• Clarko and the Hawks should impose their own penalty

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stratton should be suspended by the MRP

Votes: 50 89.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok but we're back to the start. How do we tell the difference?

When Tex plays well we win. Alright.

How do we know he's not capitalising on work by Sloane, Crouch, Crouch, Smith?

How do we know he's not just skiing in our victories off the good work of others?
C'mon. Why do you think Tex has been suggested as a barometer for our side while Jenkins has been considered to be a downhill skiier ?? They play in the same forward line. You've watched enough footy.

C'mon. Why do you think Tex has been suggested as a barometer for our side while Jenkins has been considered to be a downhill skiier ?? They play in the same forward line. You've watched enough footy.

I don't think Tex is a barometer.

IMO our two barometers are Smith and Laird. When we play to our strengths and gameplan - these two are involved heavily.

Beyond the subjective eye test / gut feel I don't feel there's any good way of differentiating between these alleged player categories

A downhill skiier never plays well in losses because they rely on the rest of the team performing to perform themselves. They do not generate play so when the play isn't being generated, they are useless.

In contrast, a match winner is a player that has the ability to lift the team over the line to a winning position. However by virtue of the game being a team sport, this won't always work, so you'd expect that on occasion a match winner will play well in losses.

Tipungwuti not even scoring in 5 losses suggests he is a downhill skiier over that period

So that means Atkins and Mackay are down hill skiers?

So why aren't they winning some games when Tipungwuti doesn't play well?

Wouldn't their match winners be lifting the other players to a few victories?

They do. The stat quoted is a simplification.

Tipungwuti has only ever kicked more than 2 goals in a loss once. As opposed to eight times in wins

It is amusing seeing Tealsters laugh at Wingard being scrutinised in the Vic media.

Do they not realise Wingard is a product of the way they struggle to develop quality players. They had a very talented kid who was an early All Australian who has been left to stagnate because their club can't nurture a player beyond their natural talent.

Ollie Wines is the same.

I hope Rozee enjoys the next two or so years. It will be his best football given how poorly Port take that raw talent and grow it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It is amusing seeing Tealsters laugh at Wingard being scrutinised in the Vic media.

Do they not realise Wingard is a product of the way they struggle to develop quality players. They had a very talented kid who was an early All Australian who has been left to stagnate because their club can't nurture a player beyond their natural talent.

Ollie Wines is the same.

I hope Rozee enjoys the next two or so years. It will be his best football given how poorly Port take that raw talent and grow it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

There's a technical term, "butchering a talented young player's career".

Obviously the patron saint of butchering, John Butcher:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a technical term, "butchering a talented young player's career".

Obviously the patron saint of butchering, John Butcher:

Butcher is my all time favourite Port player. His set shots for goal inside 50, were epic.

I think downhill skiier would be more appropriate rather than barometer.
Pea Nut in Cricket you would call a Downhill skier a Flat track bully.
St Kilda+Carlton+Sydney have a few of them running around.
.Jack Darling,Branden Matera.Charlie Cameron, JJ,Chad Wingard,Tom Hawkins early in his career.

I am

How do you tell the difference between someone who is a match winner and someone who is a downhill skier?

Both have good games in wins, poor games in losses.

Match winners have good and great games in losses as well as wins. 0.0 in 5 losses compared to 20 goals in wins is a very obvious down hill skier. Having said that, there’s more to football than kicking goals.

Match winners have good and great games in losses as well as wins.
How are they match winners? If they are churning out A Grade games in losses then their performance is irrelevant to the result of the game (or their team completely sucks).

If you've got players who are churning out good games all the time - wins and losses - and others who play well in wins then who are the match winners? Is the team winning because these 'sometimes' players are up and about?

I've never really liked the downhill skier label. Of course players will play better in games where their team dominates, particularly forwards and outside mids.

The players I'm most suspicious of are the players who dazzle against bottom teams and stink against top teams - whether you win or lose.

Bad luck for the ex Panther but I never really thought he was an option for us with him next in line behind Tom Bellchambers who looks to be on the downward slope.
Bellchambers is a shocker, whose always carried that "potential" tag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back