• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

bigman

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2004
All Parts
AFL Club
Adelaide
When is the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft?
The evening of Wednesday, June 2, in the week following round 11. Nominations for eligible players opens at 9am AEST on Monday, May 10 and close at 5pm AEST on Tuesday, May 25.

Watch all the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft picks LIVE and EXCLUSIVE on AFL.com.au
and the AFL Live Official App from 6.30pm AEST on Wednesday, June 2

Nicks today saying if the right player is there we may have up to 3 picks
In the mid season draft

he mentioned small forward role and quick midfielder as options they were focusing on

no mention of ruck

Last edited by a moderator:

Vic experts (Callum Twomey and Mitch Cleary) showing their knowledge again after the Luke Brown/Riley Knight photo mixup a few days ago.

OLIVER DAVIS
Midfielder
183cm/75kg
18/7/02
Adelaide SANFL

The Tasmanian product is firmly on Adelaide's radar with one of their vacant list spots after moving to South Australia this year to play with the Crows' reserves side. He's played just one game to date with instant impact – collecting 26 disposals in a loss to Norwood last week. The 18-year-old ball-winning midfielder won the Matthew Richardson Medal as the Tasmanian State League's best under-23 prospect while playing for Clarence. Davis also captained the Tasmanian Devils' under-18 team as a bottom-ager in 2019.
Much easier to make an instant impact in your first game against Norwood when you actually played your first game a couple weeks earlier in the Showdown against Port. They just went to the SANFL website and pulled stats, however, the SANFL website has buggered up the profile for Davis with 2 spellings of his first name and the stats for his 2 games split between the 2.

View attachment 1138988

As an aside, Jackson Callow also intrigues me, would love a forward who can hold marks in a one on one contested situation, with Thilthorpe and Fog would give me West Coast forward line vibes, with Callow being the Darling piece? In that sort of 3 tall forward line, each one of them has the capability to generate a mismatch and do what Darling did to us in the 2nd qtr of the West Coast match. Could also then throw him back into defence to help out if we are getting reamed by a tall.
They have updated it

The Tasmanian product is firmly on Adelaide's radar with one of their vacant list spots after moving to South Australia this year to play with the Crows' reserves side. He's played two games to date and collected 26 disposals in a loss to Norwood last week. The 18-year-old ball-winning midfielder won the Matthew Richardson Medal as the Tasmanian State League's best under-23 prospect while playing for Clarence. Davis also captained the Tasmanian Devils' under-18 team as a bottom-ager in 2019.

A 178 cm, 60 kg defender. Why?

From an AFL draft central write up of young guns earlier this month:
"There may not be much of the diminutive Murray Bushrangers defender, but it hardly mattered as Parnell went about his business with typical assuredness from defence. His turn of speed and willingness to move the ball on quickly from defensive 50 was an early feature, capped by terrific decision making. With most things happening at speed, Parnell was able to execute his skills with aplomb, including one particularly memorable inboard kick across his body to hit a target at half-back during term one. The 19-year-old is a very neat kind of player who is reliable in tough situations and seems to understand the game well. He impressed with his spurts of possession, but has plenty of size to put on."

April 21 match notes:
" The speedy mid-season draft prospect has put together a strong start to the NAB League season and he was again one of Murrays best providing great rebound at half back and was a solid 4 quarter performer. Although a smaller and skinnier defender he did well to take some nice intercept marks and even a contested mark against the highly touted forward Kai Lohmann in the first quarter, Parnell impressed with his quick ball movement and desperate defending showing a good mix down back and its no surprise to see him taking kickouts with his speed and kicking. Along with some nice spoils and 1% plays Parnell finished the game with 24 disposals, 5 marks and 6 rebound 50s. "

The write-ups seem generous without watching him, but honestly, that sounds like an intriguing prospect.

Last edited:
From an AFL draft central write up of young guns earlier this month:
"There may not be much of the diminutive Murray Bushrangers defender, but it hardly mattered as Parnell went about his business with typical assuredness from defence. His turn of speed and willingness to move the ball on quickly from defensive 50 was an early feature, capped by terrific decision making. With most things happening at speed, Parnell was able to execute his skills with aplomb, including one particularly memorable inboard kick across his body to hit a target at half-back during term one. The 19-year-old is a very neat kind of player who is reliable in tough situations and seems to understand the game well. He impressed with his spurts of possession, but has plenty of size to put on."

April 21 match notes:
" The speedy mid-season draft prospect has put together a strong start to the NAB League season and he was again one of Murrays best providing great rebound at half back and was a solid 4 quarter performer. Although a smaller and skinnier defender he did well to take some nice intercept marks and even a contested mark against the highly touted forward Kai Lohmann in the first quarter, Parnell impressed with his quick ball movement and desperate defending showing a good mix down back and its no surprise to see him taking kickouts with his speed and kicking. Along with some nice spoils and 1% plays Parnell finished the game with 24 disposals, 5 marks and 6 rebound 50s. "

The write-ups seem generous without watching him, but honestly, that sounds like an intriguing prospect.
That's all well and good but we've got Dudley and O'Laughlin lined up in the NGA that could be on the list next year too both under 170cm

After reading through this thread there are many who talk about one pick and then there are those that talk about multiple picks. The AFL website has us as only having 1 pick. Can anyone confirm just how many selections that we do have??

That's all well and good but we've got Dudley and O'Laughlin lined up in the NGA that could be on the list next year too both under 170cm

Yup, it probably indicates we're not that interested in either of them.

Anyone who can potentially execute skills whilst running fast is probably worth a shot.

After reading through this thread there are many who talk about one pick and then there are those that talk about multiple picks. The AFL website has us as only having 1 pick. Can anyone confirm just how many selections that we do have??
We could take up to 3.. freed up for;

Stengle delisting
Milera LTI
Hinge LTI

But will probably only take 1, maybe 2.. because, whilst Hinge and Milera may be injured and on the LTI list.. they will return and at that point we’ll then need to find a free list spot to get them back in..

I know Nicks has said in passing that we'll look at grabbing a small forward, but is that really a need? Rowe, McHenry, Murphy, Newchurch and McAdam with a chance to get Dudley in the main draft. Mids and ruck would be my focus and I wouldn't necessarily go for the instant impact types, rather the highest ceiling.

We could take up to 3.. freed up for;

Stengle delisting
Milera LTI
Hinge LTI

But will probably only take 1, maybe 2.. because, whilst Hinge and Milera may be injured and on the LTI list.. they will return and at that point we’ll then need to find a free list spot to get them back in..
Would be nice if the AFL had decided on list sizes for 2022 to help clubs plan for this sort of thing

Would be nice if the AFL had decided on list sizes for 2022 to help clubs plan for this sort of thing

I would say one advantage here for us is we have some pretty easy delists on our rookie list. Could use the LTI picks to get your project players in half a season earlier.

I know Nicks has said in passing that we'll look at grabbing a small forward, but is that really a need? Rowe, McHenry, Murphy, Newchurch and McAdam with a chance to get Dudley in the main draft. Mids and ruck would be my focus and I wouldn't necessarily go for the instant impact types, rather the highest ceiling.
Think Ned plays HF, Mcadam isn't really a small forward as he plays more of a marking fwd role. We need someone with elite speed and pressure in our forward line. It's something we definitely need. Think he said there was another position we were looking at too but can't recall what it was... sadly wasn't a ruck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Golumless I can't quote your post for some reason.

I would agree we have some easy delists, most coming from our rookie list which is where these guys would land, could compromise our ability to move players like lynch to rookie list though.

Current rookie list :
Davis - Delist
Mackay - surely retirement if we already moved him off main list last year
Strachan- Delist
Murray - unsure
Butts - upgrade
Borlase (cat B) - unsure, probably keep as cat B
Gibbs - moved for Murray's spot and will be delisted
Hinge- Would be stiff to be delisted
Keays- upgraded
Murphy- unsure
Newchurch (cat B) - unsure, probably keep as cat B

Golumless I can't quote your post for some reason.

I would agree we have some easy delists, most coming from our rookie list which is where these guys would land, could compromise our ability to move players like lynch to rookie list though.

Current rookie list :
Davis - Delist
Mackay - surely retirement if we already moved him off main list last year
Strachan- Delist
Murray - unsure
Butts - upgrade
Borlase (cat B) - unsure, probably keep as cat B
Gibbs - moved for Murray's spot and will be delisted
Hinge- Would be stiff to be delisted
Keays- upgraded
Murphy- unsure
Newchurch (cat B) - unsure, probably keep as cat B
If Dudley is a like for like with Newchruch, I'd want to see both (assuming we pick Dudley up in the draft) for a year on the list and if Newchurch has not really come on after another full year on the list and Dudley looks like he projects higher, then make that decision at the end of next year. X factor players have to be given a bit more rope to see how they go as they can be matchwinners if they reach the heights

If Dudley is a like for like with Newchruch, I'd want to see both (assuming we pick Dudley up in the draft) for a year on the list and if Newchurch has not really come on after another full year on the list and Dudley looks like he projects higher, then make that decision at the end of next year. X factor players have to be given a bit more rope to see how they go as they can be matchwinners if they reach the heights
Benefit of Newchurch is he isn't taking a list spot as he is a cat B rookie. By the sounds of it I doubt Dudley will make it that far down we can take him as a cat B.

Benefit of Newchurch is he isn't taking a list spot as he is a cat B rookie. By the sounds of it I doubt Dudley will make it that far down we can take him as a cat B.
Dudley is having a good U18 season, would like to see him drafted - but he’s 168cm, so he’s always a chance of slipping through.

We need an xfactor, indigenous, electric and attacking small forward type.. every good performing club has one.. (apart from the dogs) some have two..

Tigers have bolton and rioli
Brisbane have charles
WC have ryan and rioli
Dees have kozzie

In 2017 we had eddie and charlie

Etc etc..

Having one of these types of lads is a must. They just make your forward line, and your attacking play in general, just a thousand times more dangerous.

Newchurch is showing signs but he looks to lack the ability to put enough pressure on the opposition defense.

We need to grab tyrone... he looks to be the complete package.

And when it comes to these lads.. height isnt a factor in deciding whether to take the lad.. these guys seem to have inbuilt springs in their legs!.. what they lack in height they more than make up for in leaping abilities..

Last edited:
I think Newcombe has put a price in his head to dissuade anyone drafting him before Hawthorn's 2nd pick.

someone started a pretty silly draft tampering thread on the scandals board about that. Then someone else posted something about Stengle and pies being more interesting. But haven't gotten any more info despite asking. Does anyone know anything a bit different about Stengle and pies?

Last edited:

Ogilvie is the long term thinker, Nicks very much about the 4 points this weekend. He'd be solely focussed on beefing up our best 22 ASAP.

If the docs think Matt Crouch doesn't make it back after the surgery, we could take up to 4 picks. Personally, I would look at Freeman and Davis for a mid spot. Then Thorne or Lowson for a small forward. Ruck between Mirov, Heath or Moyle. If the 4th spot available, a tall defender 195 cms or bigger. Too many 192 cms ones being touted. End of year clean out will take of itself.

If the docs think Matt Crouch doesn't make it back after the surgery, we could take up to 4 picks. Personally, I would look at Freeman and Davis for a mid spot. Then Thorne or Lowson for a small forward. Ruck between Mirov, Heath or Moyle. If the 4th spot available, a tall defender 195 cms or bigger. Too many 192 cms ones being touted. End of year clean out will take of itself.

I don't know if it's worthwhile shutting down Matt Crouch down (seeing we'd have to make that call next week), or if 4 players is the right way to go with this draft.

I also don't know if I'd worry about the depth chart either. I do just like using these picks to go for project players we don't want to particularly risk in the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

2021 Mid season draft (June 2nd)

Back