Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's actually quite amazing how divided the board is over who we should select with our first pick.
The amazing part is not that but the same folks being adamant about their choice and how their choice is a must, based on what appears to be very little information about said player

Last edited:
It will never happen, but I would love to see a Mitch or MM come out and say something along the lines if you're a high level player that's a hawks fan, we will look to eventually come and hey you.

Similar to what port did maybe a year or two with SA players getting drafted. Just to plant that seed in the minds of clubs looking to draft people like Sheezel or Ward last year, that we will come for them.

We seem to have a pretty steady flow of high level talent that are hawks fans.

Once players are in the system I don't think the majority really care though. Gibson, Stephens, Scrimshaw et al didn't demand trades to us because we were their boyhood club - the circumstances just worked out well for them. Players saying 'trade me to X club because they are who I supported as a kid' doesn't really happen all that much - particularly if there is no go home factor involved.

Once players are in the system I don't think the majority really care though. Gibson, Stephens, Scrimshaw et al didn't demand trades to us because we were their boyhood club - the circumstances just worked out well for them. Players saying 'trade me to X club because they are who I supported as a kid' doesn't really happen all that much - particularly if there is no go home factor involved.
Whilst I do agree that the majority don't care as long as they are playing AFL, Sheezel mentions Hawthorn so much in the interviews I have seen of him that I think he will actually push for a trade to us early on.

Oliver is a dead set star. Viney is a great, tough compliment.

But Trac isn't anything like Clark and he wasn't selected by the dees for his 'grunt'. He's explosive. He's a match winner. He took plenty of time to develop also.

In the dees premiership year, Trac was playing close to a Dusty level in that striker, forward of centre role. Maximum impact... So very few teams have that player.

I'm fine if we take Clark. But I think if Tsastas is gone and Humphrey is there, he's the one.

Ward I feel is going to be our ultra consistent two-way mid. Duke our version of an Oliver that will play almost exclusively in the middle.

I'm still holding out hope Worpel will be a part of our future too as an inside mid.

I'd love to take a chance on a match winner, striker type mid our list doesn't have. Humphrey seems that and he's capable of developing up forward initially. Strong overhead.
Lol @ thinking you'll get anyone anywhere near the quality of Dustin Martin or Petracca with our pick.

Lol @ thinking Newcombe's play style is closer to Oliver than it is to Petracca.

Whilst I do agree that the majority don't care as long as they are playing AFL, Sheezel mentions Hawthorn so much in the interviews I have seen of him that I think he will actually push for a trade to us early on.

I'm all for it if he desperately wants to get to us, don't get me wrong. I've just seen so many times now people convince themselves that a player is eventually 'coming home' and it just never materialises (Whitfield is a prime example - it's starting up with Ginnivan now too). I'd suggest that the percentage of high calibre players who don't get drafted to the team they support who then demand trades back there would be in the 90% range though.

I'm all for it if he desperately wants to get to us, don't get me wrong. I've just seen so many times now people convince themselves that a player is eventually 'coming home' and it just never materialises (Whitfield is a prime example - it's starting up with Ginnivan now too). I'd suggest that the percentage of high calibre players who don't get drafted to the team they support who then demand trades back there would be in the 90% range though.
Yeah, it's easy to get caught up. There were those stories of Whitfield attending Grand Finals in Hawthorn gear after being drafted by GWS and even that wasn't enough to draw him across.

Lol @ thinking you'll get anyone anywhere near the quality of Dustin Martin or Petracca with our pick.

You're probably not wrong - but anomalies can happen. Nat Fyfe was taken at pick 20, , Toby Greene at pick 11 Dangerfield at pick 10 - hell even Touk Miller was pick 29.

Yeah, it's easy to get caught up. There were those stories of Whitfield attending Grand Finals in Hawthorn gear after being drafted by GWS and even that wasn't enough to draw him across.

I remember David Schwarz telling the story of how he was still a Hawthorn cheersquad member during his first year with the Demons. Still didn't have him demanding to get to us down the line. The club loyalty eventually gets to the players - you'd only have to look at the club legends we have who probably loved their childhood clubs but thankfully never demanded to go there.

Nailed it.
We need ball winners right now, who are ferocious at the contest. We can't have Wardlaw, so Clark is next in line.

I think back to the Dees. They chose the polish of Toumpas, over the grunt of Wines. They were the worst contested footy side in the history of the game. And passed on Wines. Set em back years - until they picked up Oliver, Trac and Brayshaw.

Must nail these picks based on weakness at the time. Our midfield, Newk aside, is flimsy at best.
Surely we are hoping Newk and especially Ward can be major ball winners going forward?

Lol @ thinking Newcombe's play style is closer to Oliver than it is to Petracca.
I mean you are right it’s harder the later you pick, which is why the further in the rebuild you get the harder it is. Which is why some feel the importance of trying to address that with this pick

I know I'm pointing out the obvious but we will get a good player at our pick
Guaranteed one of Tsatas, Humphrey, Phillipou

As much as people may want Sheezel, we shouldn't hope a player requests a trade across Melbourne just to play for the team he supported as a kid.

That opens up a massive Pandora's Box. It would change everything about drafting and player development. Interstate clubs are already dealing with it through homesickness. Ollie Henry is taking the piss with his motives. But 'Well I barrack for them' is a pretty silly reason when you are dealing with adults performing elite level sport in their chosen career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as people may want Sheezel, we shouldn't hope a player requests a trade across Melbourne just to play for the team he supported as a kid.

That opens up a massive Pandora's Box. It would change everything about drafting and player development. Interstate clubs are already dealing with it through homesickness. Ollie Henry is taking the piss with his motives. But 'Well I barrack for them' is a pretty silly reason when you are dealing with adults performing elite level sport in their chosen career.
Generally the relationships you will build at your new club will be what keeps you there over the allure of the club you supported as a kid. Especially if you haven’t interacted much with anyone at the club.

Henry definitely is different to the norm. But I doubt that will be the standard going forward. However there will be always one or two.

Hustwaite under rated amogst this crop will likly end up at Collingwood but melbourne would take him if had a second rounder

I'm still trying to figure out who the 2022 Ned Long could be. The player rated around the 25-40 mark who ends up almost missing out completely. Was stoked when we picked him up in the rookie draft.

100%.

I think for most people who have played footy or sports in general know it's the culture, the relationships and the journey that make you love a club.

Not some childhood fantasy.

Nailed it.
We need ball winners right now, who are ferocious at the contest. We can't have Wardlaw, so Clark is next in line.

I think back to the Dees. They chose the polish of Toumpas, over the grunt of Wines. They were the worst contested footy side in the history of the game. And passed on Wines. Set em back years - until they picked up Oliver, Trac and Brayshaw.

Must nail these picks based on weakness at the time. Our midfield, Newk aside, is flimsy at best.
Yeah 100%, considering Cadman, Sheezel and Wardlaw will all be gone by our pick 7, Clark is the player I want most in this years draft pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back