Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who is the elite clearance player with precision kick into inside 50's
Pick 6..
McKenzie
Phillipou
Clark
Humphey

What's the bet we try to bid on him with that pick, only to be told that it's the original draft pick number that counts.
Wouldn't surprise me, but I think it's fortunate that we're talking about Essendon and not say Sydney or Geelong. I don't think the AFL will change rules on a whim for the Bombers.

Might be wishful thinking but wonder whether Tsatas might be one to slide after some average draft combine results. Humphrey getting some top 5 noise. Could see a world where the top end of the draft looks like this:
1. GWS - Cadman
2. Lions - Ashcroft (matching north bid)
3. North - Wardlaw
4. North - Sheezel
5. Essendon - Humphrey
6. Gold Coast - Clark
7. Hawks - Tsatas

Might be wishful thinking but wonder whether Tsatas might be one to slide after some average draft combine results. Humphrey getting some top 5 noise. Could see a world where the top end of the draft looks like this:
1. GWS - Cadman
3. North - Wardlaw
4. North - Sheezel
5. Essendon - Humphrey
6. Gold Coast - Clark
7. Hawks - Tsatas
Could easily happen. Didn't test well.

1. GWS - Cadman
3. North - Wardlaw
4. North - Sheezel
5. Essendon - Humphrey
6. Gold Coast - Clark
7. Hawks - Tsatas
I have seen a few things about Essendon being keen on Humphrey actually.

Wouldn't surpise me Gold Coast going Clark or MacKenzie, seeing that their list manager has explicity stated they're after a midfielder. I'd say more likely Clark given their tendancy to avoid Vic Metro kids.

I've also heard a couple things about Gold Coast picking Hollands to play with his brother, but IMO that seems like a bridge too far for even Gold Coast.

I'd say if Essendon pass on Tsatas it's likely he'll get to us.

Could easily happen. Didn't test well.
Imagine how demotivating it must be for him at the combine?

"I want you to do your best - the better you do, the more likely you'll be drafted by North Melbourne, Essendon or Gold Coast...":oops: :oops: :oops:

I'm surprised he didn't take 4 steps & go down with a 'grade 10 hamstring injury', requiring 4-6 years of re-hab*...

*self diagnosed;)

Is Geelong's desire to draft Clark something that is actually known or is it one of those "people keep saying it, so it must be true" situations?

If it is actually the case do we think they would still prioritise him over Tsatas if he happened to slip?

I can see Geelong wanting to live trade with us on the night if Clark is still available at our selection. Which could be very lucrative for us. But if Tsatas is still available how do we know they aren't wanting to trade up to pick him instead? Likewise, in that situation they'd have to think we were more into Clark to bother dealing, otherwise they'd just wait for us to pick Tsatas and then take Clark.

A lot of mind games here. Similar to the 2004 draft. If I recall correctly Roughy thought he was Richmond bound after we hadn't shown him a lot of interest prior to the draft, but we knew if we selected Buddy with our first selection Rough was certain to be selected before our pick 5.

So if we're not actually planning to take Clark then maybe we should be interviewing him another couple times before the draft and strategically leaking that we're keen to try and make Geelong blink into live trading with us. Even if they trade up with one of the clubs ahead of us it works out well as then someone we might rate higher still falls through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On draft night I wouldn’t be too disappoint if we traded Pick 6 for West Coasts or Norths future first. Two early first-rounders in next year's draft would be awesome.
I don't see this as too different to selecting Philippou this year

On Nokia 6.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have seen a few things about Essendon being keen on Humphrey actually.

Wouldn't surpise me Gold Coast going Clark or MacKenzie, seeing that their list manager has explicity stated they're after a midfielder. I'd say more likely Clark given their tendancy to avoid Vic Metro kids.

I've also heard a couple things about Gold Coast picking Hollands to play with his brother, but IMO that seems like a bridge too far for even Gold Coast.

I'd say if Essendon pass on Tsatas it's likely he'll get to us.

Essendons rumoured interest in Humphrey confuses me a bit.

They have Stringer and Perkins on their list as the big bodied, explosive mid/fwds. Humphrey would make it 3. Most teams don't even have 1.

On WCE's mock draft, Brisbane's picks that were wiped from the Ashcroft bid left our pick at no.39.
35. Port Adelaide
34. Brisbane Match Ashcroft bid
35. Brisbane Match Ashcroft bid
36. Brisbane Match Ashcroft bid
36. Melbourne
38. Brisbane Match Ashcroft bid
ROUND 3 :
37. Western Bulldogs
38. North Melbourne
39. Hawthorn
40. Sydney

Great spot to pick A. Munkara ;)

A couple of mature agers to consider, that some here might have seen a bit of.

Frank Szekely, who got an invite to the combine might be worth a look as a small forward who can play high half forward.

Also Nigel Lockyer Jr who is a good story, invited to the combine. Has some X factor.

Certainly got a good leg on him.

Wow Wee I like Nigel Lockyer!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Still can't see it with Clark.

Warming to Phillipou.
Strikes me as the type of midfielder we just traded out x2. We need players who impact.

Assuming Wardlaw and Sheezel are gone, my preferences are
1. Tsatas
2. Humphrey
3. Phillipou

I really like Hewett but seems too early at 6 and won't last to our second pick.

What's the bet we try to bid on him with that pick, only to be told that it's the original draft pick number that counts.
Pick 40 is the first pick dons could match a bid for him if he’s there yes and we will have a late 30s pick so it’s an option. Not seen much of him to know if we should but I think Davo-27 had him around pick 20 if I remember correctly

On WCE's mock draft, Brisbane's picks that were wiped from the Ashcroft bid left our pick at no.39.
35. Port Adelaide
34. Brisbane Match Ashcroft bid
35. Brisbane Match Ashcroft bid
36. Brisbane Match Ashcroft bid
36. Melbourne
38. Brisbane Match Ashcroft bid
ROUND 3 :
37. Western Bulldogs
38. North Melbourne
39. Hawthorn
40. Sydney

Great spot to pick A. Munkara ;)