Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shifter Sheehan saying Sam Mitchell driving the 20 minute interviews at the combine, and every player came out saying “gee I’d love to go to Hawthorn”
Hopefully holds is in good stead to pick up a few of these lads in trades in a couple of years time.

On Nokia 6.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Shifter Sheehan saying Sam Mitchell driving the 20 minute interviews at the combine, and every player came out saying “gee I’d love to go to Hawthorn”
Even if that is a bit of hyperbole from Sheehan, if you're a youngster and you're passionate about footy then I reckon Sam Mitchell would be the coach you'd most like to play for. Forget anything about the club, or the list and where we're at, Sam is the drawcard.

As a coach he's passionate, extremely knowledgeable, and young enough that most of the kids being drafted would relate to him and still know what he was like as a player. Everyone who has been coached by him talks about how he is able to easily explain the game in ways that anyone can understand, and that's a massive advantage.

Tsatas with a 3.14 and a over 7 minute 2k
That's fairly pedestrian for an outside player rated as high as he is, but it's also a good chance he knows where he's going and phoned it in.

That's promising. Obviously most of these players won't end up being drafted by us whether we'd want to or not. But in the event that in a few years from now they're looking to move on from where ever they were drafted, hopefully they'll still have such positive association with the Hawks.

Davo - what’s your view on Barnett as a pick for us? Athletic ruck, great mark, possible kpp, solid build - seems a BB replacement?

How does Ed Allen rate in terms of potential best wing options? I reckon on wing you need elite athletes - we had smith and hill + cats this year smith, Holmes, Blicavs - all in handful of best runners in the afl. 2.81 for 20m is unbelievably quick for a guy his size (or anyone really) - not sure how he tested on endurance etc?
im not the biggest fan of Barnett's, can take a nice mark, but i think is a bit over rated, the rucks this year have been a bit disappointing imo, i cant think of 1 that deserves a top 30 spot based on performance or potential

Ed Allan was a beast last year and came back later this year, his speed was evident last year as he threw himself into every contest with no care for his own safety which stood out, but the 2.81 testing is great, he was one i wanted to see more of this year based on 2021 because of how he attacked the contest and the ball, he is more physical than either of Hill or Smith.

im not the biggest fan of Barnett's, can take a nice mark, but i think is a bit over rated, the rucks this year have been a bit disappointing imo, i cant think of 1 that deserves a top 30 spot based on performance or potential

Ed Allan was a beast last year and came back later this year, his speed was evident last year as he threw himself into every contest with no care for his own safety which stood out, but the 2.81 testing is great, he was one i wanted to see more of this year based on 2021 because of how he attacked the contest and the ball, he is more physical than either of Hill or Smith.

Where do you think Ed will fall now after his combine results?
I think I am really wanting S.O.B now he is one of my fav’s!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most North posters and apparently an ITK believe they'll take Wardlaw and Sheezel. At least it would mean Sheez doesn't go to Essendon.

Most North posters and apparently an ITK believe they'll take Wardlaw and Sheezel. At least it would mean Sheez doesn't go to Essendon.
They're going to take Sheezel at 2 I am told.

Seems crazy to me, but its North.

How did McKenzie and Clark go in the combine? Can’t see their names in the top 10s. Which probably wasn’t expected but at least interesting to understand if an red flags etc.
There are no red flags with any of their testing. Watching games pretty much is what recruiters need. Go look at most top 5 records not many gun players amongst them. Joel Selwood wouldn’t test well at anything. It’s his heart and determination that makes him what he is. These tests are merely a guide.
A player like Ed Allan could jump up with his speed and being injured early but not much else will change.

well Jhye Clark apparently performed poorly at the combine

3.11 (probably bottom 10 percent) 20m
8.7 agility (average to below average for his size)
6.27 (above average) in the 2k
How does that compare to McKenzie? Or others likely be Avila or at 6?

Edit: he is probably tanking to land at pick 7 and the cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back