2018 pre season

Remove this Banner Ad

Bookmarked.

And don't go getting me any of that shizen local commercial rubbish or any thing too inexpensive.
I've never tried Shizen beer but i'll give it a go.
DSC08190.jpg

Im prepared to be shot down here. But here goes.

Disclaimer - I am all for players having a life and enjoying their freetime however..

I am of the view that whilst you are attending 4 day festivals and partying a lot, with that mentality, you won't or will struggle to make it at the top level. Id like to see Ben Keyes not be getting loose every second day in his free time.

How old is Bewick? This is his last crack at the elite level this year soooo.. yeah lets go get wiped out at Falls, a festival that concluded 2 days before the last stint of training resumes.

Rich, Mayes, taylor, cutler, paps and most others all appear to have grown up a fair bit, reckon there is still a handful that will delay or stifle their devalopmemt due to having a party first mentality.

Disclaimer - I am all for players having a life and enjoying their freetime however..

I am of the view that whilst you are attending 4 day festivals and partying a lot, with that mentality, you won't or will struggle to make it at the top level. Id like to see Ben Keyes not be getting loose every second day in his free time.

How old is Bewick? This is his last crack at the elite level this year soooo.. yeah lets go get wiped out at Falls, a festival that concluded 2 days before the last stint of training resumes.

Rich, Mayes, taylor, cutler, paps and most others all appear to have grown up a fair bit, reckon there is still a handful that will delay or stifle their devalopmemt due to having a party first mentality.

Do you know how much they've had to drink?
Do you know if they've been doing their fitness routines in the morning before going to watch bands?
Do you know if they didn't discuss with Fagan etc to ensure they're all good with them going?

If you DON'T know, then maybe it is best not to get worked up about it?

I've heard from a work colleague (wife of a long term past player) that there are a number of the younger crop getting on it quite consistently which is a concern. Professional athlete is a balancing act and their time is short. I'm not going to shoot them down without knowing the full extent of their New Years at Falls but especially in regards to Keays this is a make or break it year (bit presumptuous one might say).
Yeah maybe. Few beers on a boat or the occasional night at the pub - ok, Bewick going to Falls.. 28 years old on the eve of his make or break year, give me a spell.
Bewick might be of the realisation that his days are numbered.

Do you know how much they've had to drink?
Do you know if they've been doing their fitness routines in the morning before going to watch bands?
Do you know if they didn't discuss with Fagan etc to ensure they're all good with them going?

If you DON'T know, then maybe it is best not to get worked up about it?

I don't care who they clear it with, its common sense. Fitness routine before going to see the bands? Please.

You want to achieve greatness starting your year off with 4 days of debauchery at a festival just doesen't scream 'what ever it takes' to me.

Ive been to plenty, theres no good food, you are dehydrated the whole time, you sleep on a crap mattress and it takes about a week to recover.

If thats bewicks version of whatever it takes, no wonder he struggles to make it as a professional footballer.

I don't care who they clear it with, its common sense. Fitness routine before going to see the bands? Please.

You want to achieve greatness starting your year off with 4 days of debauchery at a festival just doesen't scream 'what ever it takes' to me.

Ive been to plenty, theres no good food, you are dehydrated the whole time, you sleep on a crap mattress and it takes about a week to recover.

If thats bewicks version of whatever it takes, no wonder he struggles to make it as a professional footballer.

'There's no good food'
Last festival I went to that stretched over multiple days had healthy food, not sure one day festivals represent food options for multiple day events.

'You are dehydrated the whole time'
Is that assuming they aren't drinking water? Once again, not an issue I've ever had - there was heaps of water stations and even free water bottles being handed out.

'You sleep on a crap matress'
Doubt it. The last two multiple day festivals I slept in a hotel 15 mins from Byron and brought an air matress which was super comfy.

The point being, you're speculating assuming the worst. If they have in fact gone against what Fagan etc advised them to do then they will face the consequences.

I get the frustration as a fan we want to see these guys take their opportunities with both hands, but these guys have a right to be human and live their lives so long as they are doing so with the coaching staffs' blessings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've heard from a work colleague (wife of a long term past player) that there are a number of the younger crop getting on it quite consistently which is a concern. Professional athlete is a balancing act and their time is short. I'm not going to shoot them down without knowing the full extent of their New Years at Falls but especially in regards to Keays this is a make or break it year (bit presumptuous one might say).

Bewick might be of the realisation that his days are numbered.

If you want to make it at the elite level, you make the sacrifice, there is a handful of lions players who appear to be constantly out getting loose. We all know it goes on.

As ive said before, you think gary ablett junior, patrick dangerfield, Tom Brady, lebron james are attending 4 day music festivals on the eve of the final 'full tilt' phase of campaign preperation? Me thinks not. Its about having a mature, focused, professional mindset.

Im happy with where a majority of our guys are at and I doubt cam rayner will be partying with them over the next 2 years - or I sure hope he doesn't anyway.

I have done elite training in a gym setting and have been meticulous with every element of training, i didnt drink once in that time and that wasnt professional - you cant get the most out of body and mind if you party all the time and attend four day festivals.

If you want to make it at the elite level, you make the sacrifice, there is a handful of lions players who appear to be constantly out getting loose. We all know it goes on.

As ive said before, you think gary ablett junior, patrick dangerfield, Tom Brady, lebron james are attending 4 day music festivals on the eve of the final 'full tilt' phase of campaign preperation? Me thinks not. Its about having a mature, focused, professional mindset.

Im happy with where a majority of our guys are at and I doubt cam rayner will be partying with them over the next 2 years - or I sure hope he doesn't anyway.

I have done elite training in a gym setting and have been meticulous with every element of training, i didnt drink once in that time and that wasnt professional - you cant get the most out of body and mind if you party all the time and attend four day festivals.

What the **** is this 'constantly out getting loose' and 'party all the time'? They get a few weeks off a year why shouldn't they make the most of it and behave like normal 20 year olds?

It might effect their performance by 0.001% but it also might be a good release.

The reigning brownlow medalist doesn't mind partying.

Dustin Martin, Buddy Franklin and half the Bulldogs list would suggest it's not just about having a mature, focused, professional mindset. Some people seem to expect professional athletes to be automatons and that will never be the case- especially when you're talking about footy players. Any coach who attempts to enforce overly strict standards won't get far.
probably likes picking up teens for a pump and dump? He's getting to the creepy old dude stage that's for sure.
The target market for festivals like falls these days is more like 30 year olds with money anyway.

Buddy Franklin on a winery tour a couple of weeks ago. Call in the Sydney coaching and medical staff, the guys obviously a drunk and needs help.

I think the important thing here is that you have no idea what level the guys are at and how many AFL or elite sportsmen and women were at the festival. Any evidence to suggest they were drunk, eating crappy food, dehydrated and didn’t commit to their fitness program while on break? I’ve got a mate who plays pretty high level tennis and he’s at almost every festival he can get to and still does his fitness work each day

Dustin Martin, Buddy Franklin and half the Bulldogs list would suggest it's not just about having a mature, focused, professional mindset. Some people seem to expect professional athletes to be automatons and that will never be the case- especially when you're talking about footy players. Any coach who attempts to enforce overly strict standards won't get far.

The target market for festivals like falls these days is more like 30 year olds with money anyway.

Hang on Dustin Martin who was shopped around 3 years ago for peanuts and was on his last legs in the league and only made it through that period due to an obscene level of projected talent vs Ben Keyes and Rohan Bewick? If Bewick had win last years brownlow, id have less of an issue. You can point out those who do, I can point out a list of those who don't. In the position we are climbing from it annoys me Guys who have struggled on our list for 7 years, are at a music festival on the eve of a new campaign. He needs to get his priorities straight, then again.. its probley self explanatory as to why he can't make it at the elite level.

What the **** is this 'constantly out getting loose' and 'party all the time'? They get a few weeks off a year why shouldn't they make the most of it and behave like normal 20 year olds?

It might effect their performance by 0.001% but it also might be a good release.

The reigning brownlow medalist doesn't mind partying.

Theres a handful that look like they party a lot, Ben Keyes is the main one. During the season and in the off season, there have been several here, in the know that have confirmed as much. Not all, but some, appear to party a lot.

Hang on Dustin Martin who was shopped around 3 years ago for peanuts and was on his last legs in the league and only made it through that period due to an obscene level of projected talent vs Ben Keyes and Rohan Bewick? If Bewick had win last years brownlow, id have less of an issue. You can point out those who do, I can point out a list of those who don't. In the position we are climbing from it annoys me Guys who have struggled on our list for 7 years, are at a music festival on the eve of a new campaign. He needs to get his priorities straight, then again.. its probley self explanatory as to why he can't make it at the elite level.
Keays and Bewick would probably be two of the fitter players on the list though, it's not like they're struggling to run out games because they party too hard in the off season.
Theres a handful that look like they party a lot, Ben Keyes is the main one. During the season and in the off season, there have been several here, in the know that have confirmed as much. Not all, but some, appear to party a lot.
What exactly do you think it is that most footy players do in their time off?

We can just agree to disagree, id personally prefer our fringe players making the sacrifice of not attending a 4 day music festival on a short xmas break - and more generally not as often having a drink in hand on social media (in and out out of season), if others arn't phased or think that is in no way related to a wider attitude or to their commitment to professinal standards - thats fine, we can just move on.

Lifestyle is inexplicably linked to performance, how many teams have put in season drinking bans on each other and reaped rewards? Its all about the level of sacrifice you are willing to make.

I personally look at Keyes and bewick at Falls (remember it is half way through a prep campaign) and shake my head, cant help how I feel about that.

Remove this Banner Ad

2018 pre season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back