengths are kind of standard with some x factor

-His ball winning is out of this world. Last year he played purely as a mid and averaged something like 30 disposals as a bottum ager mixed in with school footy. He just gets the ball, wins free kicks, makes things happans. Probably needs to win some easier outside ball but that is splitting hairs.

Goalkicking-Higgans has always had an amazing abillity to kick a heap of goals, so when he was played forward thi year he was always going to kick bags. In year 10 playing fist 22 aps football against haileybury he kicked 7 goals, in against, Kieran Collins, Andrew/Hamish brayshaw etc. He has serious football nous an just finds the goals the same why he finds the ball.

Another option would be to package up next year's first with one of 7/8 for either Kelly or Brisbane or GC's first this year, and use the remainder of 7/8 in this year's draft. That would mean that we could realistically add a) Kelly and someone like Stephenson/LDU, or b) Rayner and Stephenson/LDU, to our team for next year.

I get the sense that the list management team don't really want to be still picking up kids in next year's draft, given the timing of the list build and proposed premiership window (in the Pelchen 5 year plan, 2018 was the year we were supposed to be making the 8). Melbourne have publicly adopted the same strategy; that's why they traded their first from 2016 for another first in 2015, to get Oliver and Wiedeman in the same draft in 2015. They have recognised that they want a core group of guys around the same age coming through together, so that that core are all peaking around the same time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Higgins is safe choice but i dont think hes the right choice for us. We have taken Gresham and Long with our first picks last two drafts Higgins would be a similiar pick type more Midfield perhaps. We need the run and class Midfielder. Good kicks is an urgent need!....

Lets not Forget Nathan Freeman Next year and fingers crossed he is over his hammy issue after a good run of VFL and playing well to. He can give us the run we desire on the outside so maybe the Saints are considering is potential in the team in terms of needs going into draft.

With Gibbs , Kelly , Stringer and co , possibly on the move , teams will come knocking about picks 7 and 8. That has to be good for us

Higgins , Naish , Petruccelle and numerous other rated players would likely be playing in that game too
Higgins was out, doubt we'd be looking at Naish and petruccelle 3rd pick there abouts. Would have been looking at coffield. Our recruiters would've said in meetings we are heaps keen on coffield Richo come have a look at this bloke play and tell us what you think.

Higgins was out, doubt we'd be looking at Naish and petruccelle 3rd pick there abouts. Would have been looking at coffield. Our recruiters would've said in meetings we are heaps keen on coffield Richo come have a look at this bloke play and tell us what you think.
At Fremantle , A former CEO with a recruiting background , was telling their head recruiter Phil Smart who to draft. When Phil Smart finally got some say in his last draft , he drafted Nat Fyfe at about pick 20. Their next recruiter was against drafting Simpson , but was told to take him with their 1st Rounder by Ross Lyon. He was delisted after his initial contract. This has nothing to do with us , or what you said , it's just so amusing all these years later still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back