• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

bigman

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2004
All Parts
AFL Club
Adelaide
When is the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft?
The evening of Wednesday, June 2, in the week following round 11. Nominations for eligible players opens at 9am AEST on Monday, May 10 and close at 5pm AEST on Tuesday, May 25.

Watch all the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft picks LIVE and EXCLUSIVE on AFL.com.au
and the AFL Live Official App from 6.30pm AEST on Wednesday, June 2

Nicks today saying if the right player is there we may have up to 3 picks
In the mid season draft

he mentioned small forward role and quick midfielder as options they were focusing on

no mention of ruck

Last edited by a moderator:
If we don’t get up tomorrow we have the fourth pick in this draft. If we were to select Oliver Davis with our first pick, the recruitment team will have officially lost the plot.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Clarkson has said that they will only be taking one pick in the MSD unless they picked up a LTI in today's game. Given they have been widely reported as taking Newcombe, that is good news for us as it likely means they take him pick 2.

Unless we somehow win tomorrow we will have pick 4.
Pick 1 - NM - Edwards
Pick 2 - Haw - Newcombe
Pick 3 - Coll - Moyle? Callow? Stengle?
Pick 4 - Adel - ??

All or most of Moyle, Heath, Mirkov, Thorne, Callow, Maher, Freeman will be available. We likely take Davis, but I really hope it is with our second (or third, as unlikely as that is). I'm not a big fan of taking a very small defender like Parnell, but sounds like he is in the mix too, hopefully not with our first pick but who knows.

My hope is for a development ruck as I think we need one. Thorne has also looked great and would be thrilled with that.

Obviously take all of this with a grain of salt as the views of the actual draft team will likely be much better than mine.

I think all of you are thinking that we'll draft for needs and not talent, but there's no one worth pushing up based off needs. No clearly AFL standard small forwards and all the ruckmen are just low quality ruckmen with no real weapon.

This year's MSD is a unique one where the Vic 18 year olds from last year that no one knew about are able to be drafted. This will never happen again, so let's pick off talent. I'd be stoked if we took Parnell as personally I'd put him in the 1st/2nd round of the national draft at this stage. He has definitely been one of the best performed in the NAB League. You could almost argue that he's a carbon copy of Caleb Daniel in his playing style and elite kick and high footy IQ.

I think all of you are thinking that we'll draft for needs and not talent, but there's no one worth pushing up based off needs. No clearly AFL standard small forwards and all the ruckmen are just low quality ruckmen with no real weapon.

This year's MSD is a unique one where the Vic 18 year olds from last year that no one knew about are able to be drafted. This will never happen again, so let's pick off talent. I'd be stoked if we took Parnell as personally I'd put him in the 1st/2nd round of the national draft at this stage. He has definitely been one of the best performed in the NAB League. You could almost argue that he's a carbon copy of Caleb Daniel in his playing style and elite kick and high footy IQ.
Agree.

If we delist Mackay and Davis at year end, we still only have 3 selections at the draft. With 2 2nd round picks (and O'Loghlin and Dudley), 3 picks should be our minimum.

So, any kid we bring in through the msd has 6 months to prove that they will be better than 2 current players that aren't Mackay or Davis (or Newchurch or Borlase). That doesn't really suit a project player. Positional needs will play a part, because these players will be more likely to displace our next best option at that position.

But it's a free hit, so we should take a crack at a couple of high upside players with 6 month contracts. If Parnell (and/ or Thorne, Davis) is that guy, why not give him a go?

Outside of ROB when was the last time we drafted a young development ruck?

For the last 10 years or so we’ve either drafted mature age state league players or recycled mature age players from other clubs.
Presumably you only do it every four or five years or so?

Agree that now is the time, though.

I would be happy for Billy to be the main ruck back up - I actually think he's pretty good as a ruckman - but we need a project ruck as well.

Presumably you only do it every four or five years or so?

Agree that now is the time, though.

I would be happy for Billy to be the main ruck back up - I actually think he's pretty good as a ruckman - but we need a project ruck as well.
And for the love of all that is mighty not another Sauce/ROB type either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree.

If we delist Mackay and Davis at year end, we still only have 3 selections at the draft. With 2 2nd round picks (and O'Loghlin and Dudley), 3 picks should be our minimum.

So, any kid we bring in through the msd has 6 months to prove that they will be better than 2 current players that aren't Mackay or Davis (or Newchurch or Borlase). That doesn't really suit a project player. Positional needs will play a part, because these players will be more likely to displace our next best option at that position.

But it's a free hit, so we should take a crack at a couple of high upside players with 6 month contracts. If Parnell (and/ or Thorne, Davis) is that guy, why not give him a go?
Mackay & Davis are both on the rookie list, so delisting them doesn't create positions we can fill at the ND.

And, if Oliver is rated by us the fourth best player in this draft, it’s a really, really, really shit draft.

Which, given the unique COVID 19 scenario with so much football lost last year cannot be. There must be a gaggle of talent out there waiting to be selected. Probs by Swans, Geelong and Bulldogs etc. We need to lift in this area badly.

And, if Oliver is rated by us the fourth best player in this draft, it’s a really, really, really sh*t draft.

Which, given the unique COVID 19 scenario with so much football lost last year cannot be. There must be a gaggle of talent out there waiting to be selected. Probs by Swans, Geelong and Bulldogs etc. We need to lift in this area badly.

It's the mid-season draft, which mean yes, it's likely a really, really, really shit draft. It's the rejects draft for a reason.

You might see a slight upswing in overagers selected in the 2021 national draft, as kids who missed out on the draft are able to put in a full year of work + finals + national championships, but the impact of COVID was always likely to just be some raw project players didn't get taken in the 2020 draft. The only slightly surprising thing was Ben Edwards so far.

Last edited:
So for those who have been watching, how far off is Oliver from AFL level?

Better or worse than ROC?
Id have them on an equal footing at this point..

I actually reacon Oliver has more upside..

Plus.. Cant really judge a kid thats joined a side mid season and has only played 3 games so far.. needs time to settle in and get fully in tune with his team mates.. so really he’s been pretty bloody good to this point.

I’m hoping we grab Thorne and then Oliver with our second.

I'm fine to take him as a second or third pick. Feel like there's options there at pick 4 for us to grab a more talented player or more useful player for our squads development.

We picked Bryce Gibbs with pick 1 in last year's rookie draft so it would be a surprise for us to take anyone but Davis with our pick

Remove this Banner Ad

2021 Mid season draft (June 2nd)

Back