Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love him, IMO, he’s the best kid in the draft and exactly what we need.

I think we’ve got a heap of young talent to give games to next year. He's no risk and a gun player.
Taking a player recovering from an ACL with pick 7 when your list is devoid of midfield talent is a pretty big risk.

Taking a player recovering from an ACL with pick 7 when your list is devoid of midfield talent is a pretty big risk.
The first part is true but you need to back your medicos in. If they tick off on it it should be fine.

I’m not a subscriber to part two of the sentence. I think we have plenty of midfield talent that will grow and flourish next year.

The first part is true but you need to back your medicos in. If they tick off on it it should be fine.

I’m not a subscriber to part two of the sentence. I think we have plenty of midfield talent that will grow and flourish next year.
I really hope you are right about our existing list containing plenty of midfield talent.

I would love George but not sure how we get him as it is extremely unlikely he lasts until our 2nd pick.

Unfortunately for you our coach is.

I wouldn’t know, it’s just my opinion.
Well our couch wants to improve our midfield first and foremost.
It’s the clearest weakness of the list.

Last edited:
We’ll our couch wants to improve our midfield first and foremost.
It’s the clearest weakness of the list.
Understandable.

Moving forward I‘m very optimistic with our current crop. I think if we settle the side in that part of the ground with 22 games from the collective of Jai, Worpel, Ward, CMac, Finn, Butler & Moore that’s where the significant improvement will come from and the current weakness will become a strength.

Adding Brayden George to that mix would be great. He can play some minutes in their in 2024.

I can see North taking Tsatas instead of Sheezel, because why wouldn’t you?
Grab the two best mids in the open draft!
That would be bonkers.

I think Sheezel falls to the Bombers unless they too prioritize the midfield - which they probably should.

Sheezel to the Suns gives them a Rankine replacement, and it works for us as we’d back ourselves in to bring him home in 2 years time.

Let’s hope cats want Clark so bad that they throw us something to slide to our pick.
Who you do you think SYL, Gold Coast picks/needs. Just curious as totally no idea when it comes to them as a playing group. I have my heart set on Mackenzie. I agree, Sheezel wont get past the Bombers, their silly but not silly. Insert fist pump here......

If Brayden George is still there at 24, having been passed by other clubs because of his knee, should we take him?

Bold? Beau Dowler bold? Beau Muston bold? We were bold, but ended up Beau'ld, clean bowled!

Bowled bold beau'ld bowld bouldy bold bold bibbity bold

(Yes, I'm losing my ****ing mind right now)

Last edited:
If Brayden George is still there at 24, having been passed by other clubs because of his knee, should we take him?

Bold? Beau Dowler bold? Beau Muston bold? We were bold, but ended up Beau'ld, clean bowled!

Bowled bold beau'ld bowld bouldy bold bold bibbity bold

(Yes, I'm losing my ******* mind right now)
I don’t think he’ll make it to Pick 24. ☹️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love him, IMO, he’s the best kid in the draft and exactly what we need.

I think we’ve got a heap of young talent to give games to next year. He's no risk and a gun player.
Bit bold to say a powerful, explosive, and well-built forward coming off his second major knee injury of the year is "no-risk". He's performed well in limited game time, but he's still got big question marks around him, his midfield ability, and how he matches up against hard tags.

Love him with our 2nd, or even a late 1st if we somehow get one. Not an option for pick 7.

Pretty sure it has a domino effect to other things like achilles and back soreness. sven_inc would likely know more but the recurrence is definitely a concern especially at such a young age. His career could easily end up something like a JOR.
I think you both make important points here. Previous hamstring injuries are a strong indicator of potential for future hamstring injuries and it may not bode well for a young bloke to be dealing with them before hes in the system. Having said that, once hes into a good strength and conditioning system theres a chance to smooth things out.

But, at the risk of sounding like an old man yelling at clouds, it speaks more to our failing at sorting out the underlying cause of hammy issues which is more than just "not being strong enough" or "not being fit and conditioned enough". I wont keep boring people with the details but every non-traumatic injury is often a consequence of something else. Its the part of the body that fails to continue tolerating the way things are moving, being used, or loaded. For hammies I find they're often a direct consequence of lower back dysfunction, and what that is may look a little different for each person. For Wardlaw, id love to check out the nuances of his lower half to figure out why its failed three times rather than just get him stronger and hope for the best.

In short, if hes good enough id want us to take a punt on him, but if the way the industry looks at hammies doesnt evolve I couldnt say whether he'll thrive or battle to survive long term.

I think you both make important points here. Previous hamstring injuries are a strong indicator of potential for future hamstring injuries and it may not bode well for a young bloke to be dealing with them before hes in the system. Having said that, once hes into a good strength and conditioning system theres a chance to smooth things out.

But, at the risk of sounding like an old man yelling at clouds, it speaks more to our failing at sorting out the underlying cause of hammy issues which is more than just "not being strong enough" or "not being fit and conditioned enough". I wont keep boring people with the details but every non-traumatic injury is often a consequence of something else. Its the part of the body that fails to continue tolerating the way things are moving, being used, or loaded. For hammies I find they're often a direct consequence of lower back dysfunction, and what that is may look a little different for each person. For Wardlaw, id love to check out the nuances of his lower half to figure out why its failed three times rather than just get him stronger and hope for the best.

In short, if hes good enough id want us to take a punt on him, but if the way the industry looks at hammies doesnt evolve I couldnt say whether he'll thrive or battle to survive long term.
Shiel from Essendon has videos doing Nordic Curls, but to date he's the only person I've seen doing what I'd consider modern injury mitigation training.

That would be bonkers.

I think Sheezel falls to the Bombers unless they too prioritize the midfield - which they probably should.

Sheezel to the Suns gives them a Rankine replacement, and it works for us as we’d back ourselves in to bring him home in 2 years time.

Let’s hope cats want Clark so bad that they throw us something to slide to our pick.
I'm hoping the Suns pick Bussslinger or Humphrey both add something the Gold Coast lack, I'd be pretty happy with either Clark or Mackenzie

That would be bonkers.

North are only stacked in one area of the ground and that's for midfield talent. I'm almost certain they'll take Cadman or Sheezel with one of their selections if the trade works out that way.
They need all the help forward of centre they can get.

Any predictions on how the combine may change views? Ie who will be the combine star that climbs on the back of top athletic testing or the player with now athletic concerns that drops?

At the risk of searching for free medical advice from an unknown stranger on the internet, what do you find are underlying issues with calves? Or is that calfs?

North are only stacked in one area of the ground and that's for midfield talent. I'm almost certain they'll take Cadman or Sheezel with one of their selections if the trade works out that way.
They need all the help forward of centre they can get.
They will take best available if they have picks 2 & 3. Cadman will be gone to the Giants. That’s why they’re trading up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back