List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lazy,selfish and cost us direct goals when his attitude stinks, could he of played against the Tigers.

Could had of played v the Tigers but because he is so selfish and lazy elected to be with his partner at the birth of his child in a pandemic year, what a prick hey?

Would be happy to give games to Bytel/Byrnes next year in place of Ross. His performance has dropped off the last 2 years and has played more average games than good ones. Playing 2 half decent games in the finals doesn't paper over the average year he has had. Multiple people were calling for him to be dropped this year and last year.

Would be happy to take anything around pick 15 for him.

Could had of played v the Tigers but because he is so selfish and lazy elected to be with his partner at the birth of his child in a pandemic year, what a prick hey?
To be honest i think Jake should have played but understand why he didn't. My take is that Jake only plays well when the game means something or if we are in the game. He doesn't play every minute the same. He is a big game player. This could rub a coach the wrong way especially if the coach is about team, work ethic and effort no matter what.

Also why i can't see him going the roos and staying at saints for 1 year with a trigger for two. But if a bigger club swoop in he is gone.
We wont put him on three years as I really believe our club has every intention of Ben King at CHB in 2022. That's why if Jake does move on we may need to make do next year with Battle or even Majak or Clav

BJ reckons Blues have a better list than us long-term hahaha, when will these blokes learn? How long have people been boosting blues up as “ThE bESt yOuNg LiSt iN thE CoMp”?!
True and that’s why they missed out on finals again! What a crock. Been waiting years for Carlton to come good.

Why is anyone fired up about what media personalities say about lists?

their job is to attact advertisers, advertisers want ratings, ratings are easiest to get by pandering to large supporter bases

hence Essendon, pies, tigers, blues will always get more air time in vic

we fix this by becoming a big club (like the hawks did)

tipping we have 70k members by 2023, given the current crew we have off field and the latent basin and wealth of supporter base.

At present, I don't necessarily want to lose Ross unless we have coverage. But if we do anything over 20 I'd be disappointed. Yeah, he has his flaws but we are talking about one of our best 22. And a dual BnF winner. And VC to boot.
If it’s anything like our previous BF winner its a pick in the 50s and paying part of his wage 😀

To be honest i think Jake should have played but understand why he didn't. My take is that Jake only plays well when the game means something or if we are in the game. He doesn't play every minute the same. He is a big game player. This could rub a coach the wrong way especially if the coach is about team, work ethic and effort no matter what.

Also why i can't see him going the roos and staying at saints for 1 year with a trigger for two. But if a bigger club swoop in he is gone.
We wont put him on three years as I really believe our club has every intention of Ben King at CHB in 2022. That's why if Jake does move on we may need to make do next year with Battle or even Majak or Clav

I think you could be right about bing 2022, but i think if that were the case- we'd be in the market for a stop gap FB like tarrant etc, not a stopgap CHB.
Howard would do a great job at CHB for a couple of years with a nathan brown type stopgap at FB.

That's a far better situation than sacrificing battle down back or having guys like clav or daw etc in the best 22 at CHB.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BJ reckons Blues have a better list than us long-term hahaha, when will these blokes learn? How long have people been boosting blues up as “ThE bESt yOuNg LiSt iN thE CoMp”?!
They just have a lot of names that haven't actually done anything. They picked Dow and Lochie O'brien with picks 3 and 10 in 2017 which have turned out to be spuds. I would rather Paton (at 46) than either of those.

Dow in particular has been such a bad pick when you consider Cerra, Clark, Coffield and Naughton were all taken after him. He is the type of player they need but just hasn't come on and doesn't look like he will make it (maybe a bit Dunstan-esque).

The one thing they have over us is that they nailed their pick 1's (Weitering and Walsh) and drafted Cripps. But not sure they have more talent than us. Would you rather:

Carlton: Weitering, Cripps, Walsh, Curnow, McKay, Dow and Stocker
St Kilda: King, Steele, Marshall, Clark, Coffield, Paton, Battle and Bytel

Last edited:
In 2004-5 we spruiked we had a better young list than Geelong and they also laughed at us....smells similar in many ways. Hopefully our dynasty last 10+ years

They just have a lot of names that haven't actually done anything. They picked Dow and Lochie O'brien with picks 3 and 10 in 2017 which have turned out to be spuds. I would rather Paton (at 46) than either of those.

Dow in particular has been such a bad pick when you consider Cerra, Clark, Coffield and Naughton were all taken after him. It just looks like he is not going to make it. He is the type of player they need but just hasn't come on.

The one thing they have over us is that they nailed their pick 1's (Weitering and Walsh) and drafted Cripps. But not sure they have more talent than us. Would you rather:

Carlton: Walsh, Cripps, Weitering, Curnow, McKay, Dow, Stocker

St Kilda: King, Marshall, Clark, Coffield, Steele, Paton, Battle, Bytel

Could of stopped at King and i would still say us.

So at a minimum its going to cost a second
But not a first or third

Right
View attachment 997458
i m a Saint, so of course i want to have faith in the longevity of our list if and when we get it right, however maybe its the last 150 years of our history, we havent exactly done long term that well. I think there's an in built lack of belief in the long term Saints ability to handle success. With the guys at the helm now i hope we can change that.

Dow in particular has been such a bad pick when you consider Cerra, Clark, Coffield and Naughton were all taken after him. It just looks like he is not going to make it. He is the type of player they need but just hasn't come on.

Carlton: Walsh, Cripps, Weitering, Curnow, McKay, Dow, Stocker

St Kilda: King, Marshall, Clark, Coffield, Steele, Paton, Battle, Bytel

Last edited:
He's right, we have bugger all to offer to trade for Crouch. They take compensation or GTFO.
Like the Hawks did for Buddy, the Saints did for North and Goddard.

i highly highly doubt that's the approach the club is taking

i highly highly doubt that's the approach the club is taking
Agreed like it or not, they will move heaven and earth to get him to our club.

And I guess I'm kind of okay with that. Crouch and Higgins in, a bit more play into the core and some good young kids like Bytel and Byrnes to improve.

Delicious

If we could somehow flip Seb Ross for a developing key back/utility (with us also going an extra pick) I think that would be a win.

Fits an area of need. Means that we would in effect be turning Ross into Crouch and filling an area of need and getting an extra pick.

It also stops us from having too many mids which allows more opportunities for Clark and Bytel.

Would be happy with this, as I think our trajectory in defence is looking great with smalls and medium defenders, but I see a lot of gaps in KPP dept. With Brown gone and Carlisle only having a season or two left, we are looking thin down back. Wilkie is great and very capable for the most part, but isn't as good on big forwards. Battle is the same. Would love to see another tall defender who can help Howard and take over from Carlisle when the time comes. Keep Wilkie and Battle on the medium talls.

Higgins can Absolutely play Midfield, last year from memory rounds 5-7 when Cotchin was out, Pickett hadn't come on the scene yet, Jack Ross wasn't playing, and Bolton wasn't playing consistent football Higgins played midfield and had 25,25,24 in consecutive weeks he was running at 75% and 350 meters Gain per game.

Full time Mid? NO.

changing with Gresh forward YES

he plays high minutes and in those 3 games was averaging 92 minutes per game.

his pressure acts are elite and he can sniff a goal.

29 out of 30 in the combine kicking test and this from an article i read around his draft time.

" In the 33 games Champion Data has covered Higgins throughout his junior career, he has averaged 145 ranking points — the best average figure ever recorded by the AFL’s official number crunchers, beating Tom Rockliff’s record of 144"

he adds genuine excitement and will spread his enthusiasm from all accounts he lives and breaths the game.

make this happen, he's a perfect fit for us.

Agreed like it or not, they will move heaven and earth to get him to our club.

And I guess I'm kind of okay with that. Crouch and Higgins in, a bit more play into the core and some good young kids like Bytel and Byrnes to improve.

Delicious

spot on, i mean lethers himself has spoken on this in the past about the need to get the deal done once the player nominates your club

the difference between say a Daniher and Papely, is they were long shots to begin with, given the contract status of the player and the importance of the player.

crouch isn't in that boat, he's uncontracted and adelaide were not interested in re-signing him. it's a completely different scenario.

the idea we are going to be like "hey take the compo or he's yours" is just so outlandish it's not going to happen

the reality is if Adelaide match and crouch still wants to come to us, then we will try get a trade done if not take him in the draft ala martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back