List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's also conveniently forgotten in all the 'limits Marshall's development' talk that having a true goal kicking ruckman who can rest forward and be highly effective is absolutely gold in today's footy. That's the next stage in Roma's development IMO... being able to play deep forward, clunk a few marks and finish of his work ala Spider.

It's this potential that has made Bruce expendable in the right circumstance.

Ryder is also currently 31 so would be turning 33 during the last year of his contract.
Recruitment of Ryder solves 2 problems:
1. Marshall is still learning the craft, and he is a good contested mark which can be used up forward when rested
2. We don’t have a reserve ruckman that is good at rucking/and rest forward.. a young ruckman can’t help immediately..

Apart from Ryder, we would probably want to draft 1 young ruck and rookie 1 ruck for sandie..

Last edited:
Newly appointed St Kilda coach Brett Ratten has provided an update on the trade situations surrounding Josh Bruce, Jake Carlisle and Jack Steven.

Carlisle and Bruce have been linked with moves out of the club, with the Saints looking to be active in the trade period.

Ratten however wishes to retain both players.

“Jake and Josh, they’re contracted players and I see them staying at the football club next year,” he told SEN’s Crunch Time.

“I don’t know where that’s going to go … they’re contracted and I see them staying at our footy club and that’s what I’ll be telling the players.”

As for Steven, many believe he will request a trade to Geelong to be closer to family as he deals with ongoing mental health issues.

“We want Jack to be happy and that’s the main thing for us,” Ratten said.

“He hasn’t been back into the club, but we just want to make sure Jack is happy.”

Ratten confirmed the club will look to be aggressive in the upcoming trade period and wants to bring in as much talent as possible.

“I can say we want to get talent into our football club. If that’s one person, two or four, we want to improve our list every year so if someone is out there with talent and they want to leave their football club, we’ll be interested to have a talk to them,” he said.

“We’ll sit down next week and start going through that, but we need to improve our list and if there’s players out there we think can add to our game plan and our style, we’ll bring them in for sure.”

Trade Period

Boys big trade news coming up. Not in the press.
tenor.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t know what it is yet, but’s it’s gonna be a surprise. Good or bad I don’t know. I will find out more. Keeping everyone updated, although is that a good thing?
Will we know today??

I thought Menegola had a good game last night. He's a damn good player, probably lacked consistency at times, but would love us to have a crack at him, especially if Stuv is moving that way.
My Cats mates despise him. Panic merchant. I’ve never noticed it, but they will watch more closely. You’re right, thought he was handy last night.

This Virgin Dog guy is such a troll
He’s actually not at all, just because he barracks for another team doesn’t automatically make him the enemy.
Happens to everyone who comes to this board, obviously the exception being Sir toxic

Runs slowly both ways.
Mckenzie is very fast, but can’t get the ball or use it when he gets it.. Is patty cripps fast? I don’t think so, but he can get the ball and is a gun.. we need footballers, not atheletes, if Constable can get it near 30 times a game consistently .. which none of our current young mids can do.. then it’s a huge tick.

They didn't wok out but they have drafted well with high picks was what I was saying in my original post. Those two haven't worked out as well. Yes it was injury but looks like Freeman wasn't that good in comparison to the others.

Freeman was an absolute jet in U18s.

Talk about re-writing history to suit yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My worry is that we do to Ratten what Carlton did to him and trade away players and set him up to fail. Ratts might not have a say seeing as we had already drawn up a strategy before he was even 100% in the job.

I hate trade period because we seem to get excited about guns and end up with rubbish but not before threats of losing favourite sons and best 22 players and replacing them with players that are no upgrade. Most fans of AFL clubs can get excited about finals or at least have faith that their club get 90% of their drafting and trading right. I feel like I endure the season then have to worry about enduring the trade and draft period. At the end of it I celebrate when we haven't sustained too much damage.

I look at Collingwood and their drafting & trading, after Scharenberg and Freeman stuff ups they have gone on to get Grundy, Stephenson and De Grey, three absolute superstars and traded for Treloar another gun. They have done well in both.
Gringo every team have had failures - and it's easy to pick the guts out of every team - not just ours

Wells was no great trade 15 games in 3 years and was said to of been signed on 600k a year , Beams also looks to be a massive blunder and said to be on 800k and with injuries and mental health issues doesn't look too good.

Then you look at a few of the guys the picked up like Greenwood , he has done a good job but truly this should of been his last year , but no they sign him on for another year and then he does his ACL last night , then the kid who was done for drugs , also they have persisted with a lot of players who have been crock's - Goldsack , Ried , Elliott , Scharenberg , Moore.
and apart from Stephenson who is a absolute star there kids look far from impressive.

F Appleby
10​
1​
3.0​
4.0​
7.0​
2.0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
1.0​
0​
1.0​
1.0​
0​
3.0​
1.0​
25.0​
21.0​
I Quaynor
4​
4​
8.8​
5.8​
14.5​
4.5​
0​
0​
0.2​
2.8​
2.5​
0​
1.0​
0.5​
0.5​
1.5​
2.0​
60.8​
60.2​
N Murphy
2​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
A Bosenavulagi
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
T Brown
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
M Keane
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
W Kelly
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
M Lynch
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
A Tohill

but the problem for them this year is replacing the aging players they have in the team because just looking at the guys who are 29 next year or over there is a hell of a lot and they will need everyone one of there draft picks to fill the list.
Beams 29yrs 6mths
Cox 28yrs 5mths
Dunn 32yrs 3mths
Goldsack 32yrs 3mths
Greenwood 30yrs 6mths

Howe 29yrs 2mths
Mayne 30yrs 10mths
Pendleberry 31yrs 7mths
Reid 30yrs 4mths
Roughead 28yrs 10mths
Sidebottom 28yrs 8mths
Varcoe 31yrs 4mths
Wells 34yrs 7mths

So they have a minimum of 6 or 7 new players to get into the team , even before cutting the players not up to speed.

One thing for sure they will have enough cap space to pay Grundy what he wants and pick up a couple good players to fill there needs.

I predict the Magpies will go hard after Bruce and Carlisle.

This is what makes our squad so impressive
, we have hardly any guys that are ready for pasture and the ones we do have are there for leadership and mentoring - Geary and Brown.

Anyway being a Saints supporter it is very easy to look over the fence and look at Grundy , Stephenson and the likes but on our side of the fence we have 3/4s of our team who are 23 or under and most of them are highly rated draft picks developing into the stars we have been dreaming of.
Marshall , Battle , Steele , Max King , Hunter Clark , Coffield , Clavarino , Paton , Gresham , Wilkie , Bytel , Long , White , Phillips , Parker , McKenzie , Joyce , Mayo , Marsh , Lonie , Langlands , Acres , Alakbakas and we have another 16 players under 29

that is 39 players under 29yrs of age
leaving only
Geary
Brown
Steven
Rowe
Armitage

over 29yrs of age and by the sounds only Geary and Brown could be at the club next year.

In saying our club has just about the youngest squad in the AFL doesn't mean much if it is stacked with spuds - but it's not.

Marshall has come out of no where , Billings is closer now to A grade than B grade after his body has developed and this will be the case with most of the squad , the same goes with Gresham , when Dunstan was dropped for 4 games from round 4 to 7 they gave Gresham more time in the middle and the round 4 game was named best of ground - so he has shown he can play the position but it's just more development in stamina and he will be overtaking Dunstan in the middle for sure.

As for Hunter Clark and Coffield they just look to ooze class and will be star players , then you look at Max King - highly touted with his brother from when they where 15 / every team had them on there radar , well we snagged Max and to tell you the truth the best then that could of happened was him stuffing up his knee because if he didn't we would not of got him.
Now we have a absolute star in the making and in the years to come we will see how astute the selection was.

Another draft selection was Bytel , when he injured his back in his draft pick he went from a highly touted top 10 pick to something in the 40s - people like Power who was his coach believed he was one of the best kids in the draft and seeing the kid beat Walsh in one of his junior games shows he has the talent to make a name for him self.

The future is bright and getting Hannebery into the team who has been mocked will pay dividends as he started to show in the few games he played.
Round 14 - 27 possessions
Round 15 - 23
Round 21 - 23
Round 22 - 24
Round 23 - 28

We pick up Brad Hill and another quality midfielder like a Brad Crouch we are playing finals and will be for many years to come.

Disagree on Ryder, couldn't find a less useful trade. He's 33 or something and not even regularly in his current side who aren't playing finals. Stalls development.
must admit Ryder is well past used by date - I'd rather a younger average performer as a back up - Andrew Phillips from Carlton would do the trick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back