Autopsy 2021 Swans Vs Giants Elimination Final. Lost by 1 point

Remove this Banner Ad

My takeaways from the match:

1) Not letting Warner play last week was dumb. You can't just throw a player in a final like that without at least giving him a warm up match first to see if he's up for it.

2) Bell cost us the game. Its been mentioned before that our fringe players didn't stand up for us here but his misses REALLY stood out! He should never have taken the place of Campbell.

3) Just because Melican is bigger than the rest of our defense does not mean he is our best option on the biggest forwards. Too slow off the mark and doesn't read the play well. I would've rather had Fox in there all game. Sure he would've lost some contests due to his size but he makes up for it with better reading of the game, much better use of the ball, and MUCH better pace off the mark.

4) Why did we let the opposition determine the way we played all match long? We played a contested game even when we didn't have to. We weren't looking for the easy quick options, we weren't trying to chip it into a short option inside 50. So much bombing long to a pack. It was horrible.

5) Mumford represents a lot of what I hate about footy. The guy genuinely looks like he just wants to hurt other players.

6) I can't wait for next season! Hopefully that miss will make Buddy hungrier that ever to get back there and get it done. Blakey will be champing at the bit to get back into it.

I think we all root for Warner to succeed (more than most of our players), but also not sure about throwing him into the fire in the finals tbh. Gold Coast game could have been a good tune up for him. At least let him play in that one.

He had 62% TOG. This after three and a half VFL matches where he was likely playing full midfield minutes. Tbh I thought that all those VFL hit-outs would mean he was pretty much fully match-fit when he came back to the senior side, but evidently not. Doesn't matter when we brought him back, this was where his match fitness was at 5 weeks on from his return. Wasn't gonna get any better. It's a shame his season ends on a bit of a fizzle but he'll be back next year.

We kicked ourselves out of that. But jesus, Mary and Joseph, they got a huge help from the men in green. Those bloody maggots kept those bastards alive early in the piece. If it weren't for them their run on would have been impossible.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app
If it helps, I was at the match and they received one of the almightiest boos I've seen from near a 10K crowd as they left the field near us, myself included in that! ;)

I travelled from Darwin to Cairns to Townsville to Brisbane to Hobart to Launceston for this game to offer some cheer cheer.
The crowd were 90%+ Swans fans and we gave it our all to help them in that last quarter...would've been sooo deafening if any of those last potential goals and lead change actually occurred.. :( *sniff*

Just saw Horse's conf...don't think I've seen him that close to tears before as per the start of that presser.

Will try and let it all go...so flat too.
2022 will be huge and we've just gained some massive finals experience for the youngies from the pain. Getting an 'out of top 4' flag is near impossible if you look at the history, so lets not hover around 6th (for however many weeks even though we kept winning as we did this year), next year!!!

Lastly, go Dees!!! The only consolation prize would now would be for Goodwin to be doing a Roos-like speech holding up the cup on the big day after such a long stint without...would bring back some fine 2005 memories. :)

Lachie Ash and Matt de Boer executed their assignments on Dawson and Lloyd beautifully. Dawson never got into the game and Lloyd's influence was sorely missed in the second quarter.

Agreed re the shut down jobs on two of the Swans prime rebounders. I had tipped Dawson to be BOG for the Coles competition and barely noticed him during the game today. He is normally on the receiving end of a chain of handballs to be the distributor going inside 50 but was missing today. I kept hoping he would show up and make some special play but it didn't eventuate today.

Lloyd was also kept out of the game effectively as well.

Still very proud of what both of them have produced all year.

Defence is the one weakness holding Swans back If only Will Gould could build on the potential he showed to be drafted then he could be another weapon off the back line. Draft Paddy McCartin in the pre-season draft and the KPD is shored up significantly for next year. Trade in a Darcy Moore type key defender and then Swans could match up much better with the top 4 in 2022 and slam the premiership window open for a while.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we all root for Warner to succeed (more than most of our players), but also not sure about throwing him into the fire in the finals tbh. Gold Coast game could have been a good tune up for him. At least let him play in that one.
yeah, in hindsight it was a mistake. He really needed a run in round 23.

Came in cold and never really got running. Not his fault.

If they weren't going to persist with Campbell, they should have given Warner a run at his expense.

Bell was an obvious team selection error.

Oh well, you live and you learn.

Injuries f**ked us in the end.

IMO wouldn't have made a difference when we brought Warner back, he'd been back 5 weeks today but still only got 62% TOG. Obviously needed to be heavily managed and was not 100% right. We already saw this with Rowbottom (himself only 67% TOG today) so it shouldn't have been a surprise. I'm guessing if even one of Mills or JPK got up, Warner wouldn't have even played at all.

Our forwards got caught behind their direct defender too many times. It was a poor forward performance as much as it was a solid defensive performance by them.

Agree. We did make it alot easier for them than it should have been. Buddy caught out at least 3 times. As much as we are critical of entries going in forwards needed to work harder by winning and holding front position and working to present more. Multiple leads by an individual forward were well down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2021 Swans Vs Giants Elimination Final. Lost by 1 point

Remove this Banner Ad

Back