Prediction 2021 Draft Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

For those who aren’t quite in a position to do a full phantom draft, but who would still like to have a go at predicting the draft, please use this thread to post your predictions :)

The current draft order is available in the pinned thread, here:

In accordance with board rules, phantom drafts which do not fulfil the requirements of a full first round using the current draft order (at time of posting), and preferably with a bit of explanation and willingness to explain your decisions, may also be merged into this thread.

Following the Trade Period, the current order for the first round of the draft is:

1. North Melbourne
  2. GWS Giants
  3. Gold Coast Suns
  4. Adelaide
  5. Hawthorn
  6. Fremantle
  7. Richmond
  8. Fremantle
  9. St Kilda
  10. West Coast Eagles
  11. Essendon
  12. Port Adelaide
  13. GWS Giants
  14. Brisbane Lions
  15. Richmond
  16. Sydney Swans
  17. Melbourne
  18. Brisbane Lions

Last edited:
Same could be said of JHF who explicitly said he wants the mantle of being number 1 pick.

Or of any other top draft pick, who also wants to be recognised for their performances amongst their peers.

Personally I think it’s a bit pointless seeking validation through external recognition though. Getting drafted is just a gateway into the system.

It really all means nothing once the player is on a list.
I don't reckon JHF really wants that number one spot as desperately as the media sets it out. In the interview where he does say "I want to be the number one pick" he is prompted by the interviewers with a question similar to "I know Petracca, Walsh, and Rowell all wanted the prestige of number 1 really badly, do you?" and not "What's a big goal for you?". They've kind of forced this narrative on him, but hey it's not a bad narrative to have.

I don't reckon JHF really wants that number one spot as desperately as the media sets it out. In the interview where he does say "I want to be the number one pick" he is prompted by the interviewers with a question similar to "I know Petracca, Walsh, and Rowell all wanted the prestige of number 1 really badly, do you?" and not "What's a big goal for you?". They've kind of forced this narrative on him, but hey it's not a bad narrative to have.

"I've been counting down the days a little bit … I would love to go number one," Horne-Francis said.

I’m not saying it’s a bad narrative either.

It’s just hypocritical to have a go at one and not the other (or anyone else) for wanting the external recognition of their respective seasons.

I don’t think the recognition ultimately means anything long term though.

It’s also an illustration of the dichotomy of the supposedly public desire of wanting our sports people to be honest, and then the Australian tall poppy syndrome cutting them down when they are.

Last edited:
"I've been counting down the days a little bit … I would love to go number one," Horne-Francis said.
Is that from the road to the Draft podcast with him on it, I'm pretty sure that's where I heard it first. It probably is something he'd really like to get, but it isn't going to be a personal vendetta if he goes at two. He won't though, he's locked himself in some extra cash and the title of outright first. I still think it's a bit of a forced narrative though.

I’m not saying it’s a bad narrative either.

It’s just hypocritical to have a go at one and not the other (or anyone else) for wanting the external recognition of their respective seasons.

I don’t think the recognition ultimately means anything long term though.

It’s also an illustration of the dichotomy of wanting our sports people to be honest and open, and then the Australian tall poppy syndrome cutting them down.

Different to Diacos who was whining that not every club thought he was worth interviewing.

Different to Diacos who was whining that not every club thought he was worth interviewing.

It’s no different IMO. It’s seeking external recognition to validate their ability/standing against peers/skills/performances etc.

Personally I don’t think it’s a useful exercise to undertake, either way.

It’s no different IMO. It’s seeking external recognition to validate their ability/standing against peers/skills/performances etc.

Personally I don’t think it’s a useful exercise to undertake, either way.

It s quite different. One player is expressing a desire to go number 1 and the other is complaining not every club interviewed him.

It s quite different. One player is expressing a desire to go number 1 and the other is complaining not every club interviewed him.

I suspect we aren’t going to agree. But to me it’s exactly the same underlying mentality (and not worthy of bagging someone out over).

Although from a personal point of view hopefully Fly can manage to bring the services of Ben Crowe to the Pies, and Nick develops a different approach (along with the rest of the team).

Last edited:
My prediction is Andrew will be a big slider. Maybe out of the first round completely
If he is available at our second we will definitely take him.
Would not surprise me to see him slide.
Especially if the Sun's go a mid after the Greenwood thing.

If he is available at our second we will definitely take him.
Would not surprise me to see him slide.
Especially if the Sun's go a mid after the Greenwood thing.
We won't go a midfielder, Hollands 189cm & Davies 191cm from last years draft played a combined 1 game last year. Hollands can easily take Greenwoods minutes, higher ceiling too. Bowes apparently back in the guts this year so think we are set. Tall Andrew or Gibcus thats it for us, hopefully Andrew

I m.a reletive new comer to AFL , but in the decade I've been following I can't think of a more high profile recruit than Daicos. The combination of the famous name and super high quality is fairly rare.
It has been a weird situation, I didn't like the big announcement of the signing with jersey presentation pre-draft. We all know he is got there, but it didn't feel right.
Normally a player of Daicos' would be interviewed by someone with an early draft pick but it has been made so clear he is not available you can see why he hasn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very much the way Richmond regrets not taking Franklin
Just as we regret taking vickery one spot before Ziebell, and taking ben lennon instead of patrick cripps one pick later, and ben griffiths instead of fyfe who went one pick later.
Imagine getting martin and fyfe in one draft!! :mad:

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction 2021 Draft Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back