• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

bigman

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2004
All Parts
AFL Club
Adelaide
When is the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft?
The evening of Wednesday, June 2, in the week following round 11. Nominations for eligible players opens at 9am AEST on Monday, May 10 and close at 5pm AEST on Tuesday, May 25.

Watch all the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft picks LIVE and EXCLUSIVE on AFL.com.au
and the AFL Live Official App from 6.30pm AEST on Wednesday, June 2

Nicks today saying if the right player is there we may have up to 3 picks
In the mid season draft

he mentioned small forward role and quick midfielder as options they were focusing on

no mention of ruck

Last edited by a moderator:
I see it more about total performance across the ground. You only play a 3rd when all 3 are going well. A 3rd for structure that's not up to it ie Frampton causes lots of grief elsewhere. It's no coincidence that our best 2 games have come not carrying a non-performing tall. The reality is that exceedingly few contested marks are taken in our forward 50, height is of little value to us, we need space and ground ball pressure. I think Thilthorpe and Fog with an in-form McAdam is enough aerial power for a forward line. Rotating mid, small forward and higher half forward round out the structure. All tackling desperados though, total non-negotiable. Obviously Tex is still there, but following his departure that's the the structure I'd like to see.

Kind of on this, I think for too long our club and supporters have leaned on points for as a being proof we've nailed the structure. This is wrong, the only thing that matters is score differential. Kicking 3 extra but causing 4 more due to lack of pressure from our 50 through the arcs is counterproductive. And we know that finals footy is highly contested and that's when our rebounders and mids are under pressure which causes dirty ball into our 50. We've been structuring a great downhill skiing forward line for ages and it works when our kids are on top. It doesn't when they're not.

The only issue if you were looking at score differential, it could overrate a middling to poor forward line. I.e. A 72 point game will give you a +12 differential if your opponent scores 60. Of course you are more likely to win a premiership set up like that then scoring 105 points and your opponent averages 90 (even though it's a +15 diff). I'd probably lean the other way, with points for being the better metric if you were judging a forward line on their own, and points differential if you were taking a more holistic approach. Ultimately though, it's harder to score regularly then it is to restrict scoring which needs to be factored in (and by that all forward lines are by nature, going to downhill ski a bit).

I disagree with the third tall. You play a third to either plug holes in your side, or to develop for the future, with form being a secondary consideration. If you have a forward line who are pretty weak in the air, you need a third tall who is a good aerialist. Have two key forwards who are much better closer to goal? you badly need our Tom Lynch. Have a prospect who needs game time and you're planning to be your number 1 key forward in the long term? You get rid of the incumbent at the first possible opoortunity and use that spot to pump games into them.

I also wouldn't assume that we'll be set for aerial presence once Tex goes. McAdam will only have a couple of years left in him by that point and it also comes down to Thilthorpe... well more importantly, what we do with Thilthorpe. Personally, I would not be married to the idea that Fogarty will replace Tex once he goes because I suspect for Thilthorpe to reach the heights he's capable of, he'll have to play CHF. That could leave a bit of a hole for a good contested mark in the third tall slot.

just posting Knighmare's write up on Callow and where he feels Callow might rank if he was in this years national Draft for anyone interested

just posting Knighmare's write up on Callow and where he feels Callow might rank if he was in this years national Draft for anyone interested

We need to look very seriously at taking him: could be a free kick.

Tell me his nickname is Jerry.

Gee whiz just googled some of Jerry's highlights. I am sold.

Gallo. No. I said Jerry Callo!

Last edited:
I'm warming to Callow. Feel he'd be a solid young backup behind Tex and Fog. We probably could do with one more old-fashioned key-forward to put pressure on Tex/Fog, in preference to keeping two ruck/forwards (Billy/Elliott) on our books, both of whom are clearly behind Thilthorpe in the pecking order.

I'm warming to Callow. Feel he'd be a solid young backup behind Tex and Fog. We probably could do with one more old-fashioned key-forward to put pressure on Tex/Fog, in preference to keeping two ruck/forwards (Billy/Elliott) on our books, both of whom are clearly behind Thilthorpe in the pecking order.
As a Norwood supporter I can confirm that he can actually hold his marks unlike a certain two we have on our list. Plus only being 18 could be a good option, but Nicks has said they want a small forward and midfielder.

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the club should take a bold choice and pick up Freeman, a free shot and potential to be a high reward pick up.

Have to admit, i'm starting to get quite interested in seeing where he ends up. I just read he's averaging 41 touches a game, I have no idea what he does with it when he has it, but just getting your hands on the pill that often over half a season is super impressive!

I can't recall seeing too much of him, isn't he similar to what we already have?

I do remember him being touted as a Dangerfield clone when he first entered the system. Got absolutely wrecked be injuries though.

Have to admit, i'm starting to get quite interested in seeing where he ends up. I just read he's averaging 41 touches a game, I have no idea what he does with it when he has it, but just getting your hands on the pill that often over half a season is super impressive!

He's made of glass, I would be blown away if he ever cements a spot in the best 22 anyway. Probably has the talent but perpetually injured.

Vic experts (Callum Twomey and Mitch Cleary) showing their knowledge again after the Luke Brown/Riley Knight photo mixup a few days ago.

OLIVER DAVIS
Midfielder
183cm/75kg
18/7/02
Adelaide SANFL

The Tasmanian product is firmly on Adelaide's radar with one of their vacant list spots after moving to South Australia this year to play with the Crows' reserves side. He's played just one game to date with instant impact – collecting 26 disposals in a loss to Norwood last week. The 18-year-old ball-winning midfielder won the Matthew Richardson Medal as the Tasmanian State League's best under-23 prospect while playing for Clarence. Davis also captained the Tasmanian Devils' under-18 team as a bottom-ager in 2019.
Much easier to make an instant impact in your first game against Norwood when you actually played your first game a couple weeks earlier in the Showdown against Port. They just went to the SANFL website and pulled stats, however, the SANFL website has buggered up the profile for Davis with 2 spellings of his first name and the stats for his 2 games split between the 2.

1622162986156.png

As an aside, Jackson Callow also intrigues me, would love a forward who can hold marks in a one on one contested situation, with Thilthorpe and Fog would give me West Coast forward line vibes, with Callow being the Darling piece? In that sort of 3 tall forward line, each one of them has the capability to generate a mismatch and do what Darling did to us in the 2nd qtr of the West Coast match. Could also then throw him back into defence to help out if we are getting reamed by a tall.

Yeah is super impressive isn't it and considering the injuries he has had over the years. Some article said he has started regaining the power he had pre draft years so not sure, again I havent watched him closely just a few snippets of him playing for Frankston and appears to be moving well.

Twomey says we're interested in Patrick Parnell.

Remove this Banner Ad

2021 Mid season draft (June 2nd)

Back