Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't mind Phillipou, but Clark and Mackenzie are still firm favorites for me. Humphery is as well if we believe he has the mindset to improve his kicking which, from listening to his interviews, he very well might have. Mackenzie's midfield craft is just so elegant, smooth, and damaging, he places kicks well and has such a level head for a player his age. Clark is a brilliant in-and-under player who has all the tenacity to will the ball forward, and he loves a massive flying grab. When he is on the outside of the pack, his kicking is neat and he gets pretty good purchase on his roosts forward. Now that Geelong looks to be moving in on Pick 7, the spite factor might just tip me over the edge.

For an example of why I am off Phillipou:
Good clip from giantroo showing Phillipou

His kicking seems very inconsistent, long bombs that go to no one and some blunder handballs mixed in with beautiful running goals and some neat little chip kicks. He has the big highlights, but for most of the game, he acts as a passenger. He isn't a Bont-type player, who had the determination and accumulation as a junior to show some class and stay involved in the game. Not one of my favorites this year.

Are you sure this is the right clip to show why you're off him? To me he's bigger and more athletic than anyone on the ground, is taking contested marks, kicking goals and winning clearances. His kicking seems a bit rushed at times but he hasn't been a full-time footballer for long as far as i'm aware. This clip just emphasizes what others have said with regard to his ceiling.

I don't mind Phillipou, but Clark and Mackenzie are still firm favorites for me. Humphery is as well if we believe he has the mindset to improve his kicking which, from listening to his interviews, he very well might have. Mackenzie's midfield craft is just so elegant, smooth, and damaging, he places kicks well and has such a level head for a player his age. Clark is a brilliant in-and-under player who has all the tenacity to will the ball forward, and he loves a massive flying grab. When he is on the outside of the pack, his kicking is neat and he gets pretty good purchase on his roosts forward. Now that Geelong looks to be moving in on Pick 7, the spite factor might just tip me over the edge.

His kicking seems very inconsistent, long bombs that go to no one and some blunder handballs mixed in with beautiful running goals and some neat little chip kicks. He has the big highlights, but for most of the game, he acts as a passenger. He isn't a Bont-type player, who had the determination and accumulation as a junior to show some class and stay involved in the game. Not one of my favorites this year.

As I've said previously he is athletic and powerful and this vision kinda highlights this. TBH its not the best vision I've seen of him, but there is still enough to suggest that clubs will be able envisage what the future looks like. I'd be happy for the Crows to take him.

On another note this vision also highlights why more NAB league kids get recruited over u18 SANFL kids.

Are you sure this is the right clip to show why you're off him? To me he's bigger and more athletic than anyone on the ground, is taking contested marks, kicking goals and winning clearances. His kicking seems a bit rushed at times but he hasn't been a full-time footballer for long as far as i'm aware. This clip just emphasizes what others have said with regard to his ceiling.

As I've said previously he is athletic and powerful and this vision kinda highlights this. TBH its not the best vision I've seen of him, but there is still enough to suggest that clubs will be able envisage what the future looks like. I'd be happy for the Crows to take him.

On another note this vision also highlights why more NAB league kids get recruited over u18 SANFL kids.

As I've said, the part of this footage that worries me is his kicking, and through whole games I find him slightly pedestrian. He's still a top 10 prospect and could very well go above our pick, but on his strengths and weaknesses I have Clark and Mackenzie ahead.

I agree his athleticism and frame are impressive, but as a midfielder his contested work seems rushed and he doesn't stand through contact as well as others. Round 4 was a good game for him, but as am AFL prospect I'm still a bit wary. With all that said, I'd still have him in my second tier of prospects for our pick, behind Clark and Mackenzie and around Humphrey and a bit ahead of Ginbey.

TDS7 - didn’t you just recently post about how we’ve improved McDonald’s kicking in an afl environment? Not sure why same wouldn’t apply with phillpou? if it’s just he’s rushing but technically okay that appears very fixable.

Phillipous also a tall guy and very young vs peers - unlikely to have the same core strength as shorter types eg Clarke at this stage to stand up through tackles. I just look at the improvement of Finn’s contested work as we’ve unlocked his athletic capabilities over time.

The hunger/workrate is more a concern (as harder to fix and need that hunger at afl level) but feels like draft is a bit weak so everyone has their flaws.

Others may still be better prospects (and maybe less risky) but can see the appeal.

I reckon a good test is to see if you can project the player playing midfield against the current (or recent) grand finalists. In some ways it’s easier to see phillpou as that big, athletic 2nd receiver than Clarke going head to head with eg Dangerfield for contested ball.

As I've said, the part of this footage that worries me is his kicking, and through whole games I find him slightly pedestrian. He's still a top 10 prospect and could very well go above our pick, but on his strengths and weaknesses I have Clark and Mackenzie ahead.

I agree his athleticism and frame are impressive, but as a midfielder his contested work seems rushed and he doesn't stand through contact as well as others. Round 4 was a good game for him, but as am AFL prospect I'm still a bit wary. With all that said, I'd still have him in my second tier of prospects for our pick, behind Clark and Mackenzie and around Humphrey and a bit ahead of Ginbey.
No doubt some of his kicking footage is not elite, but he did some nice things in the carnival that suggests he will improve a heap once he's in a FT environment. I love how we all have different opinions and see different things. Imagine the conversations at the recruiters table :)

Jesus Christ the pussycats have headf*cked this board
Certainly has. Its' embarrassing.

How about we discuss the draft and Hawthorn, rather than Geelong?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wardlaw a big Dons man. His dream to play for them. Like Sheez for us.
Three hamstring injuries in a year is a big deal, they have such a high recurrence rate no matter the additional strengthening work. Prior injury and age are the two biggest contributing factors to hamstring soft tissue injuries, particularly in explosive athletes like Wardlaw. If he's having hamstring troubles now, there's a strong chance of recurrence that only gets bigger as his career goes on.

Three hamstring injuries in a year is a big deal, they have such a high recurrence rate no matter the additional strengthening work. Prior injury and age are the two biggest contributing factors to hamstring soft tissue injuries, particularly in explosive athletes like Wardlaw. If he's having hamstring troubles now, there's a strong chance of recurrence that only gets bigger as his career goes on.
Pretty sure it has a domino effect to other things like achilles and back soreness. sven_inc would likely know more but the recurrence is definitely a concern especially at such a young age. His career could easily end up something like a JOR.

We need to start being a bit bolder with our picks. Ward, McDonald types look like good foundation type players, but we need some cream, some POD players with stand out attributes, x factor, flair - if it comes with a bit of risk, then let's back ourselves and take the punt. By all reports, Humphrey and Brayden George might be the sort of players that fit this mould. I really do feel we've been a bit "safe" with our picks over the last few years.

We need to start being a bit bolder with our picks. Ward, McDonald types look like good foundation type players, but we need some cream, some POD players with stand out attributes, x factor, flair - if it comes with a bit of risk, then let's back ourselves and take the punt. By all reports, Humphrey and Brayden George might be the sort of players that fit this mould. I really do feel we've been a bit "safe" with our picks over the last few years.
I agree we have opted for the relatively safe option.

I still don't think we are really in a position to go risky in this draft to be honest.We have to absolutely nail our picks this year.

I would love a Humphrey or George as well but we might opt to wait a few years to grab one of those types.

If the suggested deal goes down.

1. Ashcroft - Brisbane
2. Cadman - Gws
3. Wardlaw - North
4. Sheezle - North
5. Tsatas - Essendon
6. ? - Gold Coast
7. ? - Hawthorn
8. ? - Geelong
9. ? - West Coast

Hawthorn will have a choice between Clark, Mackenzie and Humphrey
I can see North taking Tsatas instead of Sheezel, because why wouldn’t you?
Grab the two best mids in the open draft!
That would be bonkers.

I think Sheezel falls to the Bombers unless they too prioritize the midfield - which they probably should.

Sheezel to the Suns gives them a Rankine replacement, and it works for us as we’d back ourselves in to bring him home in 2 years time.

Let’s hope cats want Clark so bad that they throw us something to slide to our pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back