2018 pre season

Remove this Banner Ad

We can just agree to disagree, id personally prefer our fringe players making the sacrifice of not attending a 4 day music festival on a short xmas break - and more generally not as often having a drink in hand on social media (in and out out of season), if others arn't phased or think that is in no way related to a wider attitude or to their commitment to professinal standards - thats fine, we can just move on.

Lifestyle is inexplicably linked to performance, how many teams have put in season drinking bans on each other and reaped rewards? Its all about the level of sacrifice you are willing to make.

I personally look at Keyes and bewick at Falls (remember it is half way through a prep campaign) and shake my head, cant help how I feel about that.

Agreeing to disagree is fine, but if you bring something up on a forum which, as you said, is potentially a split topic, discussion and debate is expected and healthy.

Lol, what a shit rant.
And WTF, regarding RoBew's age? "28's too old to like music...".
What a stupid, steaming pile of dribble.
"I know what it takes to be elite".
giphy.gif

The reference to his age was CLEARLY in regards to his football career being toward the end and this year being make or break in terms of fighting for another contract - not in relation to the age at which you can attend festivals or like music.

Cheers.

Agreeing to disagree is fine, but if you bring something up on a forum which, as you said, is potentially a split topic, discussion and debate is expected and healthy.

Yeah I was enjoying the debate, a fans expectations of players in a personal view point. But if you see Skoobs post above, just before mine? when people start posting like that im out on any further discussion, it just decends and becomes unpleasent. Best to move on.

Yeah I was enjoying the debate, a fans expectations of players in a personal view point. But if you see Skoobs post above, just before mine? when people start posting like that im out on any further discussion, it just decends and becomes unpleasent. Best to move on.
Mate, you just went off on some rant about a couple of guys going to a music festival during their holidays. No link to any story, posts, pictures. No context at all, just that they are horribly unprofessional for going to a festival. (Read your original post again, and the ones after it). How about at least adding some context to your horror, because all I know is that you've apparently seen a photo somewhere of 2 players at an event. Too bad if you're offended by me mocking what was a ridiculous post.

By the way, my reference to Bewick's age was sparked by Sizey's post that 28 year olds at music festivals is "creepy". I didn't quote you or him, because the whole thread was weird.

Mate, you just went off on some rant about a couple of guys going to a music festival during their holidays. No link to any story, posts, pictures. No context at all, just that they are horribly unprofessional for going to a festival. (Read your original post again, and the ones after it). How about at least adding some context to your horror, because all I know is that you've apparently seen a photo somewhere of 2 players at an event. Too bad if you're offended by me mocking what was a ridiculous post.

By the way, my reference to Bewick's age was sparked by Sizey's post that 28 year olds at music festivals is "creepy". I didn't quote you or him, because the whole thread was weird.
My post was uninformed. I was under the impression the event he went to catered for people under the age of say under 21 or so. I'm not into the festival scene so don't know all the events off by heart and who the target audiences are for each one. I just got the image of a 'toolie' in my mind for some reason... but still it does get to a point where someone should start to ease up on the going out and getting blind drunk and generally by the age of 28 you would think most would be over that by now (not suggesting Bewick did but only went off LITS post which implied it might have happened). What I'm saying is that it doesn't exactly look good if that is the case considering the position he is in at the club so I do agree with LITS on that point. Anyways I don't think the club is too concerned as long as Bewick is hitting his KPIs and/or isn't recovering from an injury but it certainly makes it harder for Bewick to be the absolute best he could be this year.

I once ran into a former lions player at an alternative music festival where there was open drug use. Said player was ultra professional and wasn't even drinking anything except water, but was there for the music. Just because there may be illicit activities taking place, doesn't mean everyone is doing it. FTR, I wasn't either and I was in my mid 30s at the time.

I once ran into a former lions player at an alternative music festival where there was open drug use. Said player was ultra professional and wasn't even drinking anything except water, but was there for the music. Just because there may be illicit activities taking place, doesn't mean everyone is doing it. FTR, I wasn't either and I was in my mid 30s at the time.
I’d prefer we base our beliefs on instagram posts that’s show nothing at lol rather than first hand stories ;).

Haha what a shit post by whoever started the rant. The only reason people are even talking about it, is because of how popular social media is right now. Go back 10 years, heck even 5 years, and there would be numerous young players who would be doing the exact same thing, but not documented. Honestly, so many better things to worry about, then a couple of men enjoying their week off. Seriously, get a life and stop judging people when you have no idea what or how they might be enjoying their holidays.

Keays was one of the best trainers leading up into the Christmas break, and now that he's having some time off, he gets chastised? We abuse players for not mingling with their teammates, and when they do, we abuse them for not being professional enough in the off-season? Get stuffed ffs.

Mid 30s? Brb, let me grab some steriotypes...

Booze bans are the worst thing that can be put in place at clubs. As soon as you tell a group of blokes between the ages of 18-33 that they can't have a drink for the season or large chunks of the year you are screwed.

Booze bans are the worst thing that can be put in place at clubs. As soon as you tell a group of blokes between the ages of 18-33 that they can't have a drink for the season or large chunks of the year you are screwed.
Dunno, seemed to work okay for the Suns. You know, until Charlie wanted to move closer to the Barossa, and didn't he go down hill and didn't he go down hill this year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shot down in fair debate, your style of posting in these situations should be moderated but never is.

Your response was way out of wack for my questioning of their professional standards it like I had accused them of drug dealing at the festival or something.

Is the notion that apparent 'party time' or 'drinking' or 'priorities' is linked to professionalism so absurd? Really, its a completely new frontier in discussions about a players professionalism is it?

The amount some of our players drink has been under question for the last 2 years, its no secret.

If you can't see any merrit in me questioning the priorities of a couple of fringe players who are at a music festival, and will be packing up camp this morning (24 hours before they are back at training tomorrow) then we just wont see eye to eye on this topic.

Honestly- do think Scott Pendlebry or Micheal Voss in his prime is pulling up tent pegs from a 4 day festival 24 hours before returning to full tilt training?

Ben keyes has a drink in hand every picture and insta vid he is in, unless he rushes over to grab someone elses drink to be photo'd with, my assumption is it has been a bender. We can argue semantics but their videos looked like it has been a typical falls bender, i think imagining they have been training in the mornings, sticking to their nutrition plan and drinking water is a lot less likely than what I am assuming has been going on.

I had no issue with them all letting loose on the footy trip, or all the other days and nights spent drinking on their break - but this xmas holiday is a mini interval to the preseason, it is short and IMO spending most of the last week before returning to full tilt training at Falls, says - they arnt willing to make the sacrifice required.

For me its about timing, had it been at the start of the holidays, fine - I just look at Bewick and shake my head, a guy we have devaloped for 7 years with no return, going into his make or break year at a 4 days festival that concludes a day before training resumes is a joke.

Haha what a shit post by whoever started the rant. The only reason people are even talking about it, is because of how popular social media is right now. Go back 10 years, heck even 5 years, and there would be numerous young players who would be doing the exact same thing, but not documented. Honestly, so many better things to worry about, then a couple of men enjoying their week off. Seriously, get a life and stop judging people when you have no idea what or how they might be enjoying their holidays.

Keays was one of the best trainers leading up into the Christmas break, and now that he's having some time off, he gets chastised? We abuse players for not mingling with their teammates, and when they do, we abuse them for not being professional enough in the off-season? Get stuffed ffs.

Thank you for spelling Keays
correctly.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Shot down in fair debate, your style of posting in these situations should be moderated but never is.

Your response was way out of wack for my questioning of their professional standards it like I had accused them of drug dealing at the festival or something.

Is the notion that apparent 'party time' or 'drinking' or 'priorities' is linked to professionalism so absurd? Really, its a completely new frontier in discussions about a players professionalism is it?

The amount some of our players drink has been under question for the last 2 years, its no secret.

If you can't see any merrit in me questioning the priorities of a couple of fringe players who are at a music festival, and will be packing up camp this morning (24 hours before they are back at training tomorrow) then we just wont see eye to eye on this topic.

Honestly- do think Scott Pendlebry or Micheal Voss in his prime is pulling up tent pegs from a 4 day festival 24 hours before returning to full tilt training?

Ben keyes has a drink in hand every picture and insta vid he is in, unless he rushes over to grab someone elses drink to be photo'd with, my assumption is it has been a bender. We can argue semantics but their videos looked like it has been a typical falls bender, i think imagining they have been training in the mornings, sticking to their nutrition plan and drinking water is a lot less likely than what I am assuming has been going on.

I had no issue with them all letting loose on the footy trip, or all the other days and nights spent drinking on their break - but this xmas holiday is a mini interval to the preseason, it is short and IMO spending most of the last week before returning to full tilt training at Falls, says - they arnt willing to make the sacrifice required.

For me its about timing, had it been at the start of the holidays, fine - I just look at Bewick and shake my head, a guy we have devaloped for 7 years with no return, going into his make or break year at a 4 days festival that concludes a day before training resumes is a joke.
I still haven't seen what the hell you're on about. I don't have an insta account, but assume all pics & vids are public. How about a link or pic of what's got you worried. I had a quick look at Ben and Rohan's accounts last night, and saw nothing.

Yes. It's the "apparent" part that is troubling. As others have pointed out, it doesn't seem to have been an issue for Ben, and you seem to be leaping to some big conclusions.

The years prior to this one have had some troublesome players, which is why the Irishman is on the Gold Coast, Tommy was punted to Port and Leppa is back at Richmond. From all reports, a big cultural shift came with the recruitment of Fagan & Noble.

bk1.JPG

I can't tell what the can of drink is, can you?
The other pic on his account is in a cup. What's in the cup?

As I posted earlier, maybe if you shared what you saw (other than declaring he is always on the piss) you might have some context to back up your statements, but I don't know what the hell you're on about.

I still haven't seen what the hell you're on about. I don't have an insta account, but assume all pics & vids are public. How about a link or pic of what's got you worried. I had a quick look at Ben and Rohan's accounts last night, and saw nothing.

Yes. It's the "apparent" part that is troubling. As others have pointed out, it doesn't seem to have been an issue for Ben, and you seem to be leaping to some big conclusions.

The years prior to this one have had some troublesome players, which is why the Irishman is on the Gold Coast, Tommy was punted to Port and Leppa is back at Richmond. From all reports, a big cultural shift came with the recruitment of Fagan & Noble.

View attachment 448686

I can't tell what the can of drink is, can you?
The other pic on his account is in a cup. What's in the cup?

As I posted earlier, maybe if you shared what you saw (other than declaring he is always on the piss) you might have some context to back up your statements, but I don't know what the hell you're on about.

Fair enough on posting a more considered and articulate post, I except while casting assertions evidence an coherence goes a long way, still I think most can construct an idea of what being at Falls for 4 days means.

And yes those who are the fittest naturally can often go into excess more than others, see Ben Cousins.

Rohan and Bens accounts contain a lot of situations with alcohol, more than the average AFL players IMO - ive done a scan recently of about 10 players including the Bonts and others. However that is not the main issue, we have obviously given them freedom in that department.

Pulling up tent pegs from a 4 day festival on the eve of returning to full tilt training says unprofessional to me, its not a stackable offence, just unprofessional.

Ive clearly stated what I am 'on about' and whilst divisive, its a totally fair point to raise IMO.. you just dont share it.

For example, I party a lot but if I was starting a new job or had a big occasion that required absolute professionalism, no way im limping in with sunnies and a double shot latte after 1 day to recover from a 4 day festival.

And please you never needed any evidence when tearing Rocky to pieces, evidence of them attending a 4 day music festival is pictured - and that's my main issue.

I would prefer not to see Bewick at Falls the day before training resumes, I stand by that, he was listed in a recent article as 'one who needs to step up' and we are all hoping ge does, but in seeing that I just go, nup.. this bloke isnt ABSOLUTLEY and entirely locked in to giving it everything he has.

Thats my opinion, maybe its having attended falls 6 times and knowing what goes on there and given their experience looks the same, im a bit jaded as to how much it takes out of you.

Its 2 or 3 players on the list, good to see a large majority are locked and loaded and making the sacrifices required on the eve of returning to training.

So Rip are Ben and Rohan looking tired and emotional at training?

I think it is a big mistake to not allow players an outlet to let off steam and relax especially away from the club. Provided they are under control and doing what they need to do on the park for god sake let them enjoy their lives. Trying to big brother everything will cause discontent and very likely be counterproductive to on field performance.

So Rip are Ben and Rohan looking tired and emotional at training?

I think it is a big mistake to not allow players an outlet to let off steam and relax especially away from the club. Provided they are under control and doing what they need to do on the park for god sake let them enjoy their lives. Trying to big brother everything will cause discontent and very likely be counterproductive to on field performance.

Im happy for our club to let them, id prefer they chose not too, especially with both being.. arguably, number 1 and 2 on our 'need to step up list'. Theres enjoying yourself and then there's falls - which again, concludes after 4 days.. 24 hours before training returns - they are 2 different convos. This isnt a concert or a night at a cocktail bar we are discussing.

I think most can construct an idea of what being at Falls for 4 days means.
No, no, no.
That's like saying "a woman walking in Fortitude Valley", or "Being a priest" or "I saw them at the TAB", all only mean one thing.
If camping at a music festival is what has tipped you off to a lifestyle of debauchery, then I have to stand by my initial response that you are being ridiculous.
(And still no links????)

Oh, and the Rockliffe thing, was based off information from very trusted sources and knowing who some sources were, as opposed to just some Bigfooty guy's paranoia about what's in Ben Keays' cup.

Great to see the boys complying with the most important directive of the offseason so far.

Not a thong in site.
Have you used one of those comic book x-ray glasses to come to that conclusion Quigs?:)

2018 pre season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back