List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The best move would be to hold onto our 2020 1st until draft night. If a bid for Henry comes at 8 or 9 then trade our 2020 1st to Freo for pick 10.
Freo would give us 2019 Pick 10 for what will probs be our 2020 Pick 20ish?

19 is in that speculative range and not much better than 30 even 40, if we trade our 1st its a top 15 or no go for me.

images

The best move would be to hold onto our 2020 1st until draft night. If a bid for Henry comes at 8 or 9 then trade our 2020 1st to Freo for pick 10.

On this, could Carlton bid on Henry at pick 9, then offer their 2020 first-round for pick 10? Like it would be risky but reward would be amazing. They effectively force Fremantle's hand and benefit on from it.

pick 11 matches any pick three picks before nominally 8. Finn at pick 7 only gives a slight downgrade of pick 42

If it was pick 10, wouldnt 42 get a boost of ~ 250 points up close to ~ pick 28? or would we just get an extra pick slotted in at ~ 52?

what a complicated system

Last edited:
Also, the sydney west coast live trading double swap is now outlawed, but whats to stop us trading again with north in live trading? thats still allowed?

North now have 26 27 and 30. Get one of them back after matching for Finn

Last edited:
I can't see a club willing to trade out their first round pick in this draft for one in the draft next year? Just don't see the point unless another pick is thrown in.
Could be plenty of reasons

A club needs to trade out of this years first because of a bid (Freo at 10)

A team like the Suns could be willing to trade 15 and be big players in next years draft as they already have 1 and 2 in this years draft.

Richmond at 19 could be willing because they know they are risking nothing and could potentially get a higher pick next season.

I can't see a club willing to trade out their first round pick in this draft for one in the draft next year? Just don't see the point unless another pick is thrown in.
Depends. If it's a club like Richmond with a high pick and the club doesn't rate our prospects next year, why not?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those wondering Pick 42, 50, 54 & 63 give us enough points to match a bid on Finn from pick 12 onwards. However, I'm beginning to suspect the club believes Finn will not attract a first round bid and are consequently looking for a later first round pick rather than earlier. Something like 2020 First for Pick 18/19. This way we can get two first round picks + Maginness while also keeping some later picks.

It's a risky play which may work in our favour but I can't help feel that everything will collapse if Finn is bid on early and we have to pass.
Can we not just do it on the night?

Say we agree to swap with gold Coast our future 1st for 15 but we dont do that deal until pick 14 is done therefore when its gc turn to pick they trade to us we take x player then hopefully finn is bid on after.

If finn is bid on at 12 we match and then bring in 15 later so we dont have to use if in a bid match.

I can easily see us getting 11, 15 (or something like it) and finn now. We wont have to use 15 in a match if we don't have it yet.

Last edited:
Grimley was our first pick after we passed on premiership ruckman Vardy who Geelong duly snapped up.
I know i go to bed every night having nightmares about missing out on AFL superstar Nathan Vardy.

North the gifts that keep on giving šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ˜Ž

Good get for the Hawks, we're a tad hamstrung with list spots and are taking only three picks this year. So for us it was use 47 and turf 50 or give them both to you and our 2020 second rounder.

We've got 26,27 & 30 now which isn't a bad situation for us in 2019. But yes you saw an opportunity and struck a deal, I'm happy with our reasoning as well.

Edit- sorry we kept 47 and that will be used on ex ***** ****** *** ***

It is ok to admit we have made a blue unless you think Grimely is better than Vardy? Ryan hooper was also a big miss
We have made plenty of mistakes, i am not losing any sleep over missing out on a player with pick 39 in a Draft from 10 years ago. I am losing less sleep over missing out on Vardy...

Why would Gil Coast be giving up a 2019 1st @ 15 for a 2020 1st, likely about Pick 18-21?

because the perception is that we will be a middle of the road team, i personally believe we'll make finals, so the team we are trading with will be expecting a 2020 pick 10 but will likely get one later imo, which means we can maybe get a bit of a bargain potentially, if this is our plan?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back