List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Constable’a draft year I always thought he’ll be a damn good footballer but slide due to clubs going for the more athletic blokes over natural footballers. I was spewing when we overlooked him for Clavarino.

He hasn’t had a lot of exposed form at the top level but across 7 matches this year he is averaging 21.4 disposals suggests he’s a player. 191cm tall midfielder, good hands & a ball winner. A bit of Jobe Watson about him.

He has 10+ years ahead of him whereas Stuv probably has 2. A direct swap probably fair. The Cats would be mad to let him go.
Yeah I was surprised he slid as far as he did. I could understand the reasons for looking at Clav as we'd just taken Clark and Coffield but looking back I think it's fair to say we made a blue. If Constable was on our list now we'd be froffing.

Listening to Richo on SEN about what he thinks the Saints need with recruiting.

He mentioned he thinks things have changed and Marshall has well and truly exceeded expectations. He still thinks we need to find a back up for Marshall, but I'd be surprised if we were still in the hunt for a Goldstein type and I'd be even more surprised if we still planned on playing Marshall as a forward.
Richardson also confirmed that Jack Steven did desire a trade last year, but St Kilda said no.

IF Jack wants out at the end of the season there’s basically 3 ways it can go:

1. Do a deal with Geelong
  2. Try to enforce his contract
  3. Try to convince him to stay on

However if we go down the path of 2 or 3, what Jack would we be getting? The 2018 version or the 2019 one? Because while the former is far greater than say a Constable, the latter isn’t.

This isn’t just about age and the body slowing down. It’s about what Jack Steven is looking like in March 2020. And even if he can overcome whatever demons he’s dealing with, and rekindle his passion for footy, doubts must remain that he can once again put together a full and consistently elite season. That’s not having a go at him; it’s just trying to be realistic without knowing a great deal about his actual situation. The only things we do know and can form any sort of opinion are his age, his time away from footy and his current form and fitness as displayed at Sandy.

So IMO, IF he wants to go we’ve just got to make it happen. And not get too precious about what we receive for him.

And if Geelong win yet another flag, and if Jack gets to hang a premiership medal around his neck, then I won’t give a sh1t. In fact I’d be stoked; well for him anyway.

Yeah, Constable is a promising young kid playing in his second year of footy. It's hardly a surprise he can't keep a spot in a midfied of the top team.

Wasn't that long ago Hunter Clark and Nick Coffield were stuck in the VFL too.

Not sure what you think Jack is worth but unfortunately I don't think we'd get a lot more.

If we can turn him into a promising young mid that will likely play 10 years of footy than that might be a win.

He's played 7 games and collected at least 21 touches in 5 of those.

Clark and Coffield were top 10 draft picks. Constable was what, 40? Are Geelong going to Squeeze Jack into their 22? If so he’s obviously worth more than Constable to them. Don’t see why he should be worth less to us.

Richardson also confirmed that Jack Steven did desire a trade last year, but St Kilda said no.

I don’t think we could afford to trade Jack last year regardless of what’s happened this year. We were looking down the barrel and loosing Jack then would have been a huge blow.

At least this time we look like we have life after him.

IF Jack wants out at the end of the season there’s basically 3 ways it can go:

1. Do a deal with Geelong
  2. Try to enforce his contract
  3. Try to convince him to stay on

However if we go down the path of 2 or 3, what Jack would we be getting? The 2018 version or the 2019 one? Because while the former is far greater than say a Constable, the latter isn’t.

This isn’t just about age and the body slowing down. It’s about what Jack Steven is looking like in March 2020. And even if he can overcome whatever demons he’s dealing with, and rekindle his passion for footy, doubts must remain that he can once again put together a full and consistently elite season. That’s not having a go at him; it’s just trying to be realistic without knowing a great deal about his actual situation. The only things we do know and can form any sort of opinion are his age, his time away from footy and his current form and fitness as displayed at Sandy.

So IMO, IF he wants to go we’ve just got to make it happen. And not get too precious about what we receive for him.

And if Geelong win yet another flag, and if Jack gets to hang a premiership medal around his neck, then I won’t give a sh1t. In fact I’d be stoked; well for him anyway.

If Jack wants to go and Geelong want him, then they need to pay something.
If Geelong trade fairly and win another flag, good on them.
If they take advantage of Jack's issues to bend the Saints over, then #@%& them.

Complete rubbish that Geelong won’t overpay for Steven. They basically give away first rounders every year for the likes of Henderson and Tuoey (I know I’ve probably spelt that wrong). That’s what teams in contention do.

Constable and something else please.

I don’t think we could afford to trade Jack last year regardless of what’s happened this year. We were looking down the barrel and loosing Jack then would have been a huge blow.

At least this time we look like we have life after him.

"losing is not loosing "
We didn't think we could afford to trade him , but we got the huge blow anyway, we ended up with no Jack. He played 4 games carrying plugger's dim sims. (Sorry plugger you'll never see them again ).

If Jack wants to go and Geelong want him, then they need to pay something.
If Geelong trade fairly and win another flag, good on them.
If they take advantage of Jack's issues to bend the Saints over, then #@%& them.
I get all that.

My concern is if we hold Jack against his wishes then we run the risk of getting another 2019 version, which is basically a non player.

Try to get what we can, but if he really wants to go we can’t have a situation where the trade period finishes and he’s still at Moorabbin.

And I’m saying that as someone who loves Jack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clark and Coffield were top 10 draft picks. Constable was what, 40? Are Geelong going to Squeeze Jack into their 22? If so he’s obviously worth more than Constable to them. Don’t see why he should be worth less to us.
I think the further players go into their career, where they went in the draft becomes less relevant. Constable went 36 in 2017 but I've got no doubt he'd go higher if the draft was done again.

Comparing whether a 20 year old makes it into the 22 as opposed to a 30 year doesn't make a lot of sense.

One is building his game and has another 10 years of footy. The other is in the back end and may have 2 or 3 years left.

I'd be surprised if the Cats gave up Constable.

Daniher to Sydney will be interesting viewing. Lloyd has already said the price will be 2 first round picks which would include Sydney’s pick 4 (at the stage). The Dodoro show.
Tom Harly was on sen this morning and said they won’t be making any offers to him. He knows him from his AIS days and are mates and were simply catching up. It was at his house too so how the media caught wind is interesting! He sounded legit and not like a scheming campaigner. He actually speaks really well Tom

Complete rubbish that Geelong won’t overpay for Steven. They basically give away first rounders every year for the likes of Henderson and Tuoey (I know I’ve probably spelt that wrong). That’s what teams in contention do.

Constable and something else please.

Tuohy & Henderson were in their prime. Steven is no longer in his prime & sadly has MH issues. Geelong trading their future (& a draft pick) would be stupid. Paying too much for a guy who may not even get on the park would be idiotic. I’d rather them pick Steven up in 2021 as a UFA.

A broken hearted, skeptical sainter. His Dad, Des, ran the social club successfully for years. Not for the benefit of the club, either. Loves the saints.

Yeah it was an unbelievable set up... two separate entities that didn't get along!

A footy club with what appeared to be a social club to generate cash with the fly in the ointment being that the social club didn't share their profits!

Another for the 'only at St Kilda' file.

Is it a case of Steven wants Geelong or Geelong wants Steven? I’m sure to some extent they want each other but I think Steven wants Geelong more than the other way around. Just a guess but I think Geelong would be open to a deal however advise Steven that they’ll do their best but can’t guarantee anything. Steven may see out his contract with the Saints by virtue of his current health situation & not being an overly desirable trade target.

Constable is an interesting one... he's certainly a type of player that we could use. He & Bytel could give us some serious inside power if they realise their potential together.

He's a nice fall back plan to immediately improve the midfield if Crouch isn't gettable.

Based on the Gibbs and Beams trades last year and his current situation, I reckon Stuv is worth Geelong's 1st pick and change (maybe a 3rd). I'd strongly consider doing a deal like;

Stuv & an exchange of 2nd rounders next year (which might be a mid 20's pick for a late 30's pick) for pick 18 & Constable.

We've still got a pick in the 2nd round and Geelong will likely move up quite a few places (at least they'll bank on doing so)

Pick 18 can then be used towards Hill, who we just need to throw the coin at. Make him a offer he can't refuse that blows Melbourne and Hawthorn out of the water.

If that comes off we've got Hill & Constable in the door & still have our 1st pick in tact. We can take that to the draft or parlay it into other potential deals.

18 for Jack would be ideal.

Constable & 36 for Jack and 55 is realistic (possibly with Abbott thrown in).
I think this is close to what will happen if Constable is tradeable.

I'm pretty open to pick up someone like Constable who's more of a known quantity at this stage (we know he can get the ball at AFL level). It also gets us back into the second round.

I think we really need to be stockpiling midfielders at the moment. Yes we need a big fish or two but I want a very solid base around them when it happens (think the Montagna to your Hayes/Dal Santo/Goddard).

Constable is an interesting one... he's certainly a type of player that we could use. He & Bytel could give us some serious inside power if they realise their potential together.

He's a nice fall back plan to immediately improve the midfield if Crouch isn't gettable.

Based on the Gibbs and Beams trades last year and his current situation, I reckon Stuv is worth Geelong's 1st pick and change (maybe a 3rd). I'd strongly consider doing a deal like;

Stuv & an exchange of 2nd rounders next year (which might be a mid 20's pick for a late 30's pick) for pick 18 & Constable.

We've still got a pick in the 2nd round and Geelong will likely move up quite a few places (at least they'll bank on doing so)

Pick 18 can then be used towards Hill, who we just need to throw the coin at. Make him a offer he can't refuse that blows Melbourne and Hawthorn out of the water.

If that comes off we've got Hill & Constable in the door & still have our 1st pick in tact. We can take that to the draft or parlay it into other potential deals.
possibly too much in our favor mate. Last year we would've got that deal (plus maybe more) but not now. Even if he plays 3 great games to finish the year, i think we are accepting less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back