Preview 2018 1st Semi Final: Hawthorn v Melbourne, 14 September 2018, 7.50pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dustin Martin has only had 5 possessions for the season in Richmond’s defensive 50.

That’s real. I’d suggest many players are directed to stay in designated areas (2/3 of the ground). It doesn’t mean they run less, but as the stats show they are able to run faster and repeat sprints.

I agree - he and Josh Caddy play midfield and forward. No doubt. In our prime you didn’t see Cyril doing much work in our back 50 either, nor Sam Mitchell in our front third.

It’s not rocket science, and it’s definitely not some magic elixir that enables Richmond to pressure teams better than anyone else.

We simply don’t have a mid who has the ability to play like Fyfe, Dangerfield and Martin (ie. rest deep forward one-out as a target). You can’t just wave a magic wand and conjure one up.

I agree - he and Josh Caddy play midfield and forward. No doubt. In our prime you didn’t see Cyril doing much work in our back 50 either, nor Sam Mitchell in our front third.

It’s not rocket science, and it’s definitelt not some magic elixir that enables Richmond to pressure teams better than anyone else.
I’d suggest it is. Wish I had data, but for now I can’t realkt argue without it. I watched the game on Thursday and it stood out to me big time. Citing a few players like Cyril and Mitchell doesn’t really change what I’m saying. My guess is about 12 players plus do this and I reckon it’s a massive reason why they grind teams down.

I said to myself earlier tonight I wouldn't post this but I can't help myself to be frank.

Why won't Clarko copy Richmond and only let our players play in two designated thirds of the ground each?

Nothing wrong with copying the best team in the competition, we still have three weeks left to see what it will do. Maybe Richmond aren't that invincible after all and if our players don't have to run into a whole third of the ground like theirs do, maybe we will wear down teams too.
Because we don’t play that way . Changing something totally like that would be a 12-24 month job not something you try in a week
Would be a disaster even as good a coach as Clarko is

Last thing I am doing is writing the Hawks off, I think it will be a ripper game, I acknowledge Smith, and where you guys might beat us, and that the Hawks year in and year out are a gun team (that I was jealous of for so long), but whether we have been the most crap team in the last 12 years is not what I am debating, or being lippy about, I reckon looking at the evidence of 2018, that our midfield will pose a problem for you and the supply you can get to kick a winning score. And tell me Viney doesn't remind you of Hodge/S.Mitchell. Also just quietly from what I hear you are carrying a few more injuries than us. Is going to be a bloody close match.

MasterSamurai, what is dangerous about our no name forward line is the goal assists, look it up, our team (when on admittedly) is the best at laying off to the better option. This bunch of no names is really good at sharing the goal kicking, it is also a bunch of no names that have kicked the most goals of any team this year. And watch a bloke called Salem set us up out of the backline, it's not just Lewis.

Forget the history (shooting fish in a barrel anyone) and all the cheap shots about the snow, look at the here and now, it will be a bloody tough game between two gun teams.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Viney and I rate your midfield. But I don’t fear it. And I rate ours just as highly, perhaps more.

To be honest, I’d prefer to play yours than the Holy Trinity, as I’ve seen what those pricks have done to us for a decade in big games.

I’m saying, plenty of people are writing us off. And keep doing it. As this is when we and Clarko are at our very best.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Viney and I rate your midfield. But I don’t fear it. And I rate ours just as highly, perhaps more.

To be honest, I’d prefer to play yours than the Holy Trinity, as I’ve seen what those pricks have done to us for a decade in big games.

I’m saying, plenty of people are writing us off. And keep doing it. As this is when we and Clarko are at our very best.

I would have preferred to face Geelong if I'm being honest, the cats bottom 8 players or so are pretty woeful.

Gotta love how fickle the AFL world is (fans/media).

Hawthorn lose to the clear best team in the comp in conditions that not only favour them but also hurt the way we want to play.

Melbourne beat a team that was clearly in the bottom two teams in the 8 and have been significantly overrated all season.

Now all of a sudden Melbourne are a legitimate premiership threat to the Tigers and the Hawks are 'facing a straight sets exit'. Both of those things may happen, but it is a massive overreaction to two games of footy.

Melbourne are a scary team when they are on, but they have shown at times this year that they are capable of some poor performances. 50/50 game and i am just excited to see Mitchell and Jaeger as well as some of the younger guys out on the finals stage again.

Gotta love how fickle the AFL world is (fans/media).

Hawthorn lose to the clear best team in the comp in conditions that not only favour them but also hurt the way we want to play.

Melbourne beat a team that was clearly in the bottom two teams in the 8 and have been significantly overrated all season.

Now all of a sudden Melbourne are a legitimate premiership threat to the Tigers and the Hawks are 'facing a straight sets exit'. Both of those things may happen, but it is a massive overreaction to two games of footy.

Melbourne are a scary team when they are on, but they have shown at times this year that they are capable of some poor performances. 50/50 game and i am just excited to see Mitchell and Jaeger as well as some of the younger guys out on the finals stage again.

Outside of 2016, it's common that the loser of the qualifying final gets written off, only to rebound.
Hoping that trend continues.
You'd be forgiven for thinking we had a pretty good season, based on the commentary.
Quietly confidant we can rebound this weekend.
If not, at least our kids learn what finals are about in readiness fir coming seasons

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I the only one nervous about the two players left over from the Box Hill Hawks?

I for one would prefer Brand over Mirra and Miles over Doc.

What we would give for a fit Birch right now. :(
100% i think it would be a step backwards to go with those two over Brand/Miles, 5 day break makes it look likely though.

It's surprising as well because i thought Miles was looking more and more comfortable each and every week he was in the team, would love to see how he stacks up in finals footy.

100% i think it would be a step backwards to go with those two over Brand/Miles, 5 day break makes it look likely though.

It's surprising as well because i thought Miles was looking more and more comfortable each and every week he was in the team, would love to see how he stacks up in finals footy.
I just can’t see anything in Docs skill set that Miles can’t do better.

You’re probably right but it’s doing wonders for Richmond so get on it Hawks.
Playing follow the leader never works in AFL , its a mistake a lot of clubs have fallen for in the past . Even Richmond tried to replicate us a few years ago and it was a disaster for them.

I think clarko got nervous watching miles against Sydney. He has been terrific but had no impact in a game that had finals type atmosphere. Mirra is a big body same with doc they would never shirk a contest.

Brand has no match up against Melbourne. If we win this week and play west coast he might be a real chance

Miles is miles ahead of duryea Haha .
Unfortunatly If duryea plays he will play forward guys in nash role. This is why I think he was rested.
Mirra for stratts is straight swap .

I think clarko got nervous watching miles against Sydney. He has been terrific but had no impact in a game that had finals type atmosphere. Mirra is a big body same with doc they would never shirk a contest.

Brand has no match up against Melbourne. If we win this week and play west coast he might be a real chance

Weideman?? Brand or mirra could play on him there just preferring mirra. I'd rather see hearthley lol.

Clarko needs to try and win the game this week not save it.

Thank God.

We've been building since round 1 and learnt far more from our losses than our victories.
Over time then, you must've learnt a hell of a lot.

We are staring down the barrel of a 300 point loss with how much you've learnt.

With all due respect, I’ll give you Smith and O’Meara, but Mitchell will turn over half his possessions, Burgoyne is a dead set champion of the game but looked slow and past it against Richmond, Shiels is a battler, and Worpell and Morrison looked so far out their depth in finals. Howe performed ok, but I’d still pick him after all our mids you listed. Henderson did look pretty good on Thursday night too, but can he play to that level again?

Don’t get me wrong, I would never right off the Hawks, far too accomplished a team for that, and I’m expecting a tough contest, but I think the one area we win comfortably is the midfield, you can exploit our forwards and backs.

I also think you should be praying for rain. Our round 4 clash we smashed you in the dry in the first quarter. When the rain came we sucked (not saying that’s why we lost). Same happened against Adelaide late in the year. We were up by 30 odd points, rain came early in the last and we almost lost it. We are dead set pathetic in the wet.

Good luck for Friday night, let’s hope for a cracking game!
You've already got a few responses but I do like how you have come here said you would never right us off then have canned a fair chunk of our players.

I guess I would be pretty confident too if we had a heap of first round draft picks and high end talent that we had accumulated over a decent period of time. Especially when your facing such an ordinary midfield this Friday night :)

I just can’t see anything in Docs skill set that Miles can’t do better.
Duryea has Miles covered for body strength and contact. But Miles is more advanced in just about every other area of the game.

Oh duryea is apparently handy with a pair of clippers.

Over time then, you must've learnt a hell of a lot.

We are staring down the barrel of a 300 point loss with how much you've learnt.
It's about building momentum and peaking at the right time, friend.

Five wins from the last 6 matches, including victories over West Coast in Perth, and both GWS and Geelong at the 'G gives rise to optimism.

But like all matches, it will be won in the midfield. We have the second best contested ball differential since they've been keeping records for that stat in 1999. First and third in that category both won flags in their respective years.

If Hawthorn can get the better of Gawn, Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw, Harmes, vandenBerg, Petracca, Tyson, Neal-Bullen, and Jones then good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back