List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Narkle is from WA, Constable is from Sandringham and is former teammates with current Saints players. I think I know which one we'd be more likely to attract.

Having said that, I love Narkle, I seem flashes of Stuv in his game. Constable is that big mid accumulator who would go real well in our colours, not convinced he could play with Spook and other slow mids though.

Freeman was know for his break away speed from the contest , after 28,000 hammies no wander the bloke couldn't run fast anymore so its a bit harsh to say he was no good

Freeman's issue wasn't that he couldn't run fast any more. It was that he didn't trust himself to run at top speed for fear of breaking down.

As mush as I loved the kid and wanted him to play, his pace was his biggest weapon. If he wasn't going to have the confidence to pull the trigger and use it then he wasn't any better than alot of C+ mids.

Watching the druggies a few times this year i dont think that throwing two first round pics for blokes like sheil , Gaff ect is worth it . Sheil gets his 20-28 touches a game but he doesnt really hurt you, in fact thinking back i cant remember a bloke who would be worth two first rounders except Gazza jnr and Judd in their prime.

When we had two first rounders , we got Clark and Coffield. CLark is just starting to show us what he can do, and it'll be good. Coffield maybe not such a highlight, but he will be an AFL player.
Imagine missing them both for a guy who might retire in 5 years.

Anyone watching the VFL?

Jordan sweet’s ruckwork is very...sweet.

I'd take the Dogs 1st and Sweet for Bruce and a pick. Might need to swap a future 2nd for their 4th or something but it'd be a nice pick up.

Also 2nd the call on Menagola. Id Scott doesn't rate him in the 22 (and wont give up Constable) then give us Menagola and Nate Kreuger for Steven.

Oh well, we'll see how it plays out I guess. Not my first choice. I want someone who'll not take games off Marshall.
I don't think anyone will take games off Marshall , not stating the the obvious but any ruckman who can pickup
24 disps (15 kicks 9 hballs), 7 marks, 4 tackles, 24 hitouts and a goal in Rd 11 70-pt loss to Port Adelaide at Jiangwan Stadium (2 Jun 2019)
in his first year as a ruckman is a A - grade ruckman and in this game he played against 2 rucks in Lycett and Ryder.

I know Jonathon Ceglar is showing interest of getting to Brisbane for more opportunity, but with Martin re-signing & the improvement of Smith he may struggle there as well. Think the powers to be should get in his ear as he’d probably get more of a run with us. Would only be 29 going into next season, so we would get more years out of him than Ryder, very handy man to have resting in a forward pocket.

When we had two first rounders , we got Clark and Coffield. CLark is just starting to show us what he can do, and it'll be good. Coffield maybe not such a highlight, but he will be an AFL player.
Imagine missing them both for a guy who might retire in 5 years.
Not sure if your being a smartass or serious , in any case Coff will be a very good player and Clark has alredy shown he is a class act

Its worth holding onto Acres for the time being given his versatility and potential, he needs to improve his kicking but im not holiding my breath. Could be traded
If it was down to me I'd be sending Blake to the VFL for a minimum of 6 weeks, play him as the number one mid only and let him get a rhythm, find as many touches as possible, no rucking, no third forward, find out if he can average 35 touches in the VFL and work out how to transfer that to the AFL, if he can't then trade him out next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A slow moving Constable can still be quite effective 👍🏻

View attachment 742025
he picked up a lazy 35 possessions last week - so I think he would slot into our team nicely - I would take him for a straight swap for Steven

Gelong pair Charlie Constable and Ryan Abbott could be used as potential sweeteners to boost the club’s hopes of landing St Kilda star Jack Steven.

According to Fox Footy, the Saints will listen to suitable offers for the four-time best and fairest winner if there is a mutual parting of ways.

Steven, who turns 30 in March, has one year remaining on his contract and has missed a considerable portion of the season to deal with a mental health issue.

If a trade is forthcoming, Geelong youngster Constable could seek a move in the opposite direction amid reported frustration with a lack of opportunities at senior level.

The 20-year-old is contracted until the end of 2021 and has played just seven games since he was selected at pick No.36 in the 2017 NAB AFL Draft.

Like Constable, Abbott is also understood to be exploring his options having fallen behind the likes of Rhys Stanley, Zac Smith and Darcy Fort in the ruck pecking order.

Abbott, 28, is contracted to Geelong until at least the end of 2020.

If it was down to me I'd be sending Blake to the VFL for a minimum of 6 weeks, play him as the number one mid only and let him get a rhythm, find as many touches as possible, no rucking, no third forward, find out if he can average 35 touches in the VFL and work out how to transfer that to the AFL, if he can't then trade him out next year.
He’s already done that when playing VFL, then comes back in to play forward.

Parker and long are the ones I’d be pumping midfield games into in the VFL, both just need to find a lot more of the ball.

Constable was a class above – with his clean disposal - He will be playing for us next year

Charlie Constable OVERVIEW

Charlie Constable has had a strong year at all levels, playing at either end of the ground or in as an inside midfielder. Standing at 190cm, Constable is the modern prototype of midfielders – where he wins the contested ball and dishes it out to teammates by hand with ease. In games filled with fumbles and skill errors throughout the National AFL Under 18 Championships, Constable was a class above – with his clean disposal and smarts on full show. Whilst he might lack some speed and endurance that other of the top midfielders have, he is a pure midfielder who wins the football, gets to the right spots, disposes of the ball well and plays in a similar mould to Carlton’s Patrick Cripps.

STRENGTHS

• Footy IQ
  • Contested ball winning
  • Versatile
  • Clearance work
  • Marking inside 50

Constable’s footy IQ is through the roof. His smarts on the inside and across either arches allow him to read the play and know where to run to receive the ball. While he doesn’t have the athletic traits that others do from the stoppages, his smarts to find a teammate with ease under pressure is outstanding. His can collect the ball by a handball receive or pick it up off the ground – where he doesn’t fumble and gets it to a teammate, mostly by hand – but on occasions via his right foot.

While not a full-time inside midfielder just yet, Constable will mould into that type of player. His contested possession percentage of 50 per cent in the TAC Cup – where he played mostly in the centre suggest that he has the capabilities to win the one-on-one contests in the midfield battle. At 190cm, the contested ball winning will appeal to clubs inside the first round.

Constable showed his versatility in the National AFL Under 18 Championships, where he played across half-forward and through the midfield. Constable averaged 26 disposals, five marks, four tackles and three inside 50s in a different role. At school level for Haileybury College and at times for the Sandringham Dragons, Constable was often deployed across half back where he would read the play well and intercept the ball. In the final APS school round for the year, Constable collected 46 disposals in the midfield against Geelong Grammar – with plenty of AFL club recruiters watching on.

Constable’s clearance work has been very good for the Sandringham Dragons throughout the season, averaging 4.2 clearances per game. In the Dragons’ clash with the Bendigo Pioneers at Trevor Barker Oval during the school holidays, Constable was the clear best player on the ground with 29 disposals, 11 clearances and three goals. His clean skills and footy IQ make him a damaging player on the inside, winning the ball in the coalface to get the ball out to his teammates.

Constable has shown he can push forward and mark the ball well inside 50. In the same clash, Constable collected seven marks and booted multiple set shot goals from the north end of the ground. Constable has averaged over five marks in both the TAC Cup and the NAB AFL Under 18 Championships this season. The positive from this is that while he might not be right to start the season as a full-time midfielder at the next level, clubs can use Constable as a 190cm marking target up forward, or across half back where he is willing to intercept the ball.

IMPROVEMENTS

• Speed
  • Endurance

Of the other midfielders set to feature in the first round on draft night, Constable’s 20m preseason sprint time of 3.052 seconds is one of the slower times set. On the inside at times you can notice that he doesn’t have the burst speed to break away from his opponents, however Constable plays within his limitations – preferring to dish the ball off by hand to his teammates that can break away from the stoppages on the outside.

Constable has battled a few injuries over the last two seasons, missing a large chunk of 2016 with injury and battling a groin injury in the latter part of the Sandringham Dragons’ finals campaign. This has affected his endurance at times, and while he has the ability to run out games – it possibly was a factor why Constable was left out of the Vic Metro trip to Western Australia, due to the bigger dimensions of Domain Stadium. In TAC Cup preseason testing, Constable ran a 12.9 beep test – a number that most other midfielders reach into the 13-14 mark.

While both Constable’s speed and endurance are lower than other midfielders – a perfect comparison is Carlton midfielder Patrick Cripps who ran a 3.23 second 20m sprint time and a 13.2 beep score at the 2013 National AFL Combine.

DRAFT PROJECTION: 7-20

SUMMARY

Whilst Constable might lack the athletic traits, he’s a pure midfielder who gives his all with every game he plays. He has the football smarts and clean skills to get out of traffic and dispose of the ball under pressure, winning the clearances and the contested ball. Throughout the National AFL Under 18 Championships, he showed he could be versatile playing as a 6th forward or defender, but his best position long-term should be as an inside midfielder. If he can improve his tank and work hard during the preseason, there’s no reason that Constable couldn’t be running out during the early part of season 2018 for his new club.

Constable was a class above – with his clean disposal - He will be playing for us next year

Charlie Constable OVERVIEW

Charlie Constable has had a strong year at all levels, playing at either end of the ground or in as an inside midfielder. Standing at 190cm, Constable is the modern prototype of midfielders – where he wins the contested ball and dishes it out to teammates by hand with ease. In games filled with fumbles and skill errors throughout the National AFL Under 18 Championships, Constable was a class above – with his clean disposal and smarts on full show. Whilst he might lack some speed and endurance that other of the top midfielders have, he is a pure midfielder who wins the football, gets to the right spots, disposes of the ball well and plays in a similar mould to Carlton’s Patrick Cripps.

STRENGTHS

• Footy IQ
  • Contested ball winning
  • Versatile
  • Clearance work
  • Marking inside 50

Constable’s footy IQ is through the roof. His smarts on the inside and across either arches allow him to read the play and know where to run to receive the ball. While he doesn’t have the athletic traits that others do from the stoppages, his smarts to find a teammate with ease under pressure is outstanding. His can collect the ball by a handball receive or pick it up off the ground – where he doesn’t fumble and gets it to a teammate, mostly by hand – but on occasions via his right foot.

While not a full-time inside midfielder just yet, Constable will mould into that type of player. His contested possession percentage of 50 per cent in the TAC Cup – where he played mostly in the centre suggest that he has the capabilities to win the one-on-one contests in the midfield battle. At 190cm, the contested ball winning will appeal to clubs inside the first round.

Constable showed his versatility in the National AFL Under 18 Championships, where he played across half-forward and through the midfield. Constable averaged 26 disposals, five marks, four tackles and three inside 50s in a different role. At school level for Haileybury College and at times for the Sandringham Dragons, Constable was often deployed across half back where he would read the play well and intercept the ball. In the final APS school round for the year, Constable collected 46 disposals in the midfield against Geelong Grammar – with plenty of AFL club recruiters watching on.

Constable’s clearance work has been very good for the Sandringham Dragons throughout the season, averaging 4.2 clearances per game. In the Dragons’ clash with the Bendigo Pioneers at Trevor Barker Oval during the school holidays, Constable was the clear best player on the ground with 29 disposals, 11 clearances and three goals. His clean skills and footy IQ make him a damaging player on the inside, winning the ball in the coalface to get the ball out to his teammates.

Constable has shown he can push forward and mark the ball well inside 50. In the same clash, Constable collected seven marks and booted multiple set shot goals from the north end of the ground. Constable has averaged over five marks in both the TAC Cup and the NAB AFL Under 18 Championships this season. The positive from this is that while he might not be right to start the season as a full-time midfielder at the next level, clubs can use Constable as a 190cm marking target up forward, or across half back where he is willing to intercept the ball.

IMPROVEMENTS

• Speed
  • Endurance

Of the other midfielders set to feature in the first round on draft night, Constable’s 20m preseason sprint time of 3.052 seconds is one of the slower times set. On the inside at times you can notice that he doesn’t have the burst speed to break away from his opponents, however Constable plays within his limitations – preferring to dish the ball off by hand to his teammates that can break away from the stoppages on the outside.

Constable has battled a few injuries over the last two seasons, missing a large chunk of 2016 with injury and battling a groin injury in the latter part of the Sandringham Dragons’ finals campaign. This has affected his endurance at times, and while he has the ability to run out games – it possibly was a factor why Constable was left out of the Vic Metro trip to Western Australia, due to the bigger dimensions of Domain Stadium. In TAC Cup preseason testing, Constable ran a 12.9 beep test – a number that most other midfielders reach into the 13-14 mark.

While both Constable’s speed and endurance are lower than other midfielders – a perfect comparison is Carlton midfielder Patrick Cripps who ran a 3.23 second 20m sprint time and a 13.2 beep score at the 2013 National AFL Combine.

DRAFT PROJECTION: 7-20

SUMMARY

Whilst Constable might lack the athletic traits, he’s a pure midfielder who gives his all with every game he plays. He has the football smarts and clean skills to get out of traffic and dispose of the ball under pressure, winning the clearances and the contested ball. Throughout the National AFL Under 18 Championships, he showed he could be versatile playing as a 6th forward or defender, but his best position long-term should be as an inside midfielder. If he can improve his tank and work hard during the preseason, there’s no reason that Constable couldn’t be running out during the early part of season 2018 for his new club.
Reality check... Constable is contracted until 2021. Did you see Geelong last night? Why would they trade a promising young midfielder to us? Not going to happen.

Unfortunately for us we had our chance to take Constable and instead took Clavarino. Clav may well end up a good player, but that was our shot at Constable I'm afraid, or at least until Constable comes out of contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back