Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feels like most of the guys people are keen on for our 2nd (George, Cowan, weddle) will be gone (the cost of not getting the GWS deal done with JOM). Maybe Jones is there but seems a bit of a nice to have - but same time doesn’t seem a heap of mids with pace at that range.

Re our first pick - after the issues with our smallish, slow mids for years (and just moving two on) I just can’t see how/why we’d pick clark who lacks athleticism and not overly damaging and not huge (even if a very good footballer at junior levels). Just seems completely inconsistent with our new style and what we’ve prioritised.

Feels like most of the guys people are keen on for our 2nd (George, Cowan, weddle) will be gone (the cost of not getting the GWS deal done with JOM). Maybe Jones is there but seems a bit of a nice to have - but same time doesn’t seem a heap of mids with pace at that range.

Re our first pick - after the issues with our smallish, slow mids for years (and just moving two on) I just can’t see how/why we’d pick clark who lacks athleticism and not overly damaging and not huge (even if a very good footballer at junior levels). Just seems completely inconsistent with our new style and what we’ve prioritised.
I agree, there must be something there that we haven't seen at the champs.

Could be a Selwood. Could be a Devon Robertson.

Cats don’t have a future 2nd, 3rd or 4th… so they’d need to get all of them in to be able to trade a future 1st
It’s Geelong the afl will change the rules just before the draft to say as long as you hold a pick in the 80s they deem that sufficiently investing in the draft

Innersanctum has us taking Clark, but then also throws this up with Geelong taking McKenzie.

“As a hypothetical, the Cats could offer up this pick and their future first for the Hawks’ Pick 6 and future second if they don’t think Clark will make it through.”

Would we do it? I think so.

It’s a very good mock draft.

In a heartbeat. Love Clark but I cannot split him and McKenzie. Both would fill a need.

Clark allows Newc and Ward to prioritise more on outside work by being the number 1 ball winner and some defensive bite. McKenzie gives us someone who can play that mixture of inside/outside mid with size and speed.

I think either way we can't lose.

Can also see Phillipou or even Ginbey as a POD pick. Ginbey is a tremendous power athlete and is already a big body but not sold on his skills.

Same. Seems to have the most upside and is skilful, big and versatile. We'd also be adding to our large midfield (size wise).
Agree. We've obviously highlighted big lads as mids (Nuke, McGuiness, Nash, Long and now Ex Geelong mid Stephens).
I do NOT want a 178 cm mid unless he has some point of difference traits. We have Ward and Moore, who can rotate through the middle.

Really bullish about our list. We've been extremely lucky with mid season drafts. If we go through our list we'll find a LOT of guns who we picked up with late picks/mid season dft.

Same. Seems to have the most upside and is skilful, big and versatile. We'd also be adding to our large midfield (size wise).

Just after the last clip he copped a knock to his quad and spent the rest of the quarter on the bench, played the last 3 quarter in the forward line clearly hampered and made no impact.

Those one touch and skills in the pouring rain are 😍

He is 45+ for me, I’ve never been his biggest fan. Very small and not overly quick. An early developer he could play a role for a club but he isn’t someone I’d take in the top 40 that’s for sure.
Hey Ed do you know what Bailey humphries endurance testing results were pre season?

Clark allows Newc and Ward to prioritise more on outside work by being the number 1 ball winner and some defensive bite.

Agreed.

I will point out however, that There's a reason we had our eye on Cooper Stephens for as long as we did and brought him to our club.

ModernArtillery eDPS Davo-27 PMBangers
Whats your take on Jed Hagan? Some boards have him in the 20s but others have him really low 45+. Ive seen him play a few times and while he's small (175cm) he looks like a Liam Baker type to me with a lot to offer. Skills and power are sound IMO.
I have him in that 20-40 region of the draft, played very well last year off hbf(WA u19s series sweep over SA) and was 1 of the best for AFL Academy v Coll VFL, was stuck in an ordinary WA Team this year but was probably 5th best for them behind Ginbey, Jones, Hewett and Tholstrup(2023), great over head for a 175cm player with good positioning that meant he got a heap of intercept marks throughout the year in multiple big games, clean skills, decent athleticism, smart, performs in all the big games over a 3 year period, a few knocks like height, lack of speed, but would be worthwhile get in the 2nd Rd I think and can also play midfield to a high standard if given an opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Phillipou a bit on the slow side?
He looks slow but is quick, got 2.98 I think for the 20m sprint, Mackenzie got 2.99 for the 20m sprint or vice versa, anything under 3 is considered quick.

That 1st contest in that clip is a good example, flies for the mark, lands on his back then within 3 seconds is getting the ball and feeding a runner out the back #21 red, it's pretty insane play

Last edited:
A couple of mature agers to consider, that some here might have seen a bit of.

Frank Szekely, who got an invite to the combine might be worth a look as a small forward who can play high half forward.

Also Nigel Lockyer Jr who is a good story, invited to the combine. Has some X factor.

Certainly got a good leg on him.

He looks slow but is quick, got 2.98 I think for the 20m sprint, Mackenzie got 2.99 for the 20m sprint or vice versa, anything under 3 is considered quick.

That 1st contest in that clip is a good example, flies for the mark, lands on his back then within 3 seconds is getting the ball and feeding a runner out the back #21 red, it's pretty insane play
I almost let the clip run from that contest, it's insane recovery time to fly for the ball and already be involved in the very next play.

Two things people should note from that video, he was kicking with both feet and all the clips took place in the first 8 minutes of the game.

Last edited:
Not the biggest fan of Phillipou but am trying to come around to it as so many seem to really like him on this board. Can someone tell me how he compares to Neil Erasmus from last year?

He was my number 2 for our pick behind Ward and i haven't seen much of him this year but I think he's been alright.

Both are roughly 190cm midfielders who excel in the air and are quite athletic. From the very limited footage I've seen of Phillipou, I'd say I prefer Erasmus because he seems to be a better mark and ball user. Maybe I'm wrong but I'd just like to know how they compare because they seem very similar.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

ModernArtillery eDPS Davo-27 PMBangers
Whats your take on Jed Hagan? Some boards have him in the 20s but others have him really low 45+. Ive seen him play a few times and while he's small (175cm) he looks like a Liam Baker type to me with a lot to offer. Skills and power are sound IMO.
He's a really solid footballer, but the upside feels so limited. Caleb Daniel and Liam Baker are the prototypes and I think there's certainly scope for him to translate in a similar role/capacity, but I'd personally just rather buy the talent and upside of others if I'm picking inside the first 35-40 picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back