List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
few things we need to remember ...
1. we are not unlike Gold Coast in the fact that the media dont take St Kilda seriously, any players value at St Kilda is lowered compared to that of a player at Hawthorn or Collingwood ..
2. the trade period hasnt even started so the media need to push anything to get you listening to their show when realistically nothing is actualy happening - so what better way to get people listening than making outlandish claims Jack Steven for pick 90 gets all the saints fans listening and all the geelong fans listening
3. our club isnt run by idiots .. we make mistakes (as do all clubs) so anything that is reported that makes us look like total dumbarses is either grossly exagerated or blatently made up rubbish
4. no player is bigger than the club .. if we do trade Jack and Bruce then while it would be sad to see them go ite pales in comparison to losing Goddard, Dal, Plugger, Spida, big Carl, Ian Stewart..............
5. take a deep breath ... no trade is a trade until the paper work is signed and lodged to the AFL ... litterally thousands of trade options wil get floated every year but the actual trades only accounts for a small handfull of moves each year ...

I think it’s funny how everyone thinks we just started speaking to Gold Coast. Like we haven’t had discussions for months.

I still think king will be a saint in 2021. Your only hope is if Adelaide implode and the suns need picks.

The ultimate dream. We land Bing and Adelaide implode. Doesn’t get much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Media is media. Whatever happens happens, and the totality of the Trade period is the most important thing, not any individual deals.

If Jack is gone, Jack is gone, I've come to terms with that, and that we'll be getting unders (late 2nd round, early 3rd round).

But if we are partially covering Jack's salary as well, I'd simply rather pay him his Salary to play down in Lorne than I would pay him a portion to play for the Cats, unless there's a consequential increase in draft pick value.

Yes but the large part of that is us getting bugger all back for losing jack steven.

That is going to happen no matter what though because of factors outside our control.
So it's all about making the best of a bad situation.

Ryder is basically for free by all accounts- pick 60 or something so we can remove him from the equation entirely.

Bruce and steven for gray and jones?

Very meh, but if we are committed to a future that doesn't include bruce (ie we are mega confident in getting ben king), then we lose any power we have in driving a hard bargain for him.
Because we simply don't want to keep him.

We can only play hardball on bruce if we were genuinely happy to keep him (which we evidentally aren't).

Therefore, like with steven- it's a case of making the best of the situation.

I think jones and gray are ho-hum in's... but they are best 22 and young enough to still improve.

Once you accept the reality that there IS no option where bruce and steven stay... it makes the ho-hum in's like gray and jones far more palatable.

its simplistic just to talk about ins and outs.
If gave them both away for nothing and got Jones and Gray with next years draft picks, you could still say Bruce and Steven out Gray and Jones in.
Doesn't make it good.
Can we spare the David King maths for dummies please.

If we pay Jacks salary , we need a decent pick. We deserve what we can get for Josh Bruce, just because someone headhunts him , doesn't mean we stick him out on the nature stip.

Lol some twit on trade radio just rang in under the impression that the Saints wanted to offload Jack for salary cap purposes.

Ok let’s go on the journey
Whitfield to the saints any chance...Guby Allan right into him I imagine...will GWS go early before he is a free agent this year. He is much needed on our list and would be a very good pickup in terms of class around the footy and would make Billings a much better player..if it isn’t Bing this year why not go for Lachie...?? I know GwS have been into Gresham for years now...would we consider a Gresham trade for Whitfield..? I wouldn’t but a few pages back Moorabbin Ghost suggested he wasn’t as untouchable as we assume..?
Long story short, NO. Don't want GWS players, trade price too high, wages too high.

How does that improve our team? You are trading away our best midfielder and Dual Bnf winner. The narrative on this board is that Ross is s**t. But he beat out 3 blokes who had great years this year to claim the Bnf.

I think it says more about the biased voting than Ross’s performance.

its simplistic just to talk about ins and outs.
If gave them both away for nothing and got Jones and Gray with next years draft picks, you could still say Bruce and Steven out Gray and Jones in.
Doesn't make it good.
Can we spare the David King maths for dummies please.

If we pay Jacks salary , we need a decent pick. We deserve what we can get for Josh Bruce, just because someone headhunts him , doesn't mean we stick him out on the nature stip.

Lol some twit on trade radio just rang in under the impression that the Saints wanted to offload Jack for salary cap purposes.
Why are we talking about paying Jack's salary , Geelong have more than enough cap space - Scot Selwood , Harry Taylor leaving would more than pay for it.
There also doubt's on Ablett and of course Kelly is moving on.
And if Geelong want him so bad pick 17 seems about right for a 4 time best and fairest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are we talking about paying Jack's salary , Geelong have more than enough cap space - Scot Selwood , Harry Taylor leaving would more than pay for it.
There also doubt's on Ablett and of course Kelly is moving on.
And if Geelong want him so bad pick 17 seems about right for a 4 time best and fairest.
I wish you were right , but no way will they give us pick 17

What does it matter who's in the forward line if there's no one to kick it too? Even plugger needed people to give him the ball.

No, he didn't. He willed the ball into his area, and the end result inevitably followed. In his first 4 years, you could hardly say anyone was capable of getting him the ball in the manner we normally expect of an AFL standard player. GOAT. Freak. Never be another like him. Oh, wait..........Max King says, "Hold my beer."

This is not directed at you mate but why do a fair few on here think that when we get players from other clubs they are leaders , Ryder isn't a leader with his assault history , Hanners isnt either as he always seems to have a sniffle , just because they have played at other clubs it doesnt make them a leader

There’s more than one way to be a leader.

Was Lenny a poor leader after getting into a scrap at the Prince of Wales with Vossy, G-Train & co?

Smith undoubtedly is IMO, as is Hanners.

Ryder? Never really showed much in the way of team leadership.

We should be saying exactly the same thing Peter Bell just said to us; to WB - we'd love for Brucey to take the significant financial opportunity in front of him; but the onus is on WB to offer an attractive deal to us.

BTW does anyone know what the AFL's secret magical compensation formula is? What does 700k x 4 for a 27 year old get?

It would undoubtedly be band 1 compo

I wish you were right , but no way will they give us pick 17
Why not try for it though?
They'll have plenty of picks from Kelly, and we can pay plenty Jacks salary.
If Jack was firing on all cylinders we'd say 17 wasn't enough, so it's within the band of the "discount" for his problems.
If they think they're a sniff for a premiership next year then they'll be inclined to focus on the benefits.

We paid $800,000 for him to not play for us this year we may as well pay $200,000 for him to not play for us next year. It's not like we don't have the cap space, just wan't him off our list at this point.

The club don't want him of our list, that doesn't help us at all.
Its Jack who MAY want to be in Geelong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back