Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see what Clark offers that we don't already have?

At the least there is no point of difference as he doesn't address the glaring need of our midfield - that being class disposal and pace.

We already have tough ball winners in Worpel, Newcombe, Stephens, Nash and Finn.

Given where we are in our rebuild, plus our average draft hand, we need to be selecting the biggest talents that address our needs.

Weighing up the pros and cons in comparison to Phillipou wnd Mackenzie, it seems that Clark is smaller, slower, less athletic, less versatile, is worse by foot and plays a role that is not the biggest pressing need for the team.

With the pros being he's perceived as a safe bet/ high-floor kind of player that is tough, team oriented, offers maximum effort and excellent leadership.
Naah the first pick for currently where we are is best available. The players you have listed are not guaranteed to make it. We are at the stage where we just accumulating talent.

Naah the first pick for currently where we are is best available. The players you have listed are not guaranteed to make it. We are at the stage where we just accumulating talent.

We already have multiple players that play a similar role to Clark.

Granted we just traded out two, but those two weren't being used in that role primarily anyway. And we have brought in Stephens.

Right now we have the base of a good team, so we need to add the elite talent / high end players now.

IMO Clark just adds to that base. Mackenzie too, though he offers a vital point if difference a least, being his class disposal. However Phillipou could be that elite high end player that we are looking for.

Granted we just traded out two, but those two weren't being used in that role primarily anyway. And we have brought in Stephens.

Right now we have the base of a good team, so we need to add the elite talent / high end players now.

IMO Clark just adds to that base. Mackenzie too, though he offers a vital point if difference a least, being his class disposal. However Phillipou could be that elite high end player that we are looking for.
Yeah i know what ure saying but we r going to go best available rather than pick specific players. That may be something we do with our 2nd pick

I can see both sides.
Phillipous' potential up side is very tempting given his size.

Thorpe over Selwood should not be forgotten though.

On a side note Phillipous arm raise as he kicks reminds me of Roughy.

I can see both sides.
Phillipous' potential up side is very tempting given his size.

Thorpe over Selwood should not be forgotten though.

On a side note Phillipous arm raise as he kicks reminds me of Roughy.

Thorpe over Selwood is irrelevant here. Most clubs believe that his knee wasn't going to hold up, which is why he slid down the draft.

I’m not overly fussed with Pick 6, if it’s Clark, McKenzie or Phillipou I’ll be fine with it as I can upside and rationale for all of them being the right one at our selection. I’m sure those who make the decision will know what they’re doing on the night, and will make the best call.
All 3 of these lads would be huge for us, all are right decisions.

Clark should only be a threat to extract something more from the cats (albeit what do they have left). Philippou for mine unless one of the top 4 outside Ashcroft slide. Ok with Mackenzie but I don’t think he’s that much better than hotton or hollands. I know that’s unpopular here but that’s my view, given there are still considerable options to slide to get another pick either this year or next I hope we are exploring those. With our second warming to Darcy Jones,
Like him individually but also wonder if having 2 WA small forwards (with brockman) might ge a good thing for retention coming through together.

In a heartbeat. Love Clark but I cannot split him and McKenzie. Both would fill a need.

Clark allows Newc and Ward to prioritise more on outside work by being the number 1 ball winner and some defensive bite. McKenzie gives us someone who can play that mixture of inside/outside mid with size and speed.

I think either way we can't lose.

Can also see Phillipou or even Ginbey as a POD pick. Ginbey is a tremendous power athlete and is already a big body but not sold on his skills.

I think this is really important. Clark enables Newcombe to burst away from packs, and Ward to focus on linking the play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone melting if we take Ginbey?

Around 2.9 sec 20m
6:15 2km
189cm and elite jumping.

Maybe a bit similar to Cooper stephens, but the upside as a hugh Greenwood on steroids type could be appealing?

We definitely need help with contested ball.

For me he is an interesting one, great physical tools but big limitations in his game and very one-dimensional as an inside mid ATM. If he could learn to accumulate better and be more tidy by foot, he could be a freak

All 3 of these lads would be huge for us, all are right decisions.
Dom, your unrelenting love for all Hawthorn players is admirable, interminable and often unfathomable.

But on this we are of the same mind: when it comes to pick 6(7) = McKenzie, Clark and Phillipou all look to be 200 gamers.

What we do not know is each players commitment and mindset to 10+ years of AFL football. See Sydney Stack = a potential 200 gamer who lacked self-control and commitment to elite sport and so only played 35 games.

I see the reasons for each player…. We will win no matter the outcome.

I don't have a dog in this fight but I think it would be a mistake to assume we have the "tough ball winner" category sewn up. For Newcombe's size and strength he's still proven better as an outlet than a clearance player this season, while our clearance and inside work was really quite poor. Mistakes happen when you start picking for needs or perceived potential instead of best available.

Cooper Stephens is going to surprise a lot of people. Will be best 22 for us very quickly.
Won't surprise me at all. Was projected to go top 10 in is draft year but drifted out to 16 because of a broken leg or similar. Development was hindered by COVID but managed to play 7 games for cats this year which is really impressive. Stephens pretty much had his spot taken by Jack Bowes, arguably Tanner Bruhn as well. Can't wait to see how he tracks comparred to both next year

Dom, your unrelenting love for all Hawthorn players is admirable, interminable and often unfathomable.

But on this we are of the same mind: when it comes to pick 6(7) = McKenzie, Clark and Phillipou all look to be 200 gamers.

What we do not know is each players commitment and mindset to 10+ years of AFL football. See Sydney Stack = a potential 200 gamer who lacked self-control and commitment to elite sport and so only played 35 games.

I see the reasons for each player…. We will win no matter the outcome.
All 3 bring different attributes and styles to the board and it’s just about us picking which suits us better, who we think may end up the pick of the bunch and so on.

As it is list managers have an ordered list of players that they refer to on draft day. They generally have plans and possible trade scenarios associated with some players. This may or may not pan out but its what we will do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back